Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson possible for UFC 149 in Calgary

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
With UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo likely off the card and headed to UFC 147 in Brazil, July's UFC 149 event in Calgary may still get a title fight.

At a press conference today in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White mentioned the possibility of light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and Dan Henderson (29-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) headlining UFC 149.

However, White said it'll depend on Jones' recovery following this past weekend's win over Rashad Evans.

"If we could make that fight happen (at UFC 149), that'd be great," White said.

UFC 149 takes place July 21 at Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Link

Post #1   4/24/12 12:13:27PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Most active champ ever? He just might be.

I like this. That cards needs a ton of help.

Post #2   4/24/12 12:35:22PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Most active champ ever? He just might be.

I just hope they don't burn him out. I'm not necessarily a fan of the guy, but it sure is fun to watch him fight, and if he's going to fight you would hope that he's at 100% and had a chance to heal and rest up after the last fight before jumping back into a camp full force. As long as he feels fine doing it and can stay healthy it's pretty damn nice having a guy on top fight this often.

Post #3   4/24/12 12:54:12PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,124-652
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
Being the youngest champ ever and 24 (I think), he does have the advantage that he should recover faster than the older guys. He will slow his fighting schedule down when he gets a little older.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hope they fight as soon as possible, as Hendo isn't getting any younger, and at 42, only has a few fights left. I dont see Dan sticking around past his prime. I think he will hang it up on a higher note once he cant keep up with the elite. His pride wont let him continue to lose to lesser and lesser competition. I dont see him going out like Liddell or continuing to fight well past his prime like Wanderlei.

As for the fight itself, I would love to see Hendo KO Jones. Nothing against the champ, but I'm a Hendo fan. I could see him retiring as the champ if he was to win.

Post #4   4/24/12 2:19:34PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't want to see Dab lose.

With that being said. I think its a bad matchup for him

Jones' length really is a very useful weapon to use against a guy like Dan.

Even on the ground Jones is big enough to possibly out muscle Dan enough to get back back to his feet. Not to mention the triangle dangers

Regrettably I feel like it would be a very close repeat of when he fought Anderson

Post #5   4/24/12 2:26:59PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:
What would be next after Hendo though? Gustafsson? After Gustafsson there is no one else. If I was the UFC brass I would make him move up to HW where he belongs. Jones is a very exceptional fighter for sure....but lets be honest here....the guy walks around near 240lbs. He is an ogre. Actually if it was up to me....I would get rid of weight cutting. Weigh these fighters every few days starting from one month before their fight....problem solved. I think weight cutting is one of the biggest problems in MMA. Jones should not be a LHW....and I think it is a travesty that he is allowed to fight in the division. On the same note I say Anderson Silva should be forced to move up to LHW. I hate weight cutting and I feel it takes away from the sport.

Post #6   4/24/12 10:08:31PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

What would be next after Hendo though? Gustafsson? After Gustafsson there is no one else. If I was the UFC brass I would make him move up to HW where he belongs. Jones is a very exceptional fighter for sure....but lets be honest here....the guy walks around near 240lbs. He is an ogre. Actually if it was up to me....I would get rid of weight cutting. Weigh these fighters every few days starting from one month before their fight....problem solved. I think weight cutting is one of the biggest problems in MMA. Jones should not be a LHW....and I think it is a travesty that he is allowed to fight in the division. On the same note I say Anderson Silva should be forced to move up to LHW. I hate weight cutting and I feel it takes away from the sport.

Rematches with both Shogun and Lyoto pose a LOT larger of a threat than people are giving assuming theyre not both mentally jacked after their losses to him.

I give Hendo a solid chance anyway.

Post #7   4/25/12 10:36:40AM