Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Print  
  Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I personally think Mir is way more deserving AND would make for a much more competitive fight.

I'm honestly shocked that some people would rather see Hunt in there.

Hunt must have some "fan boy power" left over from his Pride days.

Thats the only way I can explain it to myself.

Why is it so shocking that people want to see Hunt over Mir? It's rather easy, with Hunt it will be a slug-fest, whereas Mir would get hit a few times and be done.

Fighters have done less to earn title shots. Under normal circumstances I'd say Hunt needs a win or two more against someone in the top 10, but since there might be a scramble for an opponent for JDS, Hunt's name should be thrown in the mix. Personally I still just want to see Mir fight Cain.

But hey if you have to explain to yourself that it's "fan boy power" thats fine, whatever helps you get through this. If not theres always Xanax.

Post #61   4/5/12 10:06:48AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
MIR MIR MIR - he is ready willing capable and most of all clean

Post #62   4/5/12 12:35:03PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Seriously what did the UFC expect.

They had to have had some inkling he was going to test positive. LOOK AT THE GUY

Post #63   4/5/12 12:51:52PM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,010-550
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

He isn't roiding.

Ya of course he isn't...and neither were Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire

Post #64   4/5/12 2:16:41PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:

Posted by rush13

Posted by Bubbles

He isn't roiding.

He isn't roiding, or at least the test didn't show any roids. He's probably performance enhancing by injecting testosterone, but they found no roids in his system so I guess I'm with stupid too.

I guess the reason so many people are going to argue about this is because taking any performance enhancer = roiding to most people. It's mostly semantics as far as I'm concerned, as roiding/taking testosterone are both pretty similar means to the same end and both can land you a nice suspension and ruin gigantic fights.

Last edited 4/5/12 2:26PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #65   4/5/12 2:25:57PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by rush13

Posted by Bubbles

He isn't roiding.

He isn't roiding, or at least the test didn't show any roids. He's probably performance enhancing by injecting testosterone, but they found no roids in his system so I guess I'm with stupid too.

I guess the reason so many people are going to argue about this is because taking any performance enhancer = roiding to most people. It's mostly semantics as far as I'm concerned, as roiding/taking testosterone are both pretty similar means to the same end and both can land you a nice suspension and ruin gigantic fights.

Well it comes down to splitting hairs I guess. Testosterone is defined as an anabolic steroid, and I think the term roids (roiding) pertains to anabolics according to roidssite.com and urbandictionary. Technically, testosterone would fall into that category as far as I can tell. I'm not weighing in on the reem situation in particular, but testosterone is an anabolic steroid and if your levels are way above normal as a result of taking testosterone, I think it would qualify as roiding.

Post #66   4/5/12 2:48:51PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It's common knowledge horse meat comes up hot in a piss test. Just joking.

Post #67   4/5/12 3:26:28PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
14:1 ratio? What's up Ultimate Warrior?

Post #68   4/5/12 3:47:59PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
still a fan regardless. also, his body transformation from lhw to hw is actually very plausible to do naturally in the time he took to do it. here's hoping sample b comes back clean

Post #69   4/5/12 5:59:57PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by gartface

14:1 ratio? What's up Ultimate Warrior?

Ultimate shoot interview

Post #70   4/5/12 7:53:48PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by papercut

still a fan regardless. also, his body transformation from lhw to hw is actually very plausible to do naturally in the time he took to do it. here's hoping sample b comes back clean

Give me one other example of a person who's gained that much size in that little time.

Post #71   4/5/12 8:23:40PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by papercut

Give me one other example of a person who's gained that much size in that little time.

Graeme is all natural. he's currently prepping for a natural body building competition. in 3 years he has packed on nearly 50 pounds of muscle. overeem between fights at lhw was walking around 220-230. so putting 20 pounds on with his frame wouldn't be hard at all in that time frame.

Post #72   4/5/12 8:39:44PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by bjj1605

I personally think Mir is way more deserving AND would make for a much more competitive fight.

I'm honestly shocked that some people would rather see Hunt in there.

Hunt must have some "fan boy power" left over from his Pride days.

Thats the only way I can explain it to myself.

Why is it so shocking that people want to see Hunt over Mir? It's rather easy, with Hunt it will be a slug-fest, whereas Mir would get hit a few times and be done.

Fighters have done less to earn title shots. Under normal circumstances I'd say Hunt needs a win or two more against someone in the top 10, but since there might be a scramble for an opponent for JDS, Hunt's name should be thrown in the mix. Personally I still just want to see Mir fight Cain.

But hey if you have to explain to yourself that it's "fan boy power" thats fine, whatever helps you get through this. If not theres always Xanax.

First of all....

Its your OPINION that Hunt would make it a slug fest and Mir would lose quickly.

I personally think thats a piss poor opinion. In my opinion, Mir would be more exciting and have a MUCH better chance of winning.

Second....

Mir could reasonably be given a shot based off of his accomplishments in the UFC. Hunt can't.

There is no way you can argue, based off of what Hunt has done so far, that he deserves a title shot.

Therefore, the only thing left is fan boy power.

Post #73   4/5/12 8:40:57PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Lol, sorry man, I am not trying to jump on your ass or anything. And I do understand where you are coming from. Here in the US, it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and yeah everyone is slamming The Reem before we even know what the status of the B sample is. So perhaps that is a bad job by the majority of the MMA community. However, it just seems that due to the circumstances, short of a clean B test, that AO is up a creek on this one. Given the stipulations of his license to fight Lesnar, I can't think of a single reason for his testosterone levels to be that high.

Its all good buddy, I'm the first to admit that all of this confuses the shit out of me, mostly I am just dissapointed that this fight isn't going to happen Whether he is on something or not the whole situation just flat out sucks.

Post #74   4/5/12 9:26:43PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

First of all....

Its your OPINION that Hunt would make it a slug fest and Mir would lose quickly.

I personally think thats a piss poor opinion. In my opinion, Mir would be more exciting and have a MUCH better chance of winning.

Second....

Mir could reasonably be given a shot based off of his accomplishments in the UFC. Hunt can't.

There is no way you can argue, based off of what Hunt has done so far, that he deserves a title shot.

Therefore, the only thing left is fan boy power.

First - It's also you're opinion that Mir would have a better chance of winning. So you're opinion on the matter doesn't discredit someone else's opinion either, as it's all subjective. Personally, i see Mir having absolutely no path to victory.

Second - Wanting a good/competitive fight isn't fan boy power. It's consumer interest. If someone thinks Hunt has more of a chance than Mir due to the styles, it's not necassarily because of "fan boy power". Sometimes it's simple logic.

and lastly - there is a way you can argue that what Hunt has done so far merits a title shot. It's called precedence. People have gotten title shots due to far less. It would be hard to argue that Hunt deserves it the most, but there's been a number of challengers who've won the HW title who got their title shot due to less. Frank Mir, Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar included.

Post #75   4/5/12 10:12:16PM   

Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7