Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Numbers Never Lie: UFC 145 Jones vs. Evans

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jones comes from a strong Greco-Roman wrestling background and his skills have translated very well to MMA. His takedown accuracy of 63.6% is the very best in light heavyweight history. He’s already scored 21 takedowns, 4th most in division history, and his 3.32 takedowns per 15 minutes average is the 4th highest in division. Aside from winning takedown battles, Jones shows great control on the ground, spending only 12 seconds in the UFC on his back.

100% Takedown Defense

Jones has never been taken down, an impressive feat considering he’s fought high level wrestlers like Quinton Jackson, Ryan Bader, and Jake O’Brien. In the case of O’Brien, who holds the UFC record with 6.44 takedowns landed per 15 minutes, Jones defended all four attempts by O’Brien. Jones’ takedown defense should be one of his biggest weapons when he faces the takedown-hungry Rashad Evans.

Outlands Opponents by 2.4 Strikes per Minute

Jones is known for the unorthodox striking techniques that he displays in the Octagon, but what may surprise most is that he’s actually quite efficient in this area. Jones’ strike differential is 2.40, the fourth best total in UFC history. This means that Jones lands 2.4 more strikes every minute than he absorbs...

Full Story

Post #1   4/11/12 11:12:41AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Numbers never lie...but their relevance is always questionable, especially in sports even though people always hope to unlock a deeper meaning from them. If I was to find a true meaning to numbers it would be that Jones has finished all of his title fights, and he has done so against opponents that had only been finished a handful of times combined, now THAT is a feat.

Post #2   4/11/12 11:28:47AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Rampage really? O Brian? REALLY?

Post #3   4/11/12 12:08:11PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

Rampage might not be the high level wrestler they make him out to be in the article, but he sure as hell is a high level fighter. O'Brien's TD numbers speak for themselves whether you think he was a great fighter or not. The guy has more TD's per 15 minutes than anyone in UFC history and Jones stymied him, the numbers on O'Brien don't lie. I'm not sure I get your gripe.

Post #4   4/11/12 12:37:57PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
Impressive numbers, but you gotta remember that not too long ago we were amazed by Machida's numbers too.

Not to mention Cain's, Chuck's, Fedor's and many others.

Seems like the moment we start getting a trend it all goes up in the air.

Post #5   4/11/12 1:19:54PM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:989-539
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by TeamDEY

Rampage might not be the high level wrestler they make him out to be in the article, but he sure as hell is a high level fighter. O'Brien's TD numbers speak for themselves whether you think he was a great fighter or not. The guy has more TD's per 15 minutes than anyone in UFC history and Jones stymied him, the numbers on O'Brien don't lie. I'm not sure I get your gripe.

He's a Rashad fan, and I'm guessing he's getting tired of hearing all the praise Jones gets(again just my guess knowing he's a Rashad fan).

Post #6   4/11/12 1:22:13PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Didn't Obrien take Herring down like 9000 times in that fight?

Numbers always lie!

Post #7   4/11/12 2:14:45PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Numbers never lie? Perhaps

The show absolutely sucks? Yes

Post #8   4/11/12 8:09:40PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
bottom line i think is jones is an unnaturally long fighter, with a strange style that cant really be mimicked in any training camp as well as having great coaching and pure athleic ability. that said, its only a matter of time before someone figures him out and he loses. we dont know when that will be, it could be ten friggen years from now but someone will get him. i personally hope hendo lands the "H" bomb and takes his title because hendo is a badass

Post #9   4/12/12 1:46:05AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

bottom line i think is jones is an unnaturally long fighter, with a strange style that cant really be mimicked in any training camp as well as having great coaching and pure athleic ability. that said, its only a matter of time before someone figures him out and he loses. we dont know when that will be, it could be ten friggen years from now but someone will get him. i personally hope hendo lands the "H" bomb and takes his title because hendo is a badass

I think after watching his fight with Machida, I certainly saw, in the first round at least, a Jones that looked very confused. Machida seemed to show more progress at solving the riddle that is Jon Jones. Of course that could just be the Machida effect, as he seems to confuse all his opponents to some degree, so it could mean nothing at all. I think that this fight with Rashad could be very interesting because, in theory, given that they were once training partners, Rashad knows more about Jones' weaknesses than anybody else, so maybe we will get to see at least a small part of the puzzle solved. Of course, the same can be said of Jones about Rashad, so maybe we'll see Jones continue dominating as he has been. Personally, I just want some kind of indicator that shows that Jones isn't some kind of super human created by S.H.I.E.L.D. and it's Super Soldier program that has no weaknesses.

Post #10   4/12/12 6:54:40AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Lethal

Impressive numbers, but you gotta remember that not too long ago we were amazed by Machida's numbers too.

I agree completely here. I'm a huge fan of what Jones has accomplished but in the LHW division alone their has been so many wild twist and turns it really wouldn't surprise if by this time next year where all gloating over some one else who just today is a relative unknown.

Post #11   4/12/12 2:03:03PM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:989-539
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Lethal

I agree completely here. I'm a huge fan of what Jones has accomplished but in the LHW division alone their has been so many wild twist and turns it really wouldn't surprise if by this time next year where all gloating over some one else who just today is a relative unknown.

Jones wasn't an unknown only a year before he destroyed Shogun to take the title...and most of those guys Lethal mentioned were getting old and in the twilight of their careers, where as Jones is still peaking and getting better and better each fight...that's friggin scary!

Post #12   4/13/12 2:20:58AM