Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem NSAC hearing set for April 24, UFC 146 main event decision comes after

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Earlier today, it was reported that UFC President Dana White has already decided to keep the Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez fight intact as a main card showcase at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

That seemed like an interesting decision considering the circumstances.

Those circumstances include Alistair Overeem having failed a surprise drug test at a press conference and throwing his main event match-up against Junior dos Santos into doubt. The situation is murky in the sense that Overeem can't be suspended because he hasn't actually been licensed for the heavyweight title fight over the Memorial Day weekend.

Link

Post #1   4/8/12 9:07:53AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 35-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,449-941
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The suspense is killing me

Post #2   4/8/12 9:15:55AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I feel somewhat vindicated. Before I knew the rules on fighter bashing, I made a comment about Overeem and enhancement, but stated it as fact not opinion and got a one week ban. That ban still stands out everytime i log in, because the warning was never removed from my profile and the bright red letters always lead me to think its brand new. I used to be seriously opposed to cheating with enhancers because many sports stars are role models to me, even though athlete' s are not as good of role models as some other public figures. It is hard to like something and than find out it was fake, but it seems that making a good living is always more important to sports than the fans admiration. The salary of a fighter depends on winning at all costs, unfortunately performance is overlooked for victory. The UFC is not a national high school or college championship, where the players want to be the best for a goal, pride and glory, pro sports are for money, and maybe if they got paid more, and got to stick around after losing in a great performance, the glory would come back.

Post #3   4/8/12 11:52:05AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
does testosterone improve performance, or just replace chemicals that roids stripped away? Some say the latter, but on the radio the testosterone - gel, and others replacement therapy claims to improve muscles, raise activity sex drive motivation

This is too bad atleast Mir didn't test positive, I think he wants to be the best he can be for fans, but who knows, maybe everyone is on them and possibly the brass could be supporting this by providing doctors and direction to fighters?

Post #4   4/8/12 11:59:01AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,294-863
Chips:
Testosterone is a steroid.

Post #5   4/8/12 12:38:42PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I wouldn't add "the fans" into it. He does it for himself and the money/fame that comes with it. He knew a test was coming and didn't or couldn't stop himself. He made the commission mad and it doesn't take a genius to know they are coming for you.

Post #6   4/8/12 2:24:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I can't wait that long.

Post #7   4/8/12 9:40:27PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

I wouldn't add "the fans" into it. He does it for himself and the money/fame that comes with it. He knew a test was coming and didn't or couldn't stop himself. He made the commission mad and it doesn't take a genius to know they are coming for you.

I see you don't understand the word surprise. In this context it means he did not know the test was coming.

Post #8   4/8/12 11:29:13PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I can't wait that long.

Me either. I would also think JDS would be opponent can't wait that long either. If Reem doesn't get cleared, the replacement fighter is going to have a very short time to train for JDS

Post #9   4/9/12 9:37:53AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I can't wait that long.

Me either. I would also think JDS would be opponent can't wait that long either. If Reem doesn't get cleared, the replacement fighter is going to have a very short time to train for JDS

My guess is that the UFC has already reached out to a fighter or three and let them know to be ready just in case. At least I hope that's what they did.

Post #10   4/9/12 12:03:16PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by airkerma

I can't wait that long.

My guess is that the UFC has already reached out to a fighter or three and let them know to be ready just in case. At least I hope that's what they did.

The longer they wait, the more concerned I am that this PPV won't be worth the money if they slap something together.

Post #11   4/9/12 5:51:29PM