Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michael Schiavello: 'Everyone is crucifying Alistair Overeem, but he hasn't technically cheated'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
By now, everyone in the mixed martial arts (MMA) community is aware of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Alistair Overeem testing positive for high levels of testosterone during a random drug test by the NSAC, directly following a press conference for UFC 146.

But is Overeem being unfairly targeted?

That's the question "The Voice," Michael Schiavello, wants answered and is the question he was asking his colleagues on the panel of HDNet's "Inside MMA."

"You know, while we're talking about the subject, Kenny, I just wanna chime in here on a couple things that have been playing on my mind, the last week or so, since the news of Alistair (Overeem) broke. Alistair doesn't have a license with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), so how are they testing him in the first place when he doesn't have a license with them? By what jurisdiction are they testing him? And 'B,' everyone seems to be hanging Alistair out to dry. They've been nailing him to the cross and crucifying him, but it's still two months away from his fight. You know, he hasn't technically cheated. Because, unless he pisses hot on the fight night, how could he possibly have cheated? There's still an opportunity he can get from the 14:1 down to the allowed 6:1 level by fight time. But we're calling him out as a cheat, two months out from a fight?"

Link

Post #1   4/10/12 11:37:12AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
No, Mir. Schiavello. No.

Post #2   4/10/12 11:57:21AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
i agree with this. it seems like its acectable for some fighters to fail but others are worse off, keith keiser has a hard on for some guys in my opinion.

Post #3   4/10/12 12:04:22PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Goodnight IRENE! I mean Overeem!

Post #4   4/10/12 12:35:39PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Goodnight IRENE! I mean Overeem!

Just like Chael Sonnen... Overeem is Innocent.

Post #5   4/10/12 1:44:48PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I'd just like to point out that Michael Schiavello blindsided Overeem with a blind taste-test on his show, having him distinguish between beef and horse meat. So, he's been trying to crucify him right along with everyone else.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #6   4/10/12 1:48:15PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think he did touch on an important aspect of the situation; the juris-my-diction of the NSAC. State athletic regulatory agencies must have incredibly broad and sweeping power, if they can force someone who hasn't been licensed yet to provide them with a sample. For any smokers here, that would seem comparable to any job site requiring you to take a drug test months in advance for a position you have not yet applied for (obviously jobs/regulatory committees are different but it is a loose analogy to prove a point). How can they require a sample if he isn't yet licensed? If anything, it should be when he applies for the license, and further, it should be stated plane and clear what his levels have to be fight night, and what they can be outside of a fight. He can drink testosterone smoothies all day every day, as long as he is clear within a reasonable time period (arbitrarily deciding a week). Randomized testing may in fact be a witch hunt, if the fighter is a long time period from fighting. The difference between this and other sports is that randomized testing for other sports would be strictly during season, as nobody really cares what you do outside of season.

Post #7   4/10/12 2:20:17PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
when Overeem had his conditional license to fight Brock the stipulations were that he would be tested fight night and twice randomly for 6 months after the fight. now, this is test one of the 2. they can't do anything suspension or fine wise because his conditional license is expired. this should not hold any weight in his licensing with the JDS fight as not only is he not currently licensed but him testing dirty 3 months AFTER a fight and 2 months BEFORE his next fight is scheduled has no effect on either fight. if it was a month or so out then it would make a difference in competition. if he is completely clean from now till then this testosterone won't have any effect on his body at that point. thus he should be ok to fight JDS in may. then again this is all in a perfect world.

Last edited 4/10/12 2:41PM server time by papercut
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/10/12 2:39:46PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
If he doesn't have a NSAC license, this positive test sure isn't going to help him in that quest.

Post #9   4/10/12 2:42:39PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:
Yes, circumstances around the conditional licensing were extremely fishy, and thus the random tests were introduced.

He won't be licensed because he failed the midterm random test. Game over.

There's no point in just testing the day of the fight because if there's cheating there then the only recourse if overturning dirty decisions.

He knew he was going to be randomly tested as part of getting licensed in the near future, he knew when the first opportunity for that random test would be (the press conference) and he still failed.

Fire him.

Post #10   4/10/12 3:27:18PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
its gonna be interesting to watch this play out. i think there are just to much info that we dont know yet to make any kind of judgement. if he does prove to be a cheater, than he deserves everything he gets, if not, theres gonna be alot of people out there that have jumped the gun on overeems crucifixion.

Post #11   4/10/12 6:36:47PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

its gonna be interesting to watch this play out. i think there are just to much info that we dont know yet to make any kind of judgement. if he does prove to be a cheater, than he deserves everything he gets, if not, theres gonna be alot of people out there that have jumped the gun on overeems crucifixion.

There are a ton of things we don't know. I mean to the best of my knowledge, based on what I've read so far into the situation, he never actually tested positive for any banned substances, i.e. steroids. It is a little unfair as well, that, based on my recollection, whenever Marquardt's testosterone was high going into his WW debut, he was given X amount of time to get it down, or he wouldn't be allowed to fight i understand that it was a different athletic commission, but considering he never tested positive for anything other than high testosterone, isn't it only fair that he at least be given a similar opportunity?

Post #12   4/10/12 7:29:51PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Nice to hear what Michael S. had to say.
There is no proof really what he even tested for at the moment, and also why are they testing Alistair when he doesnt even have a license?
Also people need to relax on the subject here.
Even for the people in the past who have cheated, do people forget who they are?
Seems to me like people are ready to bash fighters, then love them the next year.

I personally am A HUGE fan of Overeem, and will not knock him until there is some hard facts.
If it is true, I will be upset, and lose a bit of respect for him. (Not like it would be a shock if he is on something) but lets not forget all the others who have done similar or worse. I think people need a good hard look in the mirror before pointing fingers. To many hypocrits out there!
And to hell, what Kenny Rice thinks!!!

Post #13   4/10/12 8:00:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

There are a ton of things we don't know. I mean to the best of my knowledge, based on what I've read so far into the situation, he never actually tested positive for any banned substances, i.e. steroids. It is a little unfair as well, that, based on my recollection, whenever Marquardt's testosterone was high going into his WW debut, he was given X amount of time to get it down, or he wouldn't be allowed to fight i understand that it was a different athletic commission, but considering he never tested positive for anything other than high testosterone, isn't it only fair that he at least be given a similar opportunity?

that is exactly what I've been saying the last little while...but you worded it much better

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   4/10/12 11:52:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm guessing his defense will be TRT. Since he had yet to apply for his license at the time of the test, he will argue that he planned to apply for an exemption when he applied for his license.

Post #15   4/11/12 1:27:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2