Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC's Dan Henderson On Jon Jones Failure To Connect With Fans

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the undisputed #1 LHW in the world according to the USA TODAY/MMA Nation Consensus Rankings. He's also the most dominant LHW UFC champ since Chuck Liddell's reign ended in 2007 and yet fans are not flocking to the 24-year-old champ to the degree his accomplishments would seem to merit.

MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani asked Jones' next challenger, UFC, Pride and Strikeforce veteran Dan Henderson for his take on why Jones isn't clicking with fans. Henderson's reply was characteristically direct:

Link

Post #1   4/25/12 12:58:41AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
1st thing i wanna say is that Dan is right. Genuine is not what i see when i see Jones.

2nd thing i wanna say is that Blonde behind Dan is Gorgeous

Post #2   4/25/12 1:01:30AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I dont like or dislike Jones, but I can see why he rubs people the wrong way. Especially in the post fight press conference. Its almost as if he tries too hard.

Post #3   4/25/12 4:18:30AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
The thing I don't like about jones is the way he does those kicks at peoples knees at the begining of fights. They seem like a very dirty move that should be banned.

Post #4   4/25/12 4:34:00AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I saw on yahoo news How they believe Jones may be the first star to "transcend" the sport.
He's probably,without a doubt the best LHW champion ever and in such a short amount of time. But their's just something about him.....I don't know how to pin point it exactly.

Post #5   4/25/12 7:54:15AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by landstander

The thing I don't like about jones is the way he does those kicks at peoples knees at the begining of fights. They seem like a very dirty move that should be banned.

If you're talking about the stomp kicks to the knee area, I am in complete disagreement. I see very few fighters utilizing them and they could be very useful. Anderson and Jones are the only fighters I have noticed really putting them to use. I don't see how they are dirty enough to be banned.

Post #6   4/25/12 10:02:51AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

If you're talking about the stomp kicks to the knee area, I am in complete disagreement. I see very few fighters utilizing them and they could be very useful. Anderson and Jones are the only fighters I have noticed really putting them to use. I don't see how they are dirty enough to be banned.

Dirty moves:
Fish Hook
Eye poke
Groin strike
Checking the Oil
Wett willy & reverse wett willy

thats the list in my book

Post #7   4/25/12 10:33:33AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

Stomping is illegal i believe, however foot stomps are allowed? And they will fuck your knee up if you get caught off guard. Go take one and give me your medical bill.

Post #8   4/25/12 10:44:10AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

Stomping is illegal i believe, however foot stomps are allowed? And they will fuck your knee up if you get caught off guard. Go take one and give me your medical bill.

Why not get rid of leg kicks too? I mean if someone catches the side of the knee while a guy's leg is locked, it could cause damage too!

Guys just need to be on their toes.

And to Dan's comments... "Jon, go check on him. Go get some fans."

That is all.

Post #9   4/25/12 11:17:33AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

Stomping of a "grounded opponent" is illegal. You know what else will fuck you up if you're caught off guard? Punches to the face. Kicks to the face. Knees to the face. Obviously that's not reason enough to ban a move.

Post #10   4/25/12 11:18:47AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

Stomping of a "grounded opponent" is illegal. You know what else will fuck you up if you're caught off guard? Punches to the face. Kicks to the face. Knees to the face. Obviously that's not reason enough to ban a move.

Don't forget submissions - leg locks, ankle locks, armbars etc. Just ask Big Nog how damaging they can be, but I you dont hear him saying they should be banned. It's a combat sport, which by definition is dangerous and severe bodily harm can occur to those that participate.

Post #11   4/25/12 12:41:38PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Jones is fake as fuck.

He presents one face in planned interviews when he's had time to get coached and another (much less appealing) face when its a spur of the moment thing.

He's also WAYYYYYY to cocky.

Post #12   4/25/12 7:03:46PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by landstander

Don't forget submissions - leg locks, ankle locks, armbars etc. Just ask Big Nog how damaging they can be, but I you dont hear him saying they should be banned. It's a combat sport, which by definition is dangerous and severe bodily harm can occur to those that participate.

Youre all right, but we did ban 12-6 elbows.

Post #13   4/26/12 5:54:19AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:781-378
Chips:
I like the guy in general, although I'm not an uber-fan or anything. For the most part, I judge based on accomplishment, skillset and fight style. As much as people want to hate him, and call him a mediocre fighter, he's defended the belt multiple times and nobody can solve that puzzle. Clearly he's doing something right.

As for his personality - I find it confident, personable, he likes to joke around, and maybe occasionally he might come off as a bit cocky. But I've said before - it's their job to sell and market themselves and their abilities and when you have the belt, you've earned the right to have that kind of pride.

Any guy in his position, at his age, with his level of success and $$ would be WAY cocky! I don't blame him at all for that. Plus anytime you reach that level of hype, there's going to be haters. It's just part of the game.

Post #14   4/26/12 8:16:58AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

I like the guy in general, although I'm not an uber-fan or anything. For the most part, I judge based on accomplishment, skillset and fight style. As much as people want to hate him, and call him a mediocre fighter, he's defended the belt multiple times and nobody can solve that puzzle. Clearly he's doing something right.

As for his personality - I find it confident, personable, he likes to joke around, and maybe occasionally he might come off as a bit cocky. But I've said before - it's their job to sell and market themselves and their abilities and when you have the belt, you've earned the right to have that kind of pride.

Any guy in his position, at his age, with his level of success and $$ would be WAY cocky! I don't blame him at all for that. Plus anytime you reach that level of hype, there's going to be haters. It's just part of the game.

He's already one of the greatest of all time on resume. Im an Anderson nutthugger but Jones resume probably stacks evenly with Andersons after only a short career and title run. That being said i dislike Jones just like most people seem to here.

Post #15   4/26/12 11:08:58AM