Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Former Tachi Palace champ Ulysses Gomez committed to flyweight, seeking UFC bid

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Flyweight Ulysses Gomez (9-2) is certain of two things in his career: He wants to be in the UFC, and he's not a bantamweight, no matter how much it might hurt to admit.

The UFC aspirations he's known for sometime, the return to 125 pounds is a more recent decision.

"As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not big enough for 135," Gomez recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I learned that in my last fight when I fought Cody Gibson. He was a little bit taller at the weigh-in. Then when he walked in the cage, I was like, 'Man, this guy rehydrated pretty good.'"

Fortunately for Gomez, who recently vacated the Tachi Palace Fights bantamweight belt in order to make a permanent return to 125 pounds, the UFC recently added a flyweight division. It was bittersweet for Gomez, who saw fellow TPF champ Ian McCall earn entry into the promotion's four-man 125-pound tourney.

It's the final fight on Gomez's Tachi Palace Fights contract, and he's hoping the bout can serve as an informal UFC tryout. The UFC dream is front and center, and Gomez believes now is his time to make a run to the bright lights.

"The UFC has been in the corner of my head for how many years?" Gomez asked. "I've been pumped up since like 2010, when the WEC was supposed to have the 125-pound division. I've been pumped up for a while.

"I'm supposed to fight May 10 – Tachi Palace one more time. This is my last one on my contract, and hopefully bigger and better things after that."

LINK

Post #1   4/9/12 7:09:51PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:
If he wins his next fight, I don't see how the UFC doesn't bring him in.

Post #2   4/9/12 7:11:45PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

If he wins his next fight, I don't see how the UFC doesn't bring him in.

Yeah, I agree. The flyweight division is in its infancy for the UFC, and while I'm sure they've snatched up quite a bit of talent for the new weight class, they are still most definitely looking for guys who have already established themselves as top flyweights and can just come in and immediately start making a great run at the belt as soon as that whole situation is resolved. Gomez could very well be one of those guys. I'm real interested in seeing how the division develops as the UFC continues to move forward with the little 125ers.

Post #3   4/9/12 7:33:11PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:
There are still a few Flyweights I want to see in the UFC from Tachi Palace. He's one of them.

Post #4   4/9/12 10:48:59PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
This would be a great addition, the UFC would do well to add him and others that are already established to the guys who are currently dropping down......you know like Kenny Florian!

Post #5   4/10/12 12:44:41AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,385-1,434
Chips:
there's plenty of flyweights out there that would do wonders for the ufc right now..i def wanna see Mamoru Yamaguchi, Formiga da Silva, BJ Kojima in the states...

Post #6   4/10/12 1:37:56PM