Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Print  
  Page 6 of 7   <<   3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by BuffaloDave

Why is it so shocking that people want to see Hunt over Mir? It's rather easy, with Hunt it will be a slug-fest, whereas Mir would get hit a few times and be done.

Fighters have done less to earn title shots. Under normal circumstances I'd say Hunt needs a win or two more against someone in the top 10, but since there might be a scramble for an opponent for JDS, Hunt's name should be thrown in the mix. Personally I still just want to see Mir fight Cain.

But hey if you have to explain to yourself that it's "fan boy power" thats fine, whatever helps you get through this. If not theres always Xanax.

First of all....

Its your OPINION that Hunt would make it a slug fest and Mir would lose quickly.

I personally think thats a piss poor opinion. In my opinion, Mir would be more exciting and have a MUCH better chance of winning.

Second....

Mir could reasonably be given a shot based off of his accomplishments in the UFC. Hunt can't.

There is no way you can argue, based off of what Hunt has done so far, that he deserves a title shot.

Therefore, the only thing left is fan boy power.

Trying to come at me, saying I have a piss poor opinion for thinking Mir will be lose quickly, well, I think you must be smoking crack to think Mir would be more exciting, since we're giving our OPINIONS. Mir doesn't have the greatest chin, and JDS might just be the best striker in the HW division. Mir was almost put out by Big Nog.

Now, I never said Hunt deserves it, re- read my 2nd paragraph. Believe me I think Mir is definitely more deserving of a title shot. Like I said, I just really want to see the fight with Cain stay as is, to me that's more exciting of a fight than with JDS.

Post #76   4/5/12 10:40:14PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by papercut

still a fan regardless. also, his body transformation from lhw to hw is actually very plausible to do naturally in the time he took to do it. here's hoping sample b comes back clean

Give me one other example of a person who's gained that much size in that little time.

Didn't Mir pack on like 30 pounds or so between Lesnar and Carwin?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #77   4/5/12 11:47:56PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by papercut

still a fan regardless. also, his body transformation from lhw to hw is actually very plausible to do naturally in the time he took to do it. here's hoping sample b comes back clean

Give me one other example of a person who's gained that much size in that little time.

250 to cutting to 265. so probably between 20-30 pounds but yes. He got big during that span.

Post #78   4/5/12 11:50:28PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by papercut

Muscle memory. Putting on muscle the second time around is much easier than the first. I don't think Mir is the greatest comparison.

IMO, it is possible to put on the amount of muscle that Overeem did in that time frame if all of the stars were aligned properly, but it would still be a daunting task. Also, everyone should keep in mind that most of it is functional muscle, not just show-muscle like a body builder would be putting on. Gaining mass is always a second priority for him behind his MMA/K-1 training, which makes the feat even more impressive.

Post #79   4/6/12 12:22:40AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Bubbles

Muscle memory. Putting on muscle the second time around is much easier than the first. I don't think Mir is the greatest comparison.

I don't recall Mir ever needing to cut to 265 and being jacked to shit prior to those above fights. Mind you I didn't really start to follow the sport until 2007-2008 so if was before then I wasn't aware

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #80   4/6/12 12:42:14AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Bubbles

I don't recall Mir ever needing to cut to 265 and being jacked to shit prior to those above fights. Mind you I didn't really start to follow the sport until 2007-2008 so if was before then I wasn't aware

He was pretty big at one point, earlier in his career. I don't know what weight he was at off the top of my head, but he was bigger than he was prior to his most recent weight gain. I'm sure part of it was new muscle, but I'm also certain at least part of it was re-gained.

edit: well, with the help of google, I can answer my own question.

Mir weighed in at 245 for UFC 100 and then 265 for UFC 107. I don't know what Frank's max weight was earlier in his career, but he was 257 at UFC 57...which is pictured below:

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 4/6/12 1:32AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #81   4/6/12 1:23:50AM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,003-545
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by BuffaloDave

Why is it so shocking that people want to see Hunt over Mir? It's rather easy, with Hunt it will be a slug-fest, whereas Mir would get hit a few times and be done.

Fighters have done less to earn title shots. Under normal circumstances I'd say Hunt needs a win or two more against someone in the top 10, but since there might be a scramble for an opponent for JDS, Hunt's name should be thrown in the mix. Personally I still just want to see Mir fight Cain.

But hey if you have to explain to yourself that it's "fan boy power" thats fine, whatever helps you get through this. If not theres always Xanax.

First of all....

Its your OPINION that Hunt would make it a slug fest and Mir would lose quickly.

I personally think thats a piss poor opinion. In my opinion, Mir would be more exciting and have a MUCH better chance of winning.

Second....

Mir could reasonably be given a shot based off of his accomplishments in the UFC. Hunt can't.

There is no way you can argue, based off of what Hunt has done so far, that he deserves a title shot.

Trying to come at me, saying I have a piss poor opinion for thinking Mir will be lose quickly, well, I think you must be smoking crack to think Mir would be more exciting, since we're giving our OPINIONS. Mir doesn't have the greatest chin, and JDS might just be the best striker in the HW division. Mir was almost put out by Big Nog.

Now, I never said Hunt deserves it, re- read my 2nd paragraph. Believe me I think Mir is definitely more deserving of a title shot. Like I said, I just really want to see the fight with Cain stay as is, to me that's more exciting of a fight than with JDS.

Well said BuffaloDave, the guy insults and belittles ppl's opinions if he doesn't agree with them.

Post #82   4/6/12 2:05:34AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,048-608
Chips:

Posted by rush13

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by BuffaloDave

First of all....

Second....

Well said BuffaloDave, the guy insults and belittles ppl's opinions if he doesn't agree with them.

this wouldnt be half as funny had you not done the exact same thing within this very thread.

Post #83   4/6/12 9:32:58AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Hmmm....

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #84   4/6/12 11:40:54AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,526-871
Chips:
lots of folks here, me excluded, have piss poor opinions, but they should not be labeled as such.

my opinions go by a label as well. they are called facts.

Post #85   4/6/12 1:55:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

First - It's also you're opinion that Mir would have a better chance of winning. So you're opinion on the matter doesn't discredit someone else's opinion either, as it's all subjective. Personally, i see Mir having absolutely no path to victory.

Ya but I explicitly stated that it was my opinion. I also only said it in response to someone else stating their opinion as a fact.

If you wanna debate who's got the better shot, I'm all for it. As long as you acknowledge that its a debate and that you're not automatically right.

Posted by rush13

I never insult and belittle people's opinions...

As long as they represent them as such.

I might belittle a POST in which someone presents an opinion as a fact, but thats an issue with procedure....not substance.

I might disagree with someone, but I think most people who know me on this site would tell you that I usually have very calm and well reasoned arguments with people.

What I take issue with is people attacking me or presenting their opinion as if its the only one.

Post #86   4/6/12 4:05:44PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,526-871
Chips:
FACT: the fun has been sucked out of this thread.

Post #87   4/6/12 4:38:34PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
86 posts in this thread and im shocked it hasnt been locked yet.

Post #88   4/6/12 7:20:29PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

If you wanna debate who's got the better shot, I'm all for it. As long as you acknowledge that its a debate and that you're not automatically right.

No problem.

My take. Junior has shown good enough wrestling to thwart Carwin entirely, and to make Cain feel like he needs to set up his shot's with strikes. His sprawl is very solid. I think he can all agree on that.

My opinion of Mir's wrestling is that it's the weakest part of his Grappling repotoire, and that its largely improbable that Mir succeeds with takedowns. The other route that leads to the ground is a takedown on Junior's part, or Junior following Mir to the ground. While i see this as a more valid possibility, i still think it's improbable based on Junior's performances. He's shown that offensively he likes to stick with his boxing, it's his most confident attribute and it's the area where no one has ever bested him. He's lost on the ground before, but he's never come close to losing on the feet. And a consistent trend among top level fighters is that their first true loss does alot in defining the area's where they're the most confident. While Mir's BJJ is definitely a step above JDS' brown belt, i think it's a hugely uphill battle for him to be able to utilize it. And on the feet i believe Mir is firmly outmatched due to his defensive flaws and Junior's ridiculous ability to create openings, coupled with Junior's tremendous power.

I believe JDS won't shy away from a Firefight on the feet until someone hurts him or bests him on the feet, which hasn't happened yet. So as far as current trends go, i think it's probable that JDS stands with Hunt if they fight. And Hunt's chances of winning a stand-up fight against JDS is better IMO, than Frank's chances of securing a takedown andsnatching a submission in a successive chain. Even if hunt is a faded fighter from his prime, which i dont personally believe(if anything i think he's at his best overall), this being a HW fight allows for a higher chance that a single punch can change the tide of the fight.

So ultimately, 2 punchers going at it in the highest weight class( seemingly within stride of each other's striking skills, but with a descrepancy in overall ability) is a closer match-up to me than a Grappler with a history of bad wrestling trying to enforce a grappling gameplan on the best sprawl & brawler in the division (even if the overall ability of the two fighters is within a closer range than the previous listed match-up.)

It's a styles make match-ups thing, And i see Junior v. Mir as alot like Babalu v. Chuck, except Babalu's wrestling was better.

Post #89   4/7/12 6:40:23AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by papercut

250 to cutting to 265. so probably between 20-30 pounds but yes. He got big during that span.

I generally agree with this. I am an Overeem fan, but I have always had my suspicions that he didn't go through his transformation 'cleanly'. Still, I did believe that it WAS possible, even if unlikely. I have presented my opinion countless times to hear people simply say some variation of this, "Nope, not possible. Just look at him. You can't gain that much muscle without being on PEDs. It's impossible." While I acknowledge that it is highly unlikely, I absolutely disagree that it is impossible for someone to do. Now that he's failed a test, it is all but certain that HE didn't do it without PEDs, but that still doesn't mean that doing what he did without them is impossible. I gained 30 pounds of muscle in less than 6 months taking nothing but protein. Now I don't pretend that my situation was exactly like Overeem's, but based on what I was able to do in 6 months makes me believe that it is POSSIBLE that someone could do what Overeem did without using PEDs.

Post #90   4/11/12 2:28:30PM   

Page 6 of 7   <<   3     4     5     6     7