Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Today's Awkward, Four-Part Staredown (Silva/Sonnen 2)

Print  
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:913-568
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Today, we were treated to a very interesting presser in Brazil, where Dana announced the move of the Silva/Sonnen rematch from Brazil to Las Vegas. Chael finally showed his face in the country where he is most hated (assuming we didn't see a Tupac-like hologram of Chael today). We had Chael being his normal self, interrupting and throwing barbs at an Anderson who was chastising Chael's demeanor. I was suprised how short it lasted, as apparently was Dana. After a day's worth of traveling with Chael, the media seemed content with just 15-20 minutes of translated questioning.

What I'm going to be talking about though is the staredown at the end. It was as awkward as it was intense, and I've broken it down into four distinct parts.

Part 1 - The Sweet Whisperings

In this first, failed, staredown; the dudes just get way too close. Chael tries to do his signature intense staredown but for some reason they are put 10 inches closer to each-other than they should be. This gives the appearance that the two men are sharing a special moment with each-other. "I wish I knew how to quit you, Andy."

Part 2 - The Attempted Robbery

This part made me laugh audibly, even though I was watching the presser alone. Dana realizes that the prior showing of affection was no staredown at all, and they needed to do another one. Also, Anderson Silva is given his belt by a handler. Chael reaches out to take the belt from an annoyed Anderson's hands. Dana smartly restrains Chael before it gets too serious.

Part 3 - The Photo-Op

Chael Sonnen, the constant entertainer. As they square up to take a non-romantic photo, it's seen that Chael will not be looking back at the champ, who was transfixed on Sonnen. In typical WWE/Chael fashion, Sonnen hams up for the camera and gives a big smile while Anderson seems unfazed scowling at Sonnen.

Part 4 - The Actual Staredown

After 1-2 minutes of attempting to stage a staredown for pressers, we finally get a few seconds of an actual staredown! Right before breaking the fighters up, they finally give-in and the rivals get a nice old-fashioned staredown in. Maybe after all the sweet whispers, both men were too bashful to stare at one another for more than a few seconds though. Either way, Anderson broke the gaze first and walked off the stage, leaving us all anxious for the fight now slated for the July 4th weekend in Vegas.

Post #1   4/24/12 6:04:49PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
I had a good laugh from these.

Post #2   4/24/12 6:13:10PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Its impossible to hate Sonnen!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   4/24/12 7:19:54PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Its impossible to hate Sonnen!

I actually find him easy to hate

to each his own i guess

Post #4   4/24/12 7:21:18PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
Sonnen has been a little stale for me lately but he was pretty good at the press conference today.

Post #5   4/24/12 7:36:22PM   

jesustapped

Learning to Sprawl

jesustapped Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
The undisputed, undefeated, the linear champion and the absolute best middleweight on the face of the planet.

Post #6   4/24/12 7:43:58PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by jesustapped

The undisputed, undefeated, the linear champion and the absolute best middleweight on the face of the planet.

Thank you.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #7   4/24/12 7:47:26PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Chael reaching for the belt

Post #8   4/24/12 8:34:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He looks a little Dean Lister'ish in the pictures above. And like the bastard lovechild of Ken Shamrock and Stich Duran in the picture with the fake nose/glasses.

Post #9   4/24/12 8:51:22PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:913-568
Chips:
Oh my god, that picture with the disguise is hilarious. I felt more like I was watching a comedy show than an actual press conference watching that.

Goddamn, is UFC 148 going to be epic or what?

Post #10   4/25/12 7:35:04PM