Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC on FUEL TV 2's Brian Stann says military past now staying private

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Brian Stann has trotted out his Marine past for the benefit of his past two MMA employers on many occasions, including his upcoming fight with middleweight Alessio Sakara at Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 2 event.

He's done it to the point where some fans have wondered if it's his only selling point.

Stann, of course, has always said he's trying to help the gears of promotion, not trying to exploit honor.

But a recent appearance FUEL TV's "UFC Ultimate Insider," which hyped his upcoming fight with Alessio Sakara at UFC on FUEL TV 2, proved too invasive even for him. Now, he's drawing boundaries as to what can and cannot be discussed.

"I don't have to go through those memories of my life with other people," Stann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Those are my private memories. I did it once. It's out there. I hope that it was for the better of the sport. I hope it was for the better of the men and women who served, and let it be that."

Full Story

Post #1   4/12/12 12:59:01AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
i always thought the same thing. i think people were trying to exploit his military experience for quite some time now. its good to see he's sticking up for himself and drawing a line. he had my respect as well as most everybody elses a long time ago. its time to let him focus on being a fighter, and let the fans focus on him whooping some ass. WAR STANN

Post #2   4/12/12 2:10:45AM   

Mackavelli

MMA Regular

Mackavelli Avatar

Career:1,439-744
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I wouldnt call it exploitation. They are all selling themselves to the public. Whether its the fact that they won an NCAA wrestling title, that they are Kickboxing champion, Undefeated, having been addicted to drugs, or even having having served in special forces. It's what they have accomplished, and makes them an individual. I have no problem with them using it to sell fights. Stann never bragged about it, but even so, he got called out.

Post #3   4/12/12 6:36:19AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,658-951
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
good job Stann!

Post #4   4/12/12 12:50:20PM   

pateneterson

Learning to Sprawl

Career:132-133
Camp: brothers fight camp
Chips:
Stann is a war Hero i dont think it is legal for him to say everything he has done and of course he will shout out to the fallen marines and to his soldiers that risked their lives for everyone in the USA

Post #5   4/12/12 4:50:23PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:817-397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's just his Public Relations angle. But given that it's so hyped, he's probably just sick of talking about it constantly - can't blame him for that.

Heroic or tragic pasts both seem to work well in terms of building fans using a good backstory in this sport.

Post #6   4/12/12 6:29:33PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good on Stann. The last ting we need is another Tim Kennedy.

Post #7   4/14/12 8:12:16AM