Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Televisions vs. Guns

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I'm moving out to Montana in a little under two weeks, and being as we're living in bear country, I wanted to get some practice with big bore weapons to make sure I could stop a bear with accurate fire with heavy weapons. Being short a bear or two for this, I managed to pick up three TV sets for the occasion.

It was pretty sweet hitting a TV with a .44 mag and 12ga (alternating slugs and shot). The .44 mag punched fist sized holes in the screens, and the buck shot basically disintegrated anything it hit. Only downside was getting hit by ricochette when bird shot hit the wooden frame on one of the tvs, as it came back and stung me pretty good.

Overall, an excellent day of blasting televisions with high-powered weapons, a-la Elvis Presley.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #1   5/23/07 11:13:12PM   

hughesfan1

MMA Regular

hughesfan1 Avatar

Career:271-156
Camp: UFC 4 Life
Chips:
The King lives !!! Sounds like loads of fun , but personally if I were shooting bear I'd rather have a high powered rifle like a 7mm mag. Blasting the TVs still sounds like a blast, nopun intended.

Post #2   5/23/07 11:27:29PM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:
Haha, blasting TVs with a .44 mag seems like a decent form of anger management. I might have to try it.

DON: "Hey, Napoleon. What'd you do last summer again?"

NAPOLEON: "I told you, I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!"

DON: "Did you shoot any?"

NAPOLEON: "Yes, like fifty of 'em. They kept trying to attack my cousins! What the heck would you do in a situation like that?"

DON: "What kind of gun did you use?"

NAPOLEON: "A freakin' twelve gauge, whaddya think?"

Post #3   5/23/07 11:42:03PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by hcazlekker

Haha, blasting TVs with a .44 mag seems like a decent form of anger management. I might have to try it.

DON: "Hey, Napoleon. What'd you do last summer again?"

NAPOLEON: "I told you, I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!"

DON: "Did you shoot any?"

NAPOLEON: "Yes, like fifty of 'em. They kept trying to attack my cousins! What the heck would you do in a situation like that?"

DON: "What kind of gun did you use?"

NAPOLEON: "A freakin' twelve gauge, whaddya think?"

Classic..

...its weird that he brought this up,when just last night before i went to sleep i was daydreaming of what i would do if i were stuck in a cabin without weapons and a huge ass bear was waiting for me to get out cujo style.........well..what i did in my little daydream trip was that i poured gasoline all over the damn bear while it was sleeping and flicked a match on him...i was stoned,and half asleep but it worked for me

I think i had this dream because i had been up playing Oblivion for a long time,and i killed alot of bears using my 'Bow of Fire' with my 'Arrows of Flames' and watching them ignite into flames when i shoot them with my bow...Awesomeness!

Post #4   5/24/07 1:20:47AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hughesfan1

The King lives !!! Sounds like loads of fun , but personally if I were shooting bear I'd rather have a high powered rifle like a 7mm mag. Blasting the TVs still sounds like a blast, nopun intended.

That would work too, but the problem with most rifles is in that situation, you're going to have very little time to fire, so operating a bolt is too slow. A lever action works, and we'll have a 45-70 on hand, but you can double feed too easily with a lever action if you don't train with it. A pump works well because even if you screw up the stroke on one pump, you won't jam the gun.

Plus with a shotgun, you can alternate buckshot and slugs in the magazine. The slug will kill a bear, and if it doesn't drop in the first shot, your follow up is buckshot, and it'll tear its face apart and hopefully drive it off. If not, your follow up is another slug, and so on.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #5   5/24/07 2:04:16AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
don't kill bears they're cute

Post #6   5/24/07 2:05:21AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
They're cute on tv. Not so cute when they decide they want to see whats inside your vehicle and proceed to rip the doors off. Our land is on a mountainside, so they probably won't venture up that way, as they tend to stick to valleys and such, but one never knows. I'm picking up some bear spray too though, for the non-lethal alternative.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #7   5/24/07 2:50:29AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2

Post #8   5/24/07 3:30:42AM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by loller90278

I'd let those bears hug me, there so cute.

then I would probably die though..but whatever.

Post #9   5/24/07 3:35:49AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
It makes me everytime something as insignificant as a human kills something as powerful and majestic as a bear

There will come soft Rains

"There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
Ands swallows calling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in pools singing at night,
And wild-plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims over low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone"

Sara Teasdale (1844-1933)

Post #10   5/24/07 9:25:00AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
the more bears you kill the higher chance your children will have downs syndrome.

true fact.

Post #11   5/24/07 2:42:58PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

It makes me everytime something as insignificant as a human kills something as powerful and majestic as a bear

There will come soft Rains

"There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
Ands swallows calling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in pools singing at night,
And wild-plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims over low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone"

Sara Teasdale (1844-1933)

I don't think he's talking as much about hunting bear, as Svartorm is about defending yourself against one...

I'm not a hunter and I don't like to kill things, but if it were between me or mine getting mauled, or shooting a bear... I don't think I'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

Cool poem though

Post #12   5/24/07 3:09:15PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Im all for defence, preserving life is cool, and anyone would do the same, but when I think of the people who go out and look for these animals just so they can kill them, in such an undignified and unfair manner it makes me : /

Dont kill without good reason y'all

Post #13   5/24/07 4:12:45PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Im all for defence, preserving life is cool, and anyone would do the same, but when I think of the people who go out and look for these animals just so they can kill them, in such an undignified and unfair manner it makes me : /

Dont kill without good reason y'all

Out of curiousity, what do you think about people that go out and kill (hunt) for more than just trophies?

What I mean is, living in MN i have a lot of friends that hunt, and every year after deer season, I eat venison for the next couple of months... As far as I know, they use as much of the deer as possible (maybe not to the extent as the native americans did), and none of them are in it "for the blood" or to bring (un-needed) suffering upon the animal...

I agree with you though, I don't condone killing an animal just for the mount or whatever, but I understand where the other half comes from as well...

Post #14   5/24/07 5:16:55PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I'm moving out to Montana in a little under two weeks, and being as we're living in bear country, I wanted to get some practice with big bore weapons to make sure I could stop a bear with accurate fire with heavy weapons. Being short a bear or two for this, I managed to pick up three TV sets for the occasion.

It was pretty sweet hitting a TV with a .44 mag and 12ga (alternating slugs and shot). The .44 mag punched fist sized holes in the screens, and the buck shot basically disintegrated anything it hit. Only downside was getting hit by ricochette when bird shot hit the wooden frame on one of the tvs, as it came back and stung me pretty good.

Overall, an excellent day of blasting televisions with high-powered weapons, a-la Elvis Presley.

I may disagree with you on some points of gun control.
But there is no reason to save useless things from complete and utter total desctruction. Have you meet my 1980's Cavalier? No its dead and smashed int he woods (its a car kiddies).

Post #15   5/24/07 6:27:14PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3