Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mauricio Shogun Rua vs Thiago Silva @ UFC 149

Print  
Shogun vs Silva
Shogun 19 86%
Silva 3 14%
Posted By Message

ShOgUnWANDerlei

Learning to Sprawl

ShOgUnWANDerlei Avatar

Career:115-93
Chips:
Confirmed by MMAJunkie.
I can't wait to see Shogun back in action.
Who ya got?

Post #1   4/29/12 11:24:18PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
im picking an upset and going for thiago silva in this one, he is the bigger and stronger guy and if he gets this to the ground i can see shogun in some trouble. thiago all the way ! flabby shogun's peak is over !

Post #2   4/30/12 4:43:52AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

im picking an upset and going for thiago silva in this one, he is the bigger and stronger guy and if he gets this to the ground i can see shogun in some trouble. thiago all the way ! flabby shogun's peak is over !

Bigger and Stronger in what sense?

I'm fairly certain Shogun is the wider, more stockier built of the two.

Post #3   4/30/12 5:10:49AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,155-1,264
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by aussiemma

Agreed! People need to remember that he's only showed a ground game against Vera and he was juiced up. Shogun subs him easily if it hits the ground and knocks him out if it stays standing. Shoguns giving him his pink slip!

Post #4   4/30/12 5:45:56AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Posted by Pookie

Posted by aussiemma

Agreed! People need to remember that he's only showed a ground game against Vera and he was juiced up. Shogun subs him easily if it hits the ground and knocks him out if it stays standing. Shoguns giving him his pink slip!

I don't know that a loss gets Thiago his pink slip, although he may be on a short leash due to the failed test. I have to agree that Shogun has the advantage anywhere this goes though. This seems more like a showcase fight for Shogun against a guy that will make sure it's an exciting fight. I like Silva, but I think he's a step below guys like Shogun, Machida, Rampage, etc. on that second tier that's gathering below Bones.

Post #5   4/30/12 8:30:49AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
I think Shogun takes this fight. Shogun IMO has better standup, ground game, cardio, and a better chin. I think this will be a good win for Shogun to get him on track.

Post #6   4/30/12 10:38:17AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Posted by Pookie

Posted by aussiemma

Thiago absolutely wont get submitted from top unless he gasses. Shoguns subs are overated. Unfortunately for Silva Shoguns striking isnt overrated.

Post #7   4/30/12 11:35:03AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
I like the fight. I think shogun will win

Post #8   4/30/12 12:17:06PM   

ShOgUnWANDerlei

Learning to Sprawl

ShOgUnWANDerlei Avatar

Chips:
Shogun wins no matter where this fight goes imo. If the H Bombs couldn't sink Rua's ship, then anything Silva throws won't either. Shogun by 1st rd tko.

Post #9   4/30/12 3:55:29PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Posted by Pookie

Posted by aussiemma

shogun subs thiago easily ? ok for one he has never been submitted, he has a bjj black belt and thiago's world is the ground so i dont understand how shogun could easily submit him. he's only showed a ground game against vera ?? have you seen the antonio mendes fight, he brutalized him on the ground.
i just think that if thiago doesnt get caught and he can get it against the cage or on the ground then he can bully and dominate shogun.
i still rate thiago highly, he gave rashad a very tough fight. gladly av bet anyone when the time comes

Post #10   4/30/12 9:33:39PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Shogun will pick him apart all night.

Post #11   5/1/12 9:27:15AM   

ShOgUnWANDerlei

Learning to Sprawl

ShOgUnWANDerlei Avatar

Chips:

shogun subs thiago easily ? ok for one he has never been submitted, he has a bjj black belt and thiago's world is the ground so i dont understand how shogun could easily submit him. he's only showed a ground game against vera ?? have you seen the antonio mendes fight, he brutalized him on the ground.
i just think that if thiago doesnt get caught and he can get it against the cage or on the ground then he can bully and dominate shogun.
i still rate thiago highly, he gave rashad a very tough fight. gladly av bet anyone when the time comes

While I agree that I don't see Thiago getting submitted, I do see him losing. Even still this is going to be a great fight and I don't see Shogun walking thru him. I do as well rate Silva highly, he's been gone for so long it will take him a couple fights to get his groove back. I gladly accept your AV bet when the time comes.

Post #12   5/3/12 2:09:49PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Pretty sweet although I'd much rather see either of these guys fight Rampage than eachother.

Post #13   5/10/12 1:31:04PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Shogun landes a lunging hook, drops Thiago, then pounds him out... much like Chuck.

Shogun 2nd round TKO

Post #14   5/17/12 1:19:54PM