Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chuck Liddell would entertain Octagon return for title fight versus Jon Jones

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Chuck Liddell was one of the greatest champions in the history of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As the 205-pound strap owner, he defended his belt four consecutive times, during a two-plus year period where he went undefeated.

"The Iceman" was a pioneer, who held a cult-like following of mixed martial arts (MMA) fans who swore by his legend. Some of them even cut their hair like him, mimicking his trademark mohawk.

But "Father Time" caught up with Liddell, as he does, ever so cruelly, with us all.

During a three-year stretch, Liddell painfully dropped five of his last six fights; four of which came by way of (technical) knockout. It was hard to watch, and when UFC President Dana White finally forced him to hang up the eight-ounce gloves, there were few who objected to the decision.

Liddell recently did an interview with "UFC Tonight," where he discussed that decision, as well as what life is like for him after professional fighting. He's comfortable being a father, a businessman and a fight fan. He's in no hurry to step back into the Octagon, but there is one fight he'd seriously consider coming out of retirement for.

The answer may surprise you:

"The only thing that would even make me think about it is if they gave me a shot at the title. So, we'll see. For now? Yeah. Jon Jones. I don't wanna come back as a sideshow. It's just one of those things. It's not something I wanna do."

Liddell went on to comment about "Bones" and the current tear he's been on, as he continues to carve notches into his belt for every big name he puts down in the Light Heavyweight division.

Chuck was highly complimentary, but he was honest about the possibility of Jones eventually meeting his match:

"I'll never say never. Not in this sport. Anybody can lose at any time. If he keeps doing what he does, he's gonna be hard to beat if he keeps doing what he's doing. He follows his game plan. He trains hard. He keeps learning. He's young and he's athletic and a great athlete. He's a great guy. He's gonna be hard to beat, but I'm never gonna say no one's gonna beat him."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   4/25/12 11:04:55AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,354-1,409
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
and who wouldnt come out of retirement to fight for the title..duh!..lol

Post #2   4/25/12 11:14:00AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
and we thought mark hunt was a crazy option for a title fight

Post #3   4/25/12 11:15:59AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,116-1,327
Chips:
Damn that would be upsetting to watch.

Post #4   4/25/12 11:18:47AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Ahhh, it's good to see the drunk Chuck back.....we missed you!

Post #5   4/25/12 11:45:35AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,252-1,209
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't feel like seeing Chuck get massacred again.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   4/25/12 12:46:58PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Come back from retirement for a brutally fast KO....sorry Chuck, put down the bottle of tequila and get a clue.

Post #7   4/25/12 12:53:01PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't think anyone actually read the article. Yes, the title is an attention grabber, but it's out of context.

Post #8   4/25/12 1:04:25PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:
Come on Chuck, you wouldn't last. I mean, you're the one we're referencing when we say a fighter has C.L.S. (Chuck Liddell Syndrome)

Post #9   4/25/12 1:11:58PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I don't think anyone actually read the article. Yes, the title is an attention grabber, but it's out of context.

I just read the article and I am having trouble understanding how you think the "attention grabbing title" is out of context?????? Did YOU read the article? Maybe you read a different article...or maybe you put things into your own "special" context.

Post #10   4/25/12 1:32:21PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

This. It's from an interview on Fuel TV and all Chuck said was he would ENTERTAIN the idea of coming back if the title shot was his, but we all know it would never happen. He was just answerig the questions he was asked, and didn't act as though he believed it would happen.

Post #11   4/25/12 1:47:30PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by grappler0000

I just read the article and I am having trouble understanding how you think the "attention grabbing title" is out of context?????? Did YOU read the article? Maybe you read a different article...or maybe you put things into your own "special" context.

The title is a paraphrasing of an out of context statement made in an interview, where little snippets were lifted for the purpose of a headline. Par for the course for Mania. The only difference with this is that they didn't give it a "UFC Quick Quote" title as they usually do with these.

Post #12   4/25/12 2:34:26PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Blame the people that ask these stupid questions.

Post #13   4/25/12 2:39:55PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by grappler0000

The title is a paraphrasing of an out of context statement made in an interview, where little snippets were lifted for the purpose of a headline. Par for the course for Mania. The only difference with this is that they didn't give it a "UFC Quick Quote" title as they usually do with these.

I'm with you, Dave. It clearly looks like one of those situations where Chuck is acknowledging that it's never going to happen first, but if it did, the only way it would is if it was a fight with Jon Jones.

They're twisting to make it look like he's ready to unretire and come back just to fight Jones when he appears more than happily retired and unless the UFC gives him a free title shot (which isn't going to happen and he knows it), he isn't coming back.

Post #14   4/25/12 2:46:38PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,474-841
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by grappler0000

i read your reply to grappler twice & it came off sassy both times. did YOU intend for it to come off sassy? or did i put things into my own "special" context?

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #15   4/25/12 2:49:37PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2