Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite apparent support, Thiago Santos' camp not entirely happy with Bellator brass

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Thiago Santos' manager makes no excuses for his fighter missing weight for Friday's Bellator 62 event.

That said, he's not exactly thrilled at the circumstances that were presented to his client.

Despite Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney's decision not to cut Santos for the infraction and to instead help connect him with a nutritional expert, manager Josef Borges believes the company should take a little responsibility for the misstep.

"What happened with Thiago was that he needed to cut a lot of weight for the fight on March 16," Borges told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "He cut 12 kilograms (27.5 pounds) up until 1 p.m. of March 15, when I called him to inform him the fight was postponed. At that moment, he was only 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) from making weight...

Full Story

Post #1   3/25/12 2:08:00AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
What an absolute joke......besides Andy, who gains that much weight in a week

Post #2   3/25/12 2:25:58AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
at this point in his career he should have this stuff under control. 33lbs!? that's ridiculous to cut anyway, he should have leaned up a long time ago.

Post #3   3/25/12 3:19:38AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Chips:
Ah yes, the old "blame the promotion for a fighter missing weight" excuse. I'm glad they took that card out of their back pocket.

Last edited 3/25/12 3:59AM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/25/12 3:33:31AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd say it should be the other way around. Bellator has every right as a promotion to be upset at Santos. Not once but twice was this fight cancelled. He had an extra week to cut the weight and he couldn't do it. That's one him, not anyone else. Now the wanna get bent at Bellator? Rebney is more then willing to help with his nutrition so that way he has no more problems cutting weight. I'd take whatever help he is willing to give just to get back on their good side

Last edited 3/25/12 5:16AM server time by prophecy033

Post #5   3/25/12 5:10:33AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 40-51

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,660-1,039
Chips:
Santos should be counting his lucky stars! Bellator is hooking him up with a nutritionist and treating him extremely fair after he ruined there heavyweight tournament. If this fight was in the UFC he would of been fired minutes after the weigh ins, deported and Dana probably would have bashed him for 3
weeks on Twitter!!

Post #6   3/25/12 10:50:52AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:
He should've also had "flu-like symptoms" like Prindle did the week before and then the fight would be happening this Friday.

Post #7   3/25/12 12:28:54PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
"The Brazilian heavyweight, who hovers around 300 pounds prior to his fights, has thus far remained quiet on the situation."

How about get your eating under control and get in some better shape, then you won't have to cut as much and you can make the cut easier.

I do see the point with Santos' camp. Bellator isn't the UFC, UFC prolly would have pushed it back a few weeks or a more.

And we are talking about the HW's, who have more to cut and put back on when they cut, so asking him to cut then push the fight back and he needs to rehydrate and put the weight back on and then tell him to make that cut again is a little wild.

Also maybe all them of them should have talked and been like "hey, I'm going to need it pushed back another week if you're going to make me cut 40lbs again."

Last edited 3/25/12 12:39PM server time by twenty20dollars

Post #8   3/25/12 12:29:32PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Chips:
In other news, Santos, Rumble Johnson, and Tim Sylvia are forming a new camp:

"The Fat-zilians"

Post #9   3/25/12 1:00:24PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
This is borderline fighter bashing but seriously, fuck this guy. If he's going to pull all this shit and turn around and blame Bellator then he doesn't deserve to fight for them. He's one of their best Heavyweights (not saying much) but still. He doesn't deserve to fight for them or have them stand up for him.

Post #10   3/25/12 1:24:32PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

This is borderline fighter bashing but seriously, fuck this guy. If he's going to pull all this shit and turn around and blame Bellator then he doesn't deserve to fight for them. He's one of their best Heavyweights (not saying much) but still. He doesn't deserve to fight for them or have them stand up for him.

It's kind of like a Finkelstein/Fedor situation though since Santos hasn't actually said a word about it.

Post #11   3/25/12 1:29:08PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Budgellism

It's kind of like a Finkelstein/Fedor situation though since Santos hasn't actually said a word about it.

That's true. I'm jumping the gun a little bit.

Post #12   3/25/12 1:52:47PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I have a solution.

Reduce the need for fighters to cut weight.

Have a rule that fighters must weigh in 6 weeks prior to their fight and that they can only lose (x%) of their body weight by fight night.

That way weight classes actually are meaningful and guys will always be fighting people of a similar size. Right now weight classes just test who's better at gaming the system.

Post #13   3/25/12 4:33:23PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
I assume Prindle was ok making weight both weeks. I don't understand why Santos had to balloon all the way back up knowing he had to cut again in a week. This is all on Santos and his camp, not on Bellator

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   3/25/12 5:26:33PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,124-652
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I have a solution.

Reduce the need for fighters to cut weight.

Have a rule that fighters must weigh in 6 weeks prior to their fight and that they can only lose (x%) of their body weight by fight night.

That way weight classes actually are meaningful and guys will always be fighting people of a similar size. Right now weight classes just test who's better at gaming the system.

Weight cutting is a huge part of the sport/game. Its the same in all combat sports. Its purely strategy and up to the fighters to choose whch weight class they can and want to fight in. Its also a big mental part of the game and tests discipline. Its what makes the athletes mentally tougher than in other sports. For anyone who has competed in wrestling, MMA, boxing etc, its just part of the sport. Finally, Frankie Edgar chooses not to cut much wieght and is successful. Other fighters cut a lot of weight and are successful. The problem is with the fighters (or trainers who recommend it) who cut too much weight or do not know how to cut weight or have a proper diet. If a fighter doesnt have the discipline or cant handle the diet/weight cut, they can fight in higher weight classes. That's why they are there. The super heavy weights, those walking around over 300 pounds, usually carry a lot of fat and can cut down.

Cutting is pretty basic - if you want to fight in a lower weight class - lift less weights (big muscles weigh a lot), lower your calories, eat very healthy as every calorie has to have nutrients and be good for you, lose a couple pounds a week during training camp and then get yourself within a reasonable water weight cut the day before.

Post #15   3/26/12 8:57:30AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2