Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Tale of Brock Lesnar

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I just had a revelation recently about Brock.

In the beginning, Brock was fearless. He entered mma without any training and was willing to take on giants and cyclops. He ventured across the seven seas to find warriors who could give him a good sweat. One could have a lifetime experience of the finest and deadliest martial arts in the world - and Brock would just literally squash him like a bug.

Untrained but fearless as he continued to dominate and mock all those who have come before him. With ease, he dismantled champions and former champions left and right.

.....And then someone decided to take Brock under his wings - and teach him the philosophy and elements of fighting. He molded Brock - taught him to be cautious of this and that... He taught Brock to be cautious of eye pokes, arm pit tickles, finger flicks and much more......and soon Brock became human. He began to feel fear. He was afraid to be flicked and tickled. He was afraid for the first time in his life. The man who was supposedly helping Brock to become a better fighter - instilled fear in him...

...And since then - Brock has become more human ever since.

The question is...."If Brock had not joined an mma gym, would he still be fighting today?"

Post #1   3/30/12 6:24:29PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
That is right - I am acussing of whoever was training Brock - for instilling fear in him. I personally think Brock would have been a much better fighter without the training. All the trainind did was instilled fear in him.

Post #2   3/30/12 6:35:48PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Brock did change his philsophy on fighting like he found the god of MMA. That or I guess almost dying twice cause of what happened to him would straighten out your prioritys in life.

Post #3   3/30/12 6:48:25PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Last edited 3/30/12 7:11PM server time by DeadHead988
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/30/12 7:10:50PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think Cain Velasquez hit him in the eye.....that's what scared him.

Post #5   3/31/12 1:28:52PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Eh. I think Brock Manhandled his training partners. Pat barry, Chris Turscherererrerererererer. They're not ones to instill fear, for they have no way of stopping lesnar's takedown and/or hurting him after sprawling.

Lesnar's arms are just to big to properly guard his body from the attacks of Cain, Carwin, and Overeem. And so he turned and barrelrolled out of there as a means of creating distance.

Post #6   3/31/12 3:15:15PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Brock was never the same after Kurt Angle whooped him.

Post #7   3/31/12 4:29:59PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
really? you think his MMA gym and training partners were the reason for his downfall? Please find me a professional fighter who has any sort of success that doesn't belong to a gym

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   3/31/12 7:21:48PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Brock vs Min Soo Kim - No fear.

Brock vs Frank Mir I - No fear.

Brock vs Heath Herring - No fear.

Brock vs Randy Couture - Cautious ( fear was introduced )

Brock vs Frank Mir II - More cautious ( fear is settling in )

Brock vs Shane Carwin - Fear vs Will and Will won.

Brock vs Cain Velasquez - Fear vs Will and Fear won.

Brock vs Alistair Overeem - Scared.

Post #9   3/31/12 7:43:06PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,514-925
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I would imagine the potentially life threatening bouts with diverticulitis had more to do with the fear than anything. That seemed to be the real psychological turning point in Lesnar's MMA career.

Post #10   3/31/12 7:57:29PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I would imagine the potentially life threatening bouts with diverticulitis had more to do with the fear than anything. That seemed to be the real psychological turning point in Lesnar's MMA career.

You and Prozac brought up a good point regarding Brock's health which definitely played a role in Brock's performance. I'm not denying that at all..but I also noticed how Brock's approach changed in his fights with Randy and Mir (second fight). In the fight with Randy and the second fight with Mir, Brock was a bit hesitant in the first round. I personally think he could have demolished them in the first if he was not hesitant. In the second round of those fights, Brock finally realized how much stronger he was and he crushed them.

So what I'm saying is - the training he received made him more cautious and hesitant and he was not being the fearless fighter he was when he fought the first few times.

I know I am stretching this idea a bit but I truly believe there is some truths to what I said. Brock was trained to be cautious of certain things and it made him more vulnerable as a fighter IMO.

Post #11   3/31/12 8:21:10PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Brock vs Min Soo Kim - Don't really remember

Brock vs Frank Mir I - His no fear attitude got him tapped by technique. He was forced to learn Sub defense

Brock vs Heath Herring - Too big and strong for heath who didnt have nearly the sub game of Frank.

Brock vs Randy Couture - You say Cautious. Well he was being pushed around by a guy much smaller and older then him. Until he caught Randy behind the ear.

Brock vs Frank Mir II - He worked on sub D and won the fight

Brock vs Shane Carwin - The first time we really saw him get hit in the face he showed he didn't like it at all. Then he uses a choke that had he not joined a gym he prob wouldn't have known.

Brock vs Cain Velasquez - He fought a guy he wasn't going to be able to take down and wasn't going to out box. Anyone who knew anything should have had Cain in that fight.

Brock vs Alistair Overeem - See above.

I don't think the gym had anything to do with it. Other then helping him win the fights he did.

Post #12   3/31/12 8:33:56PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
^^^ What he said. Brock was the cause of his own downfall. He does not like getting hit, unless he fixes this, he will always have that huge sweet spot in his armor.

Post #13   3/31/12 8:48:47PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
you see fear, everyone else sees him employing a gameplan. if gameplan = fear, then every fighter in the world is scared.

Last edited 3/31/12 9:01PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   3/31/12 8:59:51PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Brock vs Min Soo Kim - No fear.

Brock vs Frank Mir I - No fear.

Brock vs Heath Herring - No fear.

Brock vs Randy Couture - Cautious ( fear was introduced )

Brock vs Frank Mir II - More cautious ( fear is settling in )

Brock vs Shane Carwin - Fear vs Will and Will won.

Brock vs Cain Velasquez - Fear vs Will and Fear won.

Brock vs Alistair Overeem - Scared.

There is more than one type of fear KFM, and the fear you continue to allude to isn't a type of fear prevalent in the fight world, considering it's kind of a prerequisite to not be fearful of. The fear that IS common, as with any type of performer, is the fear of not screwing up in front of an audience, and/or those who have worked hard to train you. I did a lot of stage acting in high school, and actors don't fear not being able to act during a performance, they fear forgetting their lines, etc. Not wanting to get punched in the face isn't normally product of fear for a professional fighter I'd suspect, it's a product of not wanting to get punched in the face, and not having the necessary experience to switch off that reactionary part of your brain that says you must recoil from pain.

I think it's a bit insulting to what Brock Lesnar achieved in his short career, to say he was scared to fight in the traditional way that average people don't like to fight based on the fight or flight instinct. Professional fighters, at least the successful ones, learn to deal with that emotion, Brock is no different, and I think he knew that from the moment he chose to enter the sport.

Last edited 3/31/12 11:56PM server time by warglory

Post #15   3/31/12 11:54:33PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2