Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Tale of Brock Lesnar

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
notice he was "scared" of all the people he couldn't take down.

Post #16   4/1/12 2:54:49AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't see fear at all, Brock is obviously a warrior, anyone can see that by his attitude.

But a warrior has a choice upon getting hit, and a true MMA fighter will intelligently defend themselves, which is usually a smart choice in a mixed martial arts fight whereas Brock covers himself blindly - turtling, as many call it. But I do not think it's fear, he merely does not like getting hit. Which is a silly idea, as strikes hurt just as much whether you are turtling up or not.

Turtling has its advantages, but not in MMA. Turtles in the wild often use this technique to great effect to evade predators, however, as Lesnar found, it does not work without a shell.

Post #17   4/1/12 10:39:35PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Turtling has its advantages, but not in MMA. Turtles in the wild often use this technique to great effect to evade predators, however, as Lesnar found, it does not work without a shell.

Deep thoughts with Jack Handy.

Post #18   4/1/12 10:56:20PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Brock vs Min Soo Kim - No fear.

Brock vs Frank Mir I - No fear.

Brock vs Heath Herring - No fear.

Brock vs Randy Couture - Cautious ( fear was introduced )

Brock vs Frank Mir II - More cautious ( fear is settling in )

Brock vs Shane Carwin - Fear vs Will and Will won.

Brock vs Cain Velasquez - Fear vs Will and Fear won.

Brock vs Alistair Overeem - Scared.

There is more than one type of fear KFM, and the fear you continue to allude to isn't a type of fear prevalent in the fight world, considering it's kind of a prerequisite to not be fearful of. The fear that IS common, as with any type of performer, is the fear of not screwing up in front of an audience, and/or those who have worked hard to train you. I did a lot of stage acting in high school, and actors don't fear not being able to act during a performance, they fear forgetting their lines, etc. Not wanting to get punched in the face isn't normally product of fear for a professional fighter I'd suspect, it's a product of not wanting to get punched in the face, and not having the necessary experience to switch off that reactionary part of your brain that says you must recoil from pain.

I think it's a bit insulting to what Brock Lesnar achieved in his short career, to say he was scared to fight in the traditional way that average people don't like to fight based on the fight or flight instinct. Professional fighters, at least the successful ones, learn to deal with that emotion, Brock is no different, and I think he knew that from the moment he chose to enter the sport.

You have a good point but if I remember correctly - there are only two basic emotions which are fear and love. Cautious would fall under fear.

As bjj165 would put it, "It's morphin' time!"

Last edited 4/6/12 1:24AM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   4/6/12 1:22:09AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2