Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate Marquardt expects vacant welterweight title to be on the line in Strikeforce debut fight against Tyron Woodley

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,788-1,528
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
The past 12 months have been a roller coaster for Nate Marquardt.

In March of 2011, "The Great" had just won a unanimous decision victory over Dan Miller at UFC 128. It appeared as though he was getting his career back on track, and he was re-energized by a move down to Welterweight, where he was set to fight Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4 in the main event of the evening. Everything was coming together nicely.

And then it happened.

The day before the Story fight, Marquardt was pulled from the match because of elevated testosterone levels. The withdrawal sent the entire card into disarray and caused Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White to immediately fire Marquardt and declare he'd never fight in the UFC again.

Fast forward one year later.

In the interim, Marquardt signed with the BAMMA, but never actually stepped foot in the cage for the British-based promotion. After being granted his release from the promotion earlier this year, there was speculation of Marquardt signing with Bellator, as well as a few other smaller promotions, before it was finally made official that he'd be signing with Zuffa-owned Strikeforce.

In February, it was announced that Marquardt's first fight for Strikeforce would be opposite welterweight contender Tyron Woodley. According to a recent interview Marquardt had with "Inside MMA," the fight will be for the vacant 170-pound belt:

Link

Post #1   4/17/12 12:21:13AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Why not? I don't see any other fight worth the Title

Post #2   4/17/12 1:23:27AM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,003-545
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I hope he murders Woodley, another blanket-wrestler who is painful to watch

Post #3   4/17/12 3:14:55AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by rush13

I hope he murders Woodley, another blanket-wrestler who is painful to watch

I don't know what's worse, Woodley's style or his loud mouth Momma and Wife screaming for him during his fights.

Post #4   4/17/12 8:59:42AM