Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir Thinks That Fighting in Brazil Is Probably a Bad Idea

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
We finally know when Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen will make sweet violence to one another for a second time: It'll be June 23 in Rio de Janeiro.

Sonnen likely won't be well-received by the fans there. That's what happens when you spend two years badmouthing an entire country and their most beloved fighter. But another UFC fighter says he's not too keen on fighting in Brazil either.

Frank Mir explained his viewpoint while talking to CraveOnline:

Link

Post #1   3/27/12 1:29:01AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
fyi you have to scroll over a few articles to get to it.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   3/27/12 12:22:43PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mir: f I go to a restaurant and someone is a Nogueira fan, what are they gonna do to my food? Brazilian fans, fans in general, can be kinda crazy ... I've received quite a few crazy Emails ... Google translate is a phenomenal thing but it kind of makes you cringe a little bit when you see what people wanna say.

The Brazilian fans are certainly the most vocal and outgoing in the entire sport. During the UFC's first trip to Brazil, media members sitting by the octagon were showered in beer thrown by unruly fans.

They're passionate about the sport, but you can't blame Mir and other UFC stars who are hesitant to fight there.

Makes sense to me, the fans at the weigh-ins were telling the non-Brazilian fighters like Mendes that they hoped he would die.

Brazilian fans are easily the most disrespectful fans I've ever seen.

Post #3   3/27/12 12:29:34PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Mir: f I go to a restaurant and someone is a Nogueira fan, what are they gonna do to my food? Brazilian fans, fans in general, can be kinda crazy ... I've received quite a few crazy Emails ... Google translate is a phenomenal thing but it kind of makes you cringe a little bit when you see what people wanna say.

The Brazilian fans are certainly the most vocal and outgoing in the entire sport. During the UFC's first trip to Brazil, media members sitting by the octagon were showered in beer thrown by unruly fans.

They're passionate about the sport, but you can't blame Mir and other UFC stars who are hesitant to fight there.

Makes sense to me, the fans at the weigh-ins were telling the non-Brazilian fighters like Mendes that they hoped he would die.

Brazilian fans are easily the most disrespectful fans I've ever seen.

Mir needs to pack a ton of frozen foods for this trip.

Post #4   3/27/12 12:40:34PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

fyi you have to scroll over a few articles to get to it.

yeah, Bleachers report is a little tricky sometimes. Sorry guys

Post #5   3/27/12 1:00:35PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
“Greetings from Sao Paulo! I'm learning the language: breakdancing in the Special Olympics is called Capoiera and cocaine is called brunch”

“Brazil likes to boast that it’s the power seat of MMA, yet it’s so-called champions bow to the man behind 'Under Siege 2.'…….. Classy" - chael sonnen

oh chael, i cant believe the things that come out of your mouth sometimes.

Post #6   3/27/12 1:38:47PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

“Greetings from Sao Paulo! I'm learning the language: breakdancing in the Special Olympics is called Capoiera and cocaine is called brunch”

“Brazil likes to boast that it’s the power seat of MMA, yet it’s so-called champions bow to the man behind 'Under Siege 2.'…….. Classy" - chael sonnen

oh chael, i cant believe the things that come out of your mouth sometimes.

Don't forget 'The Glimmer Man' - - Seegal should be executed by the brahzelian faithful for that trash.

Last edited 3/27/12 1:59PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/27/12 1:57:50PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

yeah, Bleacher Report is worthless. Sorry guys

Fixed.

Post #8   3/27/12 4:29:05PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Right guys.

Lets vilify the Brazilians.

In know way should we criticize Chael for the racist, ethnocentric, generalizing, and offensive statements that he makes.

It's just 'entertainment', right?

Suppose I would find it entertaining to see Chael Sonnen chased out of Brazil in fear for his life. Does that excuse the behavior? Not at all.

People need to be held accountable for the things they say. Chael says very offensive things.

PS. I rarely here people talk about the fact that American's chant "USA, USA" every time a foreign fighter comes out. Why is it that other countries must be held to a stricter standard regarding the bounds of patriotism than we are?

Post #9   3/27/12 8:18:30PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Right guys.

Lets vilify the Brazilians.

I rarely here people talk about the fact that American's chant "USA, USA" every time a foreign fighter comes out. Why is it that other countries must be held to a stricter standard regarding the bounds of patriotism than we are?

I hope you're joking.

They were chanting "Die Mendes Die" during the weigh-ins.
They were chanting "Die Rumble Die" during the weigh-ins.
Both guys had encounters of fans walking up to them telling them they hoped they would die.
The entire media section at UFC Rio was covered in beer thrown by the fans.

How does any of that relate to anything about stricter standards for patriotism than the US is?

That is a safety issue.

Last edited 3/27/12 8:29PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   3/27/12 8:28:45PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Imagine US Fans chanting "Die Belfort Die"
And "Die Aldo Die"
And multiple fans walking up to Vitor and Jose telling them they hoped they would die tonight.
Toss in more beer-throwing than possibly all other UFC events combined.

If that went down in Vegas by US fans, it would've been a MUCH bigger issue.

Post #11   3/27/12 8:35:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'll be honest.

I'm exhibiting an extreme counter position.

It's not that I think its appropriate for Brazilians to threaten the lives of other country's fighters. Fighting is a sport and threatening the safety of a fighter is stepping over a line...big time.

I just get offended by the fact that everyone is willing to trash the Brazilians left and right. A lot of the statements border on racism (countryism?) in my opinion.

Chael is partially responsible for this situation because of the extremely disrespectful statements he has made.

Besides... I think it is all just for show on the part of the Brazilians. I don't think anyone is actually in danger.

Nothing wrong with heightening security just in case. I'd just rather see people avoid these broad statements about an entire country based on the actions of a few wacko sports fans.

Post #12   3/27/12 9:22:13PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I watched an event on HDnet last year where the entire stadium was chanting, "You're going to die." every time a non Brazilian was walking out. I've never seen any televised event in any other country where the home crowd called for the foreigner's death. Restaurants would be rough.

Post #13   3/27/12 10:56:10PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Free speech is one thing, but you should not make death threats or hopeful death predictions of the opposing fighter. It seems like everyone is too passionate about their own perspective, at the expense of others. and all anyone can do is try to set a good example for others to follow.

Brazil seems more pro brazil and anti usa .about nationality than the rest of the mma world. In the USA it is common to root for and respect other non USA fighters and cultures, and Americans still get called stupid and whatever else for the slightest hint of national pride, whereas every other country it is expected that they will be nationalist and anything they do in that spirit is overlooked. If we did the same stuff they would complain that American fans are prejudiced.

Post #14   3/28/12 12:24:30PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Chips:
I cant even bring myself to visit Brazil because of the crime, I cant imagine fighting a major brazilian celebrity surrounded by close to 100 000 fans.

Is it racist to value your life?

Post #15   3/28/12 6:22:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2