Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir Issues Statement Regarding Overeem's Failed Test

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Heavyweight contender Frank Mir comments on reports of Alistair Overeem’s failed drug test

Las Vegas, Nev. - With the news today that Alistair Overeem failed his “A” sample pre-fight drug test for UFC 146, heavyweight contender Frank Mir has commented on the rumors swirling regarding the UFC’s next steps regarding UFC 146.

“I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true.”

“I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream,” Mir added.

Mir’s next fight is scheduled for May 26 at UFC 146 against former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Mir is 16-5 in his MMA career, with 14 of those wins coming in the UFC. Known for his ability to submit his opponents, power and athletic ability, Mir has only had three fights decided by a decision, all of which he won.

He has won four of his last five fights and seven of his last nine. In his last fight on December 10, he submitted Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the first round.

The 32 year-old Las Vegas native trains in his hometown at Xtreme Couture. He began training in martial arts under his father, Frank, Sr.. who was a police officer and Kenpo Karate master. He currently holds black belts in both Kenpo Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

While attending Bonanza High School in Las Vegas, Mir won a state wrestling title as a senior, starred in football and still holds regional track and field records in discus.

Fans can follow Mir through his web site at www.FrankMir.com or through his Twitter handle @TheFrankMir.

Josh Gross tweeted about this press release. I received the same one, so here it is.

Last edited 4/4/12 7:42PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/4/12 7:42:10PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,243-1,382
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
So dissapointed with this situation, really puts a downer on the heavyweight division imo.

Post #2   4/4/12 7:45:17PM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,003-545
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Big-time shitty situation now...

Murr didn't win, Big Nog lost the fight...Murr would get destroyed by Dos Santos and Hunt lacks star-power and isn't a big of enough draw for a casual fan.

Plus Cain needs a fight before a rematch.

WOW, this sucks!!!

Post #3   4/4/12 9:03:24PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by rush13

Big-time shitty situation now...

Murr didn't win, Big Nog lost the fight...Murr would get destroyed by Dos Santos and Hunt lacks star-power and isn't a big of enough draw for a casual fan.

Plus Cain needs a fight before a rematch.

WOW, this sucks!!!

Because he wasn't the first person to submit Antonio Nogueira or anything. Not to mention, he did it in Nogueira fashion, weathering the storm and coming back to submit him.

Post #4   4/4/12 9:52:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by rush13

Murr didn't win, Big Nog lost the fight...

You're going to have to explain that statement man.

I assume that you're referring to the fact that Nog didn't try to pound him out.

Guess what.

Fighters make a million decisions in a fight. Any one of those decisions can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Mir capitalized on an opening. He showed heart, determination, and skill. He is the only man to ever submit Big Nog and he did one better... he jacked up his arm.

No one is going to be happy about Overeem vs Dos Santos being cancelled (if it is.) But lets make the best of a bad situation.

Mir is one of the best fighters in the division. He's always exciting. And he poses some interesting stylistic challenges for Dos Santos.

Instead of hating on Mir (who, once again, is just trying to capitalize on an opportunity) you should direct the hate towards Overeem. It's his fault that the fans are in this situation.

Post #5   4/4/12 10:20:37PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by rush13

I assume that you're referring to the fact that Nog didn't try to pound him out.

Guess what.

Fighters make a million decisions in a fight. Any one of those decisions can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Mir capitalized on an opening. He showed heart, determination, and skill. He is the only man to ever submit Big Nog and he did one better... he jacked up his arm.

No one is going to be happy about Overeem vs Dos Santos being cancelled (if it is.) But lets make the best of a bad situation.

Mir is one of the best fighters in the division. He's always exciting. And he poses some interesting stylistic challenges for Dos Santos.

Instead of hating on Mir (who, once again, is just trying to capitalize on an opportunity) you should direct the hate towards Overeem. It's his fault that the fans are in this situation.

Always entertaining against anyone not named CroCop.

Post #6   4/4/12 10:24:11PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Chips:
I am down with jds vs mir. I just wanna see a title fight in Vegas

Have Cain vs big foot

Nelson vs meathead or Kongo

Post #7   4/4/12 10:26:25PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:

Posted by rush13
Murr didn't win, Big Nog lost the fight.

so no fighter ever wins a fight, its just that his opponent lost and as a formality Mir gets the win?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   4/4/12 11:51:57PM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,224-652
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
overeem pissed hot? i must say i'm honestly just as surprised as the rest of you. this fucks my weekend all up

Post #9   4/5/12 12:38:41AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Always entertaining against anyone not named CroCop.

Damn you and your correct usage of counter examples!

Post #10   4/5/12 12:45:38AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd say Hunto's star power is higher than Mir's, due to his being well respected in K1. K1 was a big thing - not just big in Japan.

Post #11   4/5/12 1:27:39AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,096-637
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of Mir fighting JDS, but he is on a much moer legit streak than Hunt. I don't have a problem with Hunt at all, but beating Kongo should not propel you into a title fight. I realize that there have been more odd title shots in the past, but that need not set a precedent. If AO does have to sit this one out, Mir should get the fight...and I have no doubt in my mind that AO should be cut. This is probably 50 times worse than the Marquardt situation and if Dana lets this one slide then it truly proves that there's one set of rules for the stars and another set for the rest of us.

Post #12   4/5/12 8:59:10AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

I'd say Hunto's star power is higher than Mir's, due to his being well respected in K1. K1 was a big thing - not just big in Japan.

Yeah, I could understand putting Hunt up against Dos Santos if the fight was in Australia, New Zealand, or Japan, but this is in Las Vegas, in Mir's backyard and he is a much bigger name in the US than Hunt. Not to mention, Mir is an all-around better fighter.

Post #13   4/5/12 9:41:47AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
my nut hugging aside no one else deserves the fight more atm and he can test jds

Post #14   4/5/12 12:51:38PM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,003-545
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by rush13

Guess what.

The ONLY reason Murr beat Big Nog was cuz Big Nog stopped punching and tried to submit Murr to prove a point...if Big Nog had continued punching Murr he would've won the fight 100%.

Post #15   4/5/12 1:57:48PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3