Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lyoto Machida Would Have Taken Middleweight Bout To Stay Busy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida had another shot at the title at UFC 140 against Jon Jones, but got choked out in the second round. Four months later he was still waiting for another fight and was apparently starting to get antsy. He was recently booked against TUF 9 winner Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 4 on August 4th but before that, he just wanted to fight. He was relieved by the Bader booking, and told Globo he was even willing to take a middleweight bout just to stay active (translation via Tom Mendes):

I was ready to fight but the opportunity was not there. The division is lacking, it’s a bit mixed, and I didn’t know, right (who would be my next opponent)? I even had the intention of fighting at 185lbs so I wouldn’t lose the opportunity of keeping busy. I spoke to Ed Soares and (Jorge Guimarães), but they told me to be patient.

Look, I’m a guy that usually weighs at most 96kg (211lbs), so I don’t think there would be a problem fighting (at middleweight). My objective is to fight at (205lbs), but to make a fight at middleweight would not be a problem.

Link

Post #1   5/2/12 8:18:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Chael welcomes Machida down to the greatest weight class in the UFC

Post #2   5/2/12 8:20:58PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Chael welcomes Machida down to the greatest weight class in the UFC

That's laughable but I would definitely like to see Machida test his skills at MW.

Post #3   5/2/12 8:24:19PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
First of all, Machida needs a new camp. I personally feel he has been kept away from the middle weight division for selfish reasons. He was willing to fight at middle weight and Soar tells him to be patient.

Machida is a true middle weight fighter. He said it himself - he only walks around 211 lbs. He could fight at middle weight or welter weight.

Anderson Silva walks around at a much heavier weight than Machida and he fights in middle weight. Do you guys see what is going on?

The one guy who could possibly beat Anderson is being kept away.

Machida, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Your camp leader is doing a number on you. Your training partner is doing a number on you. When are you going to realize this..? You have been fooled.

I personally believe, at 185, Machida will be a dominant champion. It's too bad...By the time Machida realizes he has been screwed, it will have been too late.

Post #4   5/2/12 8:49:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He would dominate at MW, just like Anderson.

Post #5   5/2/12 8:54:04PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
When Machida gets muscled, I can see him dropping, but until then, I don't see the point.

Post #6   5/2/12 8:54:59PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
If I'm Machida, I would attempt one more run at Jones. It would take stringing together a couple wins to get the chance and by that point, if he loses again, MW division could be ripe for the picking with Anderson likely on his way out the door.

I would personally like to see Machida down at MW right away cause I'm not very hopeful for his future with Jones at LHW and he would be a lot of fun to watch with some fresh contenders in MW.

Post #7   5/2/12 9:45:17PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:
Moving down in weight doesn't always gurantee success, but who knows. Machida vs. Belfort would be a classic.

Post #8   5/2/12 11:26:16PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I too think that Machida should move down. He isn't going to beat Jones IMO.

Jones is too young. Too fast and too strong for him

Post #9   5/3/12 12:51:03AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Moving down in weight doesn't always gurantee success, but who knows. Machida vs. Belfort would be a classic.

Post #10   5/3/12 1:07:21AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by george112

I too think that Machida should move down. He isn't going to beat Jones IMO.

Jones is too young. Too fast and too strong for him

Based on what? He wasn't exactly outclassed in their first fight.

Post #11   5/3/12 8:30:32AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,116-1,327
Chips:
Dont care what weight class he fights I love his style. Lombard Machida!

Post #12   5/3/12 8:38:51AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

It Gurantees only one thing and that is you will stand on a scale and be lighter. It drives me nuts when a guy loses and everyone is automaticly trying to get him to drop. All that being said I would love to see Machida at 185 and Andy jump to 205

Post #13   5/3/12 8:39:49AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

It Gurantees only one thing and that is you will stand on a scale and be lighter. It drives me nuts when a guy loses and everyone is automaticly trying to get him to drop. All that being said I would love to see Machida at 185 and Andy jump to 205

I think for him rashad and shogun all, cutting the weight is fighting faster guys and Machida imo will fail against chael or Vitor. I hug his nuts close but I see a Brandon Vera effect.

Post #14   5/3/12 9:47:01AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't think the point most people are trying to make when they want to see someone move up or down is because they think the fighter will magically become better. I think it is because the respective fighter has usually exhausted his options in a division, but still may have championship potential and could find it elsewhere.

For example, Rich Franklin. After he lost to Silva a second time I wanted to see him move back up to LHW, not because I thought he would necessarily be better, but because at least he would have a chance to go for a belt and there would be a little more incentive.

As I said in my previous post, if I were Machida I would consider one more run at Jones as I think it's worth the attempt though he would have to string together some wins to get to that point. But if he loses that fight, MW would be interesting, and he may just want to consider making that move now while he is still a top competitor.

Post #15   5/3/12 10:10:25AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2