Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How much force for a punch to send 400 lbs bag flying into the air ?

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Are there any boxer that have enough power to make a heavy bag, weighing 400lb or more, fly over long distances? I think MMA fighters like Rampage and Brock Lesnar and HW boxers like Foreman and Tyson could make a 400 pound bag flying into ceiling and thump it, much like the kick that have been done by Bruce Lee on a 300lb bag. But I'm sceptical about Bruce Lee feats because there are only anecdotal evidences from his friends. This is from Bob Wall interview,

'Bob Wall: And so I went as a joke, made him a 300 pound bag. I don’t think there’s a bag bigger than that. And so I stuffed it and called Bruce up in Bel Air and he had a Porshe, and I said “Hey Bruce, why don’t you come on down, I made you a man-sized bag” and he came and Joe and a bunch of our students all hid, I got on the phone, pretending to be on the phone, and I said “Yeah Bruce, go ahead and throw it in the back, its in there hanging up” and so he walked in and the expression on his face would have been great to have on film, and we all fell over when he saw the size of bag…

MPM: (laughs)

Bob Wall: …but he wouldn’t allow us to let him think it was a joke

(at this point Bob gets another call but quickly returns)

It was a friend of mine but I told him I’m in the middle of an interview so anyway we all popped out laughing and Bruce kick it once and fell over and then we helped him take it over to his place and hung it up in the garage and then he went over and kicked it and it broke the whole structure of the garage!

MPM: Wow!

Bob Wall: And so he had Herb (Jackson) come over and redo the whole garage and I’ll tell you, two months later, I saw him and he could kick the heck out of the bag!'

Actually, did the bag really hit the ceiling or because of the bag weight, then the whole structure of the garage broke? Both seems like nonsense to me.

Then this is Wally Jay's quote about Bruce Lee,

"I last saw Bruce after he moved from Culver City to Bel Air. He had a big heavy bag hanging out on his patio. It weighed 300lbs. I could hardly move it at all. Bruce said to me "Hey, Wally, watch this" and he jumped back and kicked it and this monster of a heavy bag went up to the ceiling, Thump!!! And came back down. I still can't believe the power that guy had".

I think the bag maybe only weigh at 100-200. Perhaps. But, just assume that Lee's feat is indeed real, do you know any boxer or MMA fighter that could perform such a feat? I think Tyson with his 1800 psi punch can make a 350 pound bag flying as much as Lee kick the 300lbs bag, if not more impressive.

Last edited 3/23/12 8:48AM server time by Lolok
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/23/12 6:06:29AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
400 lb heavy bag???? c'mon, ive never seen a 400lb bag.

Post #2   3/23/12 1:40:52PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
lol ok

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   3/23/12 2:07:16PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
PICS OR DIDN'T HAPPEN

Post #4   3/23/12 2:25:06PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,024-1,196
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I call BS

Post #5   3/23/12 3:20:54PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I've definitely seen a video of bruce lee sending a 100-150 lbs bag to the cieling with a side kick. 400 lbs is a bit much for that to happen, though if it somehow did, i think it's quite plausible to break a structure thats holding it up, since whatever is holding it up probably isn't suited to handle a 400 pound weight free falling a distance of a couple of feet.

Psi isn't as important to this type of feat as the push behind the strike. Mike tyson has footage of him hitting giant 300-400lbs bags and though he beats the shit out of it, it's not flying up. But a Sumo wrestler could probably push it up. So i don't really think PSI is attributable to this type of thing, though clearly its better for putting someone out.

I'm sure there are lots of people out there that saw Bruce Lee do some crazy shit, and then exaggerate it. It's the nature of people to embellish.

Post #6   3/23/12 6:06:53PM   

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
I think maybe this is the 300lb bag that Bruce used to train his kicks.

Last edited 3/23/12 10:00PM server time by Lolok
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   3/23/12 9:57:34PM   

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
Well, 500 pound bag does exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VkRSaS_J5E

Post #8   3/23/12 10:02:15PM   

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I've definitely seen a video of bruce lee sending a 100-150 lbs bag to the cieling with a side kick. 400 lbs is a bit much for that to happen, though if it somehow did, i think it's quite plausible to break a structure thats holding it up, since whatever is holding it up probably isn't suited to handle a 400 pound weight free falling a distance of a couple of feet.

Psi isn't as important to this type of feat as the push behind the strike. Mike tyson has footage of him hitting giant 300-400lbs bags and though he beats the shit out of it, it's not flying up. But a Sumo wrestler could probably push it up. So i don't really think PSI is attributable to this type of thing, though clearly its better for putting someone out.

I'm sure there are lots of people out there that saw Bruce Lee do some crazy shit, and then exaggerate it. It's the nature of people to embellish.

You said it's quite plausible to break a structure thats hold the heavy bag. So, if Tyson really manage want to destroy a whole garage, house or any building structure by punching a 300-400 pound bag up to the ceiling, then it is possible. Really?

Post #9   3/23/12 10:09:23PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,790-1,542
Chips:

It's basic physics. Force = mass x acceleration. Basically a fired bullet can have the same force as a locomotive...assuming it is moving slow enough. Now it's been a few years since I've taken a physics class, but the acceleration needed from a 135 pound man to move a 400 pound object from rest (presumably) to that height would be astronomical. There are several factors to consider though. It would be beneficial of the kicker to have a running start and to use more of a pushing motion rather than a snapping kick. Also, the bag acts as a pendulum, so we are also talking about torque here as well...and since a kick is generally mostly a forward motion, that is technically a drawback for something like a heavy bag. I know Bruce Lee is no stranger to physics as he has amazed many people with his 1-inch punch, but this is just a matter of numbers. If both the kicker and bag are at or near rest, good luck with that.

Post #10   3/24/12 12:01:38AM   

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

It's basic physics. Force = mass x acceleration. Basically a fired bullet can have the same force as a locomotive...assuming it is moving slow enough. Now it's been a few years since I've taken a physics class, but the acceleration needed from a 135 pound man to move a 400 pound object from rest (presumably) to that height would be astronomical. There are several factors to consider though. It would be beneficial of the kicker to have a running start and to use more of a pushing motion rather than a snapping kick. Also, the bag acts as a pendulum, so we are also talking about torque here as well...and since a kick is generally mostly a forward motion, that is technically a drawback for something like a heavy bag. I know Bruce Lee is no stranger to physics as he has amazed many people with his 1-inch punch, but this is just a matter of numbers. If both the kicker and bag are at or near rest, good luck with that.

So it is possible for a HW boxer to make a 400lb bag flying into and thump the ceiling with a single punch?

Post #11   3/24/12 12:42:10AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Lolok
So it is possible for a HW boxer to make a 400lb bag flying into and thump the ceiling with a single punch?

not a chance in hell, but send an e-mail to the guys at Mythbusters so they can prove you wrong.

on a side note, I once heard that Zinedine Zidane knocked over a cow with a headbutt

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   3/24/12 1:05:40AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Chips:

Posted by Lolok

Posted by Pookie

You said it's quite plausible to break a structure thats hold the heavy bag. So, if Tyson really manage want to destroy a whole garage, house or any building structure by punching a 300-400 pound bag up to the ceiling, then it is possible. Really?

If the metal structure that slides the garage door isn't meant to have weight on it, and there is weight on it, you could conceivably ruin the whole structure just by damaging that. And it wouldn't be hard to damage that if it's not supposed to support that type of weight in the first place.

Post #13   3/24/12 1:12:27AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,790-1,542
Chips:

Posted by Lolok

Posted by grappler0000

Well, first off, a punch isn't gonna generate the same force as a well placed kick (relative to the size of the individual, assuming they are equally proficient with kicking and punching). TBH, I can't see it happening regardless of how large the person is or which limb they are throwing a strike with. The larger and more powerful the person, the less speed they will possess. At a certain point, it's a matter of diminishing returns. Aside from Chuck Norris doing this during a bed-time story, I don't even see someone even coming close. Making a 400 pound bag move is one thing, but making it touch the ceiling is nothing shy of silly talk.

Post #14   3/24/12 10:36:36AM   

Lolok

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Lolok

not a chance in hell, but send an e-mail to the guys at Mythbusters so they can prove you wrong.

on a side note, I once heard that Zinedine Zidane knocked over a cow with a headbutt

Wow, that's incredible.

Post #15   3/24/12 11:17:33AM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>