Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Post-fight scuffle mars Andreas Spang's Bellator 66 comeback, disciplinary action likely

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Andreas Spang's comeback win over hometown hero Brian Rogers was a thing of beauty.

And then things got real ugly.

For the better part of two rounds, Rogers (9-4 MMA, 2-2 BFC) had his way with the late replacement Spang (8-1 MMA, 1-0 BFC), who filled in for injured Bruno Santos in middleweight-tournament-semifinal action. The bout was part of the MTV2-televised main card of Bellator 66, which took place Friday at Cleveland's I-X Center.

Rogers scored early in the fight with kicks and punches before slipping on a head kick. Spang was able to seize the moment and get his back in the scramble and threaten with a rear-naked-choke submission. But then it was back to punishment mode after the escape, and Rogers resumed peppering Spang with heavy punches to the body and head.

It was more of the same in the second frame. Rogers countered with a big right cross early, caught Spang's kick, and continued his vicious assault. Spang was visibly hurt and wobbly at one point, and Rogers sprung forward throwing wild punches looking for the kill.

It cost him dearly.

Out of nowhere, Spang countered with a left hook that dropped Rogers like a sack of potatoes. One hammerfist later, referee Jerry Poe had seen enough. That was it. Spang had authored one of the best comebacks of the year in MMA and advanced to the middleweight-tournament finals.

"I had a couple rough times," Spang told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He hits pretty hard. I never felt really worried or in too much of danger. I know he had his way with me a couple times, but I was pretty focused on the win. I came here to win. I caught him with my moneymaker left hook."

Maiquel Falcao (30-4 MMA, 2-0 BFC), who defeated Vyacheslav Vasilevsky (16-2 MMA, 1-1 BFC) by unanimous decision earlier in the evening to secure his own spot in the finals, was brought into the cage to greet Spang for the first time after the fight.

Then all hell broke loose...

Full Story

Post #1   4/21/12 11:50:14AM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
-I WANTED Rogers to lose after the first round. Apparently he thought since he landed the flying knee in his last fight, he should now always win by flying knee. He went for three in a row while Sprang was dazed and missed the opportunity.

-Something tells me Sprang isn't very familiar with Falcao. I figured it was common knowledge to know not to put your hands on the guy.

Post #2   4/21/12 12:25:14PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At first watch, I thought Falcao was the instigator, and he should have been punished, and dropped from the fight. After watching the replay, Spang shoved him, just like he did Rogers at the weigh ins, when Falcao got in his face. Spang is just as much to blame. He needs to quit shoving people when they do a stare down. He's not gonna survive Falcao's bombs. Falcao actually held up from punching him.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   4/21/12 1:06:54PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Spang absolutely sucks!

Post #4   4/21/12 1:52:09PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
falco looked like shit lastnight but I have a feeling he will be on his game when this fight happens and he WILL try to hurt Spang. I kinda feel bad for this Spang.

Post #5   4/21/12 3:15:26PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
it seems like Andreas Spang's a TOOL

Post #6   4/21/12 4:05:21PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
Wasnt that bad

Post #7   4/21/12 11:17:13PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
I think it is just Spang's natural reaction when someone steps up in his face. He shoves them. It is basically a "get out of my face" deal. I don't blame him in some ways but in MMA you just can't do that. You gotta keep your composure.

Post #8   4/22/12 1:24:15AM