Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

With growing focus on TRT, UFC boss says hands tied by maddening logistics

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
MMA Junkie

"We've got 375 guys under contract," White said. "We're doing a zillion fights a year, traveling all over the world, all these other things that we're doing. Now, you really think that we can crack down and [expletive] chase these guys around everywhere they live all over the world and just randomly test these guys all the time?"

Last edited 3/29/12 8:56AM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/29/12 8:56:22AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:
rather than chasing everyone, do as they just did for 146: test them at the press conference a month or so before the event

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   3/29/12 11:09:34AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,621-1,343
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

rather than chasing everyone, do as they just did for 146: test them at the press conference a month or so before the event

Then since it's out of competition, do they use a different PED list as to what's a positive? There are some that only matter when close to a fight (Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, etc)

Post #3   3/29/12 11:12:01AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
nfl= 1696 players 32 teams
nba= 360 to 450 players 30 teams
mlb= 750 players 30 teams
nhl= 211 players 30 teams

with teams and players being in different cities, they still get it done, what should UFC be excused from it????

yes i know they still have usage but at least they are trying instead of saying F it, it is to much a logistics pain

Post #4   3/29/12 1:17:20PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,096-637
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Manak

with teams and players being in different cities, they still get it done, what should UFC be excused from it????

yes i know they still have usage but at least they are trying instead of saying F it, it is to much a logistics pain

I would argue the logistics are indeed quite a draw back when considering random testing. The leagues you listed not only have more money than Zuffa, especially MLB and NFL, but all of those teams are localized into one city each. They aren't scattered in Brazil, Japan, Thailand, Germany, Britain...you get the picture. When these guys train, they train with their teams at their regular locations. They can't skip team practices, so all you would really need to do is tell them when to be tested. The where is already covered and the tests can't just be blown off. Finally, those teams all have seasons, so randomized testing would only be done during the season or preseason, and those players will all be on site as opposed to some fighter who decides he is going to Moscow to learn Judo from Vladdy Putin. There is a way to accomplish this, like someone said during press conferences, but there clearly is a logistic issue for the UFC compared to other sports.

Post #5   3/29/12 1:26:29PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:

Posted by Manak

gotta correct you here. 20 players are active each game and there are usually 2 or 3 scratches from the active roster. So lets say 22 players x 30 teams = 660 players. There is no way there are more guys in the NBA than the NHL

other than that, you have a point

Last edited 3/29/12 4:23PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   3/29/12 4:23:10PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Manak

gotta correct you here. 20 players are active each game and there are usually 2 or 3 scratches from the active roster. So lets say 22 players x 30 teams = 660 players. There is no way there are more guys in the NBA than the NHL

other than that, you have a point

thanks, fucking idiots at wiki answers can't multiply

Post #7   3/29/12 5:04:15PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Manak

I would argue the logistics are indeed quite a draw back when considering random testing. The leagues you listed not only have more money than Zuffa, especially MLB and NFL, but all of those teams are localized into one city each. They aren't scattered in Brazil, Japan, Thailand, Germany, Britain...you get the picture. When these guys train, they train with their teams at their regular locations. They can't skip team practices, so all you would really need to do is tell them when to be tested. The where is already covered and the tests can't just be blown off. Finally, those teams all have seasons, so randomized testing would only be done during the season or preseason, and those players will all be on site as opposed to some fighter who decides he is going to Moscow to learn Judo from Vladdy Putin. There is a way to accomplish this, like someone said during press conferences, but there clearly is a logistic issue for the UFC compared to other sports.

I see what you are saying but they can always make a testing commission within the UFC, if they wanna say UFC is worth 1 or 2 billing then they can afford to have a committee on this. this isn't some small problem, it can stain an era in a sport just ask the MLB.

finally it can't be that hard to find fighters, you have where they live and where their fight camps are, so whats the problem?? not to mention the managers numbers, so lets say the committee calls the manager, the manager calls the fighter, then the manager calls back the committee, geez that was a lot of trouble , that was just 3 phone calls .

and to make it even easier to find fighters give fines to those fighters who ignore requests from the committee, these are grown men so don't tell me they have so much going on in their lives they can't tell their manager or who they put as their contact to the committee where they are, incase they come asking.

Last edited 3/29/12 5:17PM server time by manak

Post #8   3/29/12 5:15:46PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,621-1,343
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In most of those (or all) those pro sports listed, they show up at their locker before or after practice or a game and have a note that says they have a random test that day.

You can't do that in MMA, not everyone trains at UFC HQ, and the AC's have already said they won't pay for it. Unless every single promotion has to pay for their own testing, the UFC shouldn't have to. Just because you climbed to the top, doesn't mean you should be held to higher standards than other promotions on stricter testing when even AC's don't require it and refuse to pay for it.

Bad analogy.

Post #9   3/29/12 7:55:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Honestly this whole debate is such a distraction.

The UFC is a professional sporting organization.

If they want to live up to and maintain the title of "professional", then they need to figure out how to keep PEDs out of the UFC.

Regardless of the logistics.

Post #10   3/29/12 11:47:16PM