Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Traditional Martial Arts.. Do they have a place in MMA? By James Thompson

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,998-1,180
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you take a look back to the old UFC and how things were in the dark ages of MMA, one of the major things that stands out was that it wasn’t really MMA back then. Apart from a few guys along the lines of Ken Shamrock, there weren’t many fighters who were cross training different disciplines, it was all about style versus style.

James Thompson

Post #1   4/21/12 10:35:12AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Yes, traditional martial arts certainly have a place in MMA. The only reason why those arts are not as effective as they should be - is due to lack of practice and by that I mean - traditional martial arts have not been tested in real combat for the most part. Traditional martial arts practitioners compete in karate tournaments which is no where near an actual fight.

I believe all traditional martial arts can only add to MMA.

Post #2   4/21/12 2:56:30PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Yeah, and I can't stand when TMA's justify the purity of their styles by saying that MMA is merely a sport fight and wouldn't work in the real world, yet I am willing to be the vast majority of TMA practitioners have never used their truest techniques in real world scenarios. Or, they say that most of their techniques are aimed to maim or kill, yet none of them have actually practiced on any human, so they have no idea how they'd react when actually catapulted into a scenario where they'd need to use them. Or, the maiming techniques are "finger jab to the eye" or a "chop to the throat." Well no shit Sherlock, of course those techniques are going to do damage, but it doesn't take a black belt to poke someone in the eye or do serious damage to an opponent's throat.

TMA obviously has effective techniques, but it's naive to say that any one style is the be all end all, because every style doesn't compensate for all variables like MMA does, sport fighting or not.

Post #3   4/22/12 2:52:27PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Yeah, and I can't stand when TMA's justify the purity of their styles by saying that MMA is merely a sport fight and wouldn't work in the real world, yet I am willing to be the vast majority of TMA practitioners have never used their truest techniques in real world scenarios. Or, they say that most of their techniques are aimed to maim or kill, yet none of them have actually practiced on any human, so they have no idea how they'd react when actually catapulted into a scenario where they'd need to use them. Or, the maiming techniques are "finger jab to the eye" or a "chop to the throat." Well no shit Sherlock, of course those techniques are going to do damage, but it doesn't take a black belt to poke someone in the eye or do serious damage to an opponent's throat.

TMA obviously has effective techniques, but it's naive to say that any one style is the be all end all, because every style doesn't compensate for all variables like MMA does, sport fighting or not.

Part of the reason why Judo and BJJ was so effective was because it eliminated a lot of the "kata's found in tma's. Though deadly the problem with Kata's was that they couldn't be practiced on another person.

Post #4   4/23/12 12:31:29PM