Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The current state of the UFC LHW division

Print  
Posted By Message

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
This is how I have my rankings for the top 10.

1. Jon "Bones" Jones
2. Dan Henderson
3. "Suga" Rashad Evans
4. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
5. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
6. Lyoto "Dragon" Machida
7. Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis
8. Alexander Gustaffson
9. Ryan "Darth" Bader
10. Forrest Griffin

Now we have Bones vs. Shad this weekend, but even that aside, already Bones has manhandled 4 of the top 10.....realistically for awhile, the only opponent he's got left is Hendo.

I don't know if the fight is still booked, but as I understand it, Rampage is still booked to fight Shogun so these to can be excluded from matchups for a bit. It's still up in the air that Rampage sticks around, but IMO Rampage peaked and lost his passion for fighting after he finally KO'd Wanderlei.

Machida's flying "I'ma kick your toofs out Randy" crane kick is probably the only thing keeping him on the roster at the moment, even though he got robbed in the Rampage fight and has fought nothing but the best. He had a somewhat impressive perfomance against Bones in the short fight it was. He staggered Jones, can't recall anyone doing that as of yet. But as he is down 3 out of his last 4 fights, I think he needs a tuner.....maybe the Griffin fight I've been screaming for for awhile.

Gustaffson vs. Bader, or Griffin. He is a up and coming (I think will be a star) young fighter and he's already hovering in the lower ranks of the top 10 at LHW. He just beat Thiago, and it's time for him to start taking bigger names. He keeps winning, I see a Shogun or a Rampage(if he sticks around) in his future. With Jones mauling most of the top 10 already, I don't think it would be a long road to a title shot for Gus.

As for Mr. Wonderful. His fight with Shad showed all the glaring holes in his game. He needs to improve drastically to stay in the top 10, as I was just being very generous with the ranking I gave, IDK what the rest of the world thinks. I say put him up against someone hovering in the ranks of 11-15 and see if he's improved, say Thiago Silva.

As for my boy Forrest, I love ya bro, but you're on the way out. He's flexible if he doesn't retire after Tito. Maybe Phil, Machida, or Thiago......other than that i beleive he's done as well.

This is just my thoughts.....i would appreciate any and all feedback as well as criticism. Watcha think Playground.

Post #1   4/16/12 1:32:55PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Rampage 5th??? I don't even know if I would put him top 10. After that Bader fight he just looked pathetic.

Post #2   4/16/12 3:38:54PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Good list but I'd switch rashad and Henderson.

Post #3   4/16/12 3:40:55PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
1. Jon Jones
2. Rashad Evans
3. Dan Henderson
4. Mauricio Rua
5. Lyoto Machida
6. Ryan Bader
7. Quinton Jackson
8. Phil Davis
9. Antonio Rogerio Nogueria
10.Alexander Gustaffsson

thats how I got the LHW division after the fights that just past on the weekend

Last edited 4/16/12 4:13PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/16/12 4:10:17PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think the division feels weak right now.

Post #5   4/16/12 4:18:57PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

Rampage 5th??? I don't even know if I would put him top 10. After that Bader fight he just looked pathetic.

Trust me understand where you're coming from...but even though Bader did beat Rampage, I still can't bring myself to get over that Tito beat him. Losing to a guy who hasn't won in 5 years, sorry I don't care how good he used to be and who he's fought, but Bader got embarrased by a guy who just won't let it go, that is why I rank Rampage over Bader, honestly I think if they fought again, Page would win...but that is all speculation and really has no bearing on the particular conversation.

Anyways, my real question isn't about the rankings, why question is about the proposed matches, thats what I'm asking

Last edited 4/16/12 4:51PM server time by Pskinner_mma314
Edit note/reason: Added the real question

Post #6   4/16/12 4:50:03PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by TeamDEY

Trust me understand where you're coming from...but even though Bader did beat Rampage, I still can't bring myself to get over that Tito beat him. Losing to a guy who hasn't won in 5 years, sorry I don't care how good he used to be and who he's fought, but Bader got embarrased by a guy who just won't let it go, that is why I rank Rampage over Bader, honestly I think if they fought again, Page would win...but that is all speculation and really has no bearing on the particular conversation.

Anyways, my real question isn't about the rankings, why question is about the proposed matches, thats what I'm asking

true that

Post #7   4/16/12 5:44:28PM   

dotaaddict

Learning to Sprawl

dotaaddict Avatar

Career:611-478
Camp: MMA Tycoon
Chips:
then you should also feel bad to put in the 5th spot a guy that was beaten by bader that was beaten by tito ortiz that does'nt have a win in 5 years during that fight~!!!

Post #8   4/16/12 7:14:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If SF folded into UFC, that would give some depth to LHW, but also to MW.

Post #9   4/16/12 9:23:51PM   

MarkBlanchard

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
As far as contenders go, the LHW division is a little sparse. If Jones makes short work of Evans tonight, the only guy I see challenging Jones at some point might be Gustafsson, but he's still rough around the edges.

Jones has already run through several fighters... Bonnar, Vera, Matyushenko, Bader, Rua, Machida... and don't see anyone else in the division posing a bigger threat than the guys in that group.

Maybe we see a few of the bigger middleweights move north to challenge Jones, or Jones eventually jumping to the heavyweight division.

Mark
http://www.facebook.com/RealGuns

Post #10   4/21/12 6:23:09PM