Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida will be a judge at next week’s UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, N.J.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board announced Thursday that former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida will be a judge at next week’s UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, N.J.

Almeida, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who fought out of the Garden State and had a UFC record of 6-5, will score the co-headliner bout between Johny Hendricks and Josh Koscheck, as well as a main card heavyweight clash between Pat Barry and Lavar Johnson, according to Sherdog.com.

On a pre-fight conference call Thursday, the two co-main event fighters gave their thoughts on the appointment of Almeida, a New York City native who runs a jiu-jitsu school in Hamilton, N.J.

Link

Post #1   4/26/12 3:49:42PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
more former fighters should be judges.

Post #2   4/26/12 3:58:49PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,519-865
Chips:
Cool stuff!

Post #3   4/26/12 4:06:53PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
about damn time we start seeing this kind of thing.

Post #4   4/26/12 5:02:30PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I like this a lot. He knows the difficulty of certain situations and how much effort it takes to not only finish a fight but escape a sub

Post #5   4/26/12 5:17:45PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I like this a lot. He knows the difficulty of certain situations and how much effort it takes to not only finish a fight but escape a sub

I think Ricardo deserves a shot but lets be honest here Fernando Yamasaki is a black belt in both Judo and BJJ and he was telling __________(please fill in the black the fighters name escapes me) to get to work when he was in mount and doing very nice work. I agree a guys background in the sport is going to help but some ppl are just plain not cut out for thoes jobs.

Post #6   4/26/12 5:35:47PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

I think Ricardo deserves a shot but lets be honest here Fernando Yamasaki is a black belt in both Judo and BJJ and he was telling __________(please fill in the black the fighters name escapes me) to get to work when he was in mount and doing very nice work. I agree a guys background in the sport is going to help but some ppl are just plain not cut out for thoes jobs.

I feel have competed in judo and Bjj is a different monster then fighting in MMA. Almeida, imo, is more aware of what's going on.

Post #7   4/26/12 5:47:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by postman

reffing and judging are 2 separate things. Now I hope more former fighters go this route

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   4/26/12 5:48:05PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

I feel have competed in judo and Bjj is a different monster then fighting in MMA. Almeida, imo, is more aware of what's going on.

So your telling me a black belt in both of those sports has an excuse for what he did simply because its MMA? Its mount Being a high level player of both sports one would think he should know that even in MMA it is a good thing to be sitting on another mans chest.

Now as to the Refing and judging comment. So What? The talk is more judges and refs need to come from fighting backgrounds. I'm saying that while it will help to improve things its not a cure all. Hell Nick Diaz thinks that fights should be judged on who would win the fight had it kept going, not on who won the fight while it happened. You really want that guy judging your next big time UFC card? Hes a top of the food chian fighter.

Edit:
All I'm saying is don't get too excited that fighters are entering these jobs. Its not going to fix everything

Last edited 4/26/12 6:05PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   4/26/12 6:03:39PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by postman

Now as to the Refing and judging comment. So What? The talk is more judges and refs need to come from fighting backgrounds. I'm saying that while it will help to improve things its not a cure all. Hell Nick Diaz thinks that fights should be judged on who would win the fight had it kept going, not on who won the fight while it happened. You really want that guy judging your next big time UFC card? Hes a top of the food chian fighter.

obviously some fighters are better suited than others. Diaz would give zero points to any wrestler who keeps top control. I don't want to see Liddell be a judge either. Matt Serra or Chris Lytle on the other hand would be better suited. Possibly Couture as well.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   4/26/12 6:13:24PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Almeida will be a verry good judge.

Post #11   4/26/12 6:35:02PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

So your telling me a black belt in both of those sports has an excuse for what he did simply because its MMA? Its mount Being a high level player of both sports one would think he should know that even in MMA it is a good thing to be sitting on another mans chest.

Edit:
All I'm saying is don't get too excited that fighters are entering these jobs. Its not going to fix everything

I'm not sure what you're thinking I'm saying. There should be no excuse for bad calls. What I'm saying is a MMA fighter knows what he's looking at more then someone who hasn't fought in mma. Plus, Yamasaki wasn't judging....Almeida is

Last edited 4/26/12 6:48PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   4/26/12 6:47:10PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Edit:

I'm not sure what you're thinking I'm saying. There should be no excuse for bad calls. What I'm saying is a MMA fighter knows what he's looking at more then someone who hasn't fought in mma. Plus, Yamasaki wasn't judging....Almeida is

I see what you are saying but are you picking up what I'm putting down? Just because a guy has fought doesn't mean he would be a good judge or ref. I agree it will help but by no means is it going to be a sure thing. And as i said before I think Ricardo will do fine and deserves a chance.

Post #13   4/26/12 6:56:56PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Edit:

I see what you are saying but are you picking up what I'm putting down? Just because a guy has fought doesn't mean he would be a good judge or ref. I agree it will help but by no means is it going to be a sure thing. And as i said before I think Ricardo will do fine and deserves a chance.

for me to think Almeida is gonna fix everything would be a grave mistake. What I was thinking and probably should have stated earlier is its a step in the right direction.

Post #14   4/26/12 7:09:45PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Chips:
Almeida will be the best MMA judge ever & there will never be another bad decision in mma ever again

Post #15   4/26/12 8:04:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2