Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cain Velasquez: 'I'm a realist, I knew I wasn't going to go through my career undefeated'

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez is trying to keep it real.

Booked for a rebound fight against Frank Mir at the UFC 146 pay-per-view (PPV) event from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 26, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada, Velasquez is hoping to erase the memories of a disastrous performance against Junior dos Santos at the inaugural UFC on FOX event late last year.

"Cigano" knocked him silly in just 64 seconds.

It was a performance that left him "unhappy." Not only did he fail to retain his 265-pound crown, but Velasquez also regrets not being able to deliver the kind of fight fans were hoping to see.

Those comments (via Yahoo! Sports) and more, after the jump.

"I'm a realist. I knew I wasn't going to go through my career undefeated. That's how this sport is. People lose. Even the best guys lose. I knew as soon as it was over, I had to pick myself back up and keep going forward. I do have some extra motivation now, for sure, but I wish that for that night things had gone differently and that the fans had gotten the fight they came to see. Ultimately, I let myself down. I don't ever want that to happen, and not for Fox or anything else. I want to go out there and win. Stuff happens. I get that, but I definitely wasn't happy with my performance. What it comes down to it, I don't want to be in that position again."

Link

Post #1   3/29/12 10:29:13AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I'm glad Cain has made amends with his loss to Junior. Cain's game plan was strategically wrong against Junior. From the get go, Cain should have aimed for take downs and clinches.

Anyway, I believe the much anticipated fight between Cain and Junior which ended in anti-climatic fashion - needs a second chance. I don't even care if it is not a title fight. It needs to happen again.

Post #2   3/29/12 11:51:13AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,027-597
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
For the record I am not a brainologist, but I would gander that "knocked silly in just 64 seconds" precludes the necessity for "Velasquez is hoping to erase the memories of a disastrous performance".Joking aside, that was not how I had expected the fight to go, and I think he would fair better in a rematch. I think Cain is at least top 3 still, and he will more than likely make another title run if there are no new contenders in the near future. Apologies for the atrocious attempt at grammars in sentence one.

Post #3   3/29/12 1:55:45PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
Good that'll make the next loss to Mir even easier

Post #4   3/29/12 3:57:59PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by the-king

you're high as shit

Post #5   3/29/12 6:02:46PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by the-king

I think if Mir gives everything he has in the first round, he stands a very good chance of winning but unfortunately I know how Mir fights. He has always been plagued with a weak cardio ( and he knows this ) and he has tried to pace himself in the first rounds of his recent fights by being relaxed. Some would say 'too relaxed.'

My suggestion is a bit of a gamble but I honestly think it is what Mir should do. All or nothing in the first round.

Post #6   3/29/12 6:36:23PM