Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fox TV UFC Producers Told Joe Rogan To Tone It Down

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC announcer Joe Rogan took to his podcast to vent some frustration with the Fox TV brass who produce the UFC. Apparently the execs told Rogan to "tone it down." This didn't sit well with the enthusiastic announcer who's been working the mic for the UFC since 1997.

Here's what he had to say on his podcast:

Link

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #1   3/23/12 1:56:52AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Joe Rogan has a pretty great technical knowledge of MMA. Listening to him and other commentators helped me learn about the sport of MMA, and more specifically BJJ. Having said that, while I don't know that he should change his delivery, I feel he and Goldie have been getting progressively sloppy over the years. It seems they can go on for 30 seconds to a minute sometimes, maybe more, talking about things unrelated to the fight.

Mostly, Joe will ramble on about someone's credentials and who they train with and not call the fight. I find that very annoying. Even more so now that they do the occasional radio broadcasts. I have listened to them while at work, and they fucking suck something fierce. You are just listening to story time while you hear a crowd and you know a fight is going on.

Listening to Rogan scream "UNBELIEVABLE!" after every finish is getting pretty old to me too. That's not a catch phrase, that's just repetition. Call the match Joe. I'll catch your podcast to hear you blow hard later.

Jon Anik better get his shit together as well, imo. He's called a lot of UFC cards, and the TUF Live fights now, and he still seems kind of awkward and unnatural. Maybe I am just biased. Ever since he picked Feijao to KO Hendo on MMA Live he got taken down a couple pegs in my book.

I think Anik needs to host UFC Tonight. The ability to tape is his friend. Todd Harris should then take over Anik's play by play duties. I think Harris is a pretty damn good play by play guy, in MMA and lots of other sports. He calls a wide variety of stuff, and in my opinion he does it all impressively well, especially considering the range he covers

Post #2   3/23/12 7:39:45AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,185-1,229
Chips:
It does seem important to note that they only asked him to tone it down once, and it was on the first FOX broadcast. I really hope they don't push that kind of thing on Rogan or on other aspects of the production.

I agree with a good bit of what P$ said too, Anik's voice lacks character (and balls). It sounds weak, he's not compelling, almost slick and polished.

Post #3   3/23/12 9:10:18AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,135-1,252
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I actually think Anik's coming along well and the more he does, the better he's going to get.

Post #4   3/23/12 9:59:33AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Chips:
I'm enjoying the FOX deal thus far but I don't want em to have too much say so. The UFC has been doing great in these last few years, just let em do their thing.

Post #5   3/23/12 12:33:08PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Post #6   3/23/12 12:33:28PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Chips:
It's funny. I have grown accustomed to Rogan's style of commentating. But once in a while my wife will walk in the mancave while I am watching fights and ask me why I am watching the guy from Fear Factor scream into a mic, and I realize how off-putting Rogan could be to someone who isn't used to him and knows him only from the TV show.

I got no problem with him yelling during fights because I think it does add some excitement for people, but he could cool his jets on the pre-fight and between fight hollering and I would be cool with it.

Post #7   3/23/12 12:34:47PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,864-1,269
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
FOX is crazy, Joe Rogan is the man!!!!!!!!!

Post #8   3/23/12 1:26:29PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
the only problem I have with Rogan is when he hugs the nuts of a certain fighter during the fight. It happens on occasion and it kind of pisses me off.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   3/23/12 1:28:59PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
The only time I can remember where I felt like Rogan needed to relax a bit was when Boetsch knocked out Okami. He went fucking crazy after that. Like Rabid dog fucking crazy. I wouldn't have been surprised if he turned and decked Goldberg right then and there. Other than that I've found his intensity to be perfect for watching. I want my mma announcers to be loud and excited. It's a loud and exciting sport, at least imo. I want the intensity with my broadcasts that I get from Rogan and Schivello and even Bas. I don't want boring announcers.

Post #10   3/23/12 1:31:55PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Jimmy Smith >>>>> Mr Fear Factor

Post #11   3/23/12 1:58:26PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Joe Rogan is the best MMA commentator there ever has been and ever will be. The guys at FOX have no clue. They need to get off his back. The UFC without Rogan would be pretty lame...as a matter of fact whenever he isn't there....it just isn't the same. Let him be. Messing with him is potentially disastrous for the UFC and any channel the UFC is on.

Post #12   3/23/12 2:13:26PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Joe Rogan has a pretty great technical knowledge of MMA. Listening to him and other commentators helped me learn about the sport of MMA, and more specifically BJJ. Having said that, while I don't know that he should change his delivery, I feel he and Goldie have been getting progressively sloppy over the years. It seems they can go on for 30 seconds to a minute sometimes, maybe more, talking about things unrelated to the fight.

Mostly, Joe will ramble on about someone's credentials and who they train with and not call the fight. I find that very annoying. Even more so now that they do the occasional radio broadcasts. I have listened to them while at work, and they fucking suck something fierce. You are just listening to story time while you hear a crowd and you know a fight is going on.

Listening to Rogan scream "UNBELIEVABLE!" after every finish is getting pretty old to me too. That's not a catch phrase, that's just repetition. Call the match Joe. I'll catch your podcast to hear you blow hard later.

Jon Anik better get his shit together as well, imo. He's called a lot of UFC cards, and the TUF Live fights now, and he still seems kind of awkward and unnatural. Maybe I am just biased. Ever since he picked Feijao to KO Hendo on MMA Live he got taken down a couple pegs in my book.

I think Anik needs to host UFC Tonight. The ability to tape is his friend. Todd Harris should then take over Anik's play by play duties. I think Harris is a pretty damn good play by play guy, in MMA and lots of other sports. He calls a wide variety of stuff, and in my opinion he does it all impressively well, especially considering the range he covers

Mike Goldberg & Jon Anik are really annoying IMO. You can't have Anik and Florian calling fights together... they sound the freakin' same to me. I can't tell who's talking sometimes.

Now back to Joe Hogan, the only problem I have with him is he seems to be biased towards some fights sometimes, so he might not call everything the other fighter is doing. Other than that, I don't mind it when he rambles on about the fighter's credentials and background or whatever. Sometimes nothings happening in the fight and nothing needs to be said or called. Even though I'm biased and i'm a huge fan of Joe Hogan, he is quick to say things sometimes. Like the time he thought Tim Boetsch had the biggest comeback in UFC history on the broadcast. He later on acknowledged he was hyped and in the moment though.

I respect all the commentators, its hard. But everyone has there own opinion, and i respect yours pmoney, i see what youre saying :)

Post #13   3/23/12 2:33:53PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

The only time I can remember where I felt like Rogan needed to relax a bit was when Boetsch knocked out Okami. He went fucking crazy after that. Like Rabid dog fucking crazy. I wouldn't have been surprised if he turned and decked Goldberg right then and there. Other than that I've found his intensity to be perfect for watching. I want my mma announcers to be loud and excited. It's a loud and exciting sport, at least imo. I want the intensity with my broadcasts that I get from Rogan and Schivello and even Bas. I don't want boring announcers.

how can you forget this?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   3/23/12 2:37:17PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Jimmy Smith >>>>> Mr Fear Factor

I don't agree but Jimmy Smith is definitely one of the better commentators out there.

Post #15   3/23/12 2:38:07PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>