Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC sponsor Anheuser-Busch warns promotion to monitor fighter behavior

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Blue-chip sponsor Anheuser-Busch has sent a message that it's keeping an eye on the behavior of UFC fighters outside the cage.

The multi-national brewer, which owns the Bud Light and Bud Light Lime brands prominently advertised in the UFC, reprimanded the fight promotion for a series of sexist and homophobic remarks made by fighters in public and over social media.

"If the incidents continue, we will act," Anheuser-Busch said in a statement prepared for Advertising Age...

Full Story

Post #1   4/27/12 3:32:58AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Chips:
I felt very conflicted when I read this article. On the one hand, I want MMA to succeed in the mainstream. And sometimes I do think certain fighters and certain representatives (Joe Rogan, Dana White) have very detrimental public images, justly based on detrimental conduct. There are other issues that can hurt the mainstream aspirations of mixed martial arts, but these shortcomings are the most easily correctable, IMO.

On the other hand, part of me said "Fuck Anheuser-Busch!!" Getting a lecture from that company about what's good for society is like taking parenting advice from Chris Benoit. Lots of people probably appreciate the realness of the fighters. The UFC is onward and upward with this FOX deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to make a lateral sponsor move from if the need were to arise.

Post #2   4/27/12 7:20:08AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I felt very conflicted when I read this article. On the one hand, I want MMA to succeed in the mainstream. And sometimes I do think certain fighters and certain representatives (Joe Rogan, Dana White) have very detrimental public images, justly based on detrimental conduct. There are other issues that can hurt the mainstream aspirations of mixed martial arts, but these shortcomings are the most easily correctable, IMO.

On the other hand, part of me said "Fuck Anheuser-Busch!!" Getting a lecture from that company about what's good for society is like taking parenting advice from Chris Benoit. Lots of people probably appreciate the realness of the fighters. The UFC is onward and upward with this FOX deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to make a lateral sponsor move from if the need were to arise.

If you want MMA to be mainstream, this is a part of the path, like it or not. Big time fighters can't be making jokes about rape on twitter, it just can't happen. The UFC is a professional sports organization that desperately wants credibility to hang with the big boys.

Post #3   4/27/12 7:38:26AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,897-1,500
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
What message does it send when the fighters get a bonus for posting on twitter, and have a president who has called reporters every name in the book. It has to start at the top

Post #4   4/27/12 7:41:39AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,351-1,264
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

What message does it send when the fighters get a bonus for posting on twitter, and have a president who has called reporters every name in the book. It has to start at the top

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   4/27/12 8:27:47AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:
I wonder if Anheuser-Busch worries about the behavior of the people who drink their product? I think that is who they should be worried about instead. Alcohol is the drug with the worst impact on society. Alcohol companies are nothing more than "legit" cartels. Their concern over fighter behavior is insulting to anyone with half a brain.

Post #6   4/27/12 8:30:07AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Chips:
Well I think we all knew this was coming. What I hope for is that A-B knows it has to make statements like this, but they've been a sponsor since 2008, they (hopefully) know the UFC and what Dana & Co. are like, and they do what they have to and give a nod and a wink to Dana. In other words, like in politics, they make their grandstanding statements, but they don't really do anything about it.

Post #7   4/27/12 9:11:10AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I've long said that if MMA is to achieve mainstream elite sport status (football, basketball, etc.) They will need a new front man. Dana White is no Roger Goodell or David Stern.

I realize what he's done for the sport and that at one point the UFC needed someone like him, but that time has passed. When the behavior of the President is cause for concern and a possible detriment to the advancement of the company it's time to step-aside. No need to resign, but be a bit more behind the scenes like Fertita.

The most concerning thing to me is the letter sent by the Domestic Abuse agency to New York imploring them to uphold their ban on the UFC based on the actions of fighters and explicitly Dana White and Joe Rogan. That's no good.

Post #8   4/27/12 9:17:33AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dump those St Louis swill peddlers and move on to real sponsors that make real beer in a real city.

Post #9   4/27/12 9:28:00AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:938-531
Chips:
Guess the NFL gets a pass then.

Post #10   4/27/12 9:50:16AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
A beer company monitoring fight behavior? BRILLIANT!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #11   4/27/12 9:59:19AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Dump those St Louis swill peddlers and move on to real sponsors that make real beer in a real city.

Hell yeah!

Post #12   4/27/12 10:06:36AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
or we could go a different direction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8XhIDXuFQ

Post #13   4/27/12 10:09:12AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
It's a negotiation. AB expresses a desire like this because while they might actually get it, they're more likely to compromise and get a bit less to keep an advertising platform happy. AB's also setting a reason here to back out in the future if another "surprise van" tweet pops up. Whether AB would be pulling out more for financial reasons is immaterial - it set the expectation and would get a little good press out of it.

And sure, while alcohol's responsible for a lot more bad stuff than inappropriate tweets, AB is still a business with PR and marketing teams and they need to keep the company image as sound as possible.

In short, it's the advertising/politics/power game, nothing new here.

Post #14   4/27/12 10:59:31AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Guess the NFL gets a pass then.

To be fair those guys only fund dog fighting rings and kill their pregnant girlfriends.

Post #15   4/27/12 11:11:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2