Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Failed Pre-UFC 146 Drug Test

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Alistair Overeem has broken his silence for the first time since the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced earlier this month that he failed a pre-UFC 146 drug test.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/23/2968534/alistair-overeem-explains-why-he-failed-pre-ufc-146-drug-test

Post #1   4/23/12 9:36:59AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,555-917
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Wish he would specify the anti-inflammatory which caused such high T levels.

I would think that sharing as much information as possible about the situation would help to prove the truth of his statement.

Also, it might be nice for other athletes to know that they ought to be wary of this mystery medication.

Last edited 4/23/12 10:00AM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   4/23/12 9:57:35AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
tired of fighters saying they had no clue whats in there supplements or medicine or w.e thats your job do it

Post #3   4/23/12 10:59:43AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Must be a pretty bad doctor not to discuss the benefits/side effects of steroidal vs non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs prior to prescribing them.

Post #4   4/23/12 11:13:00AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,280-1,402
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
What a terrible excuse. Thought he would have come up with better

Post #5   4/23/12 11:28:08AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Must be a pretty bad doctor not to discuss the benefits/side effects of steroidal vs non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs prior to prescribing them.

What kind of Doctor gives a know athlete a steroidal anti-inflammatory?

Post #6   4/23/12 11:29:18AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

This.....

It's known as informed consent. Every time a Doctor/Physician conducts a procedure or prescribes medication, they are supposed to go over the advantages and disadvantages of having it, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of not having it.

It's law here in the states, idk about anywhere else.

Post #7   4/23/12 11:29:33AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,400-1,329
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Smells fishy.

Post #8   4/23/12 11:43:44AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
For an old rib injury? hahaha. Im sure when they stuck that needle in his ass he didn't know what was in it either.

Post #9   4/23/12 11:45:36AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,975-1,623
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
LoL the man wasnt busted for Roids I think everyone needs to actually pay attention to the situation instead of bashing a fighter for something he hasnt done.

The R33M haters get funnier and funnier everytime a new topic is added about him

" I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone" NOT STEROIDS

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs interact with testosterone glucuronidation

Last edited 4/23/12 12:47PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/23/12 11:49:05AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
How many anti-inflammatory steroids are actually anabolic?
From what I've herd most actually hurt muscle growth rather than promote it.

Post #11   4/23/12 12:19:48PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I have heard these excuses before in every sport so i am not taking much out of this. i really wanna see how the appeal process goes as am a big reem fan so hopefully he clears this up

"Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body."

at least he man'ed up somewhat saying he should have known what he was putting into his body. just sux if this is the truth cause overeem should know better being a top flight athlete and know everything going into his body in this era of sports

but on a side note, how many ppl have gone to the docs and be prescribed something and knew to the tee what it was??? i guessing no one, ppl trust doctors enough that they don't questions them when told a way to fix their problem. it is logic though, why question the guy who is trying to fix and has been trained years to do so. but like grappler0000 & Pskinner_mma314 said why didn't the doc tell him this could give you high T

Post #12   4/23/12 12:44:37PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:846-413
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He should have taken an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) instead of corticosteroids... He may not know what was in it, but when you see the word "steroid" in your prescription - heads-up! lol

The doctor should have known all this. I mean I'm assuming he's not going to a walk-in clinic for something like this. But who knows - maybe they didn't know he was a pro-fighter or thought to ask - I mean who would have guessed just by looking at him, right?

Post #13   4/23/12 12:49:53PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by grappler0000

This.....

It's known as informed consent. Every time a Doctor/Physician conducts a procedure or prescribes medication, they are supposed to go over the advantages and disadvantages of having it, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of not having it.

I pretty much have never in my memory have had a doctor give me the run down of what a drug will do to myself or my son. When it comes to my kid I always ask myself on the other hand I usually just take whatever they give me.

I have been a corner in both Pro and Amature MMA fights I have fought in Kickboxing and done some sub grappling as well. I can not tell you how many fighters I have talked to that are on PED's. All of my information is on fighters in PA, Ohio and Wv so maybe its just in these states but I highly doubt it. They just all cycle them so they are clean before a fight. The timing of this test is the only reason he was caught. He is the only fighter who has to be sujected to these standards. The entire Hunt to stop PED's in sports is stupid.

Post #14   4/23/12 12:50:56PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by grappler0000

This.....

I pretty much have never in my memory have had a doctor give me the run down of what a drug will do to myself or my son. When it comes to my kid I always ask myself on the other hand I usually just take whatever they give me.

I have been a corner in both Pro and Amature MMA fights I have fought in Kickboxing and done some sub grappling as well. I can not tell you how many fighters I have talked to that are on PED's. All of my information is on fighters in PA, Ohio and Wv so maybe its just in these states but I highly doubt it. They just all cycle them so they are clean before a fight. The timing of this test is the only reason he was caught. He is the only fighter who has to be sujected to these standards. The entire Hunt to stop PED's in sports is stupid.

Its very true that most of the time Doc's won't go over the ins and outs of what they are giving, unless it's majorly serious.. And yes, most people trust them enough to just let them give it to them without questioning it. Working in the medical field, i see this all the time.
For example:

I give childrens vaccines on a daily basis, ya know for the major diseases (Polio, Mumps, Measles, Hepatitis A & B, Meningitis etc.) and one of the things we have to give parents is a pamphlet giving all the information about the vaccine their child is getting.....most of them don't even take it out of the exam room.

Overeem very well could have done the same thing most people do, but at the same time, he does have also what's known as Professional Responsibility. Basically Overeem, your in the spotlight as a world class fighter in the biggest organization, and you're big as FUCK....know what your taking, ask the Doc, by law, he has to tell you.

Post #15   4/23/12 1:06:55PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3