Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Will Free Agency Take Both Eddie Alvarez and Hector Lombard from Bellator?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Bellator does such an excellent job of bringing in young exciting prospects that they'd be fine without either. Bellator doesn't have anywhere close to the percentage of casual fans the UFC does, so personally I think they can afford to let Alvarez and Lombard both walk and not skip a beat if it was the best business move financially. They'll create their own stars, they already have. I don't watch Bellator just because they have Eddie Alvarez and Hector Lombard.

I found it interesting in the article that after the exclusive negotiating period, they have the right to match any offer, so technically you're never an unrestricted free agent when your Bellator contract is up. Even if say Alvarez signed with the UFC, unless the UFC put some `poison pill` wording in the contract, Bellator could just match.

Post #16   4/8/12 7:51:06AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by tcunningham

i think the ufc could use both, but with the LW div completely stacked alvarez could be passed up.

so then why is this season of TUF about LWs? they just completed a LW season not that long ago (TUF 12)

Tuf isn't about finding new up and coming fighters plain and simple its about atrracting causal fans to the sport via a reality show. Who was the last fighter to come from that show to make any kind os a significant impact? I really can't answer that as I quit watching that show after the HW season with Nelson and Kimbo I would have to think it was the crop that came from that show with Nelson and Schaub. that was at HW which isn't all that stacked in the first place. Point being for a long time now the best fighters outside of the UFC have found better ways to get to the UFC then TUF

Post #17   4/8/12 10:53:21AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by tcunningham

i think the ufc could use both, but with the LW div completely stacked alvarez could be passed up.

so then why is this season of TUF about LWs? they just completed a LW season not that long ago (TUF 12)

Tuf isn't about finding new up and coming fighters plain and simple its about atrracting causal fans to the sport via a reality show. Who was the last fighter to come from that show to make any kind os a significant impact? I really can't answer that as I quit watching that show after the HW season with Nelson and Kimbo I would have to think it was the crop that came from that show with Nelson and Schaub. that was at HW which isn't all that stacked in the first place. Point being for a long time now the best fighters outside of the UFC have found better ways to get to the UFC then TUF

I don't think its attracting many more casual fans. If they haven't started watching the seasons, let alone the sport, by now they never will. How many more viewers do you think Survivor or American Idol bring in each season? A tiny percentage if any. IMO TUF is the same way. It's had 15 seasons spanning 7 years...it isn't going to bring in new viewers and I think its virtually done what you think its purpose is.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   4/8/12 3:28:42PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by postman

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by tcunningham

I don't think its attracting many more casual fans. If they haven't started watching the seasons, let alone the sport, by now they never will. How many more viewers do you think Survivor or American Idol bring in each season? A tiny percentage if any. IMO TUF is the same way. It's had 15 seasons spanning 7 years...it isn't going to bring in new viewers and I think its virtually done what you think its purpose is.

True its purpose is to make money. thats about it.

Post #19   4/8/12 10:04:53PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
I really doubt we will see Alvarez in the UFC he's really over paid and likes to be the main event and I dont think he'd ever make a main event in the UFC. Lombart on the other hand I think will make the move at some point.

Last edited 4/9/12 1:26PM server time by Deck15
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   4/9/12 1:24:36PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2