Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is There Enough Talent for Ronda Rousey to Establish a Legacy in Women’s MMA?

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Strikeforce recently put on one of, if not thee, biggest women’s fight in mixed martial arts history.

And this was under the ownership of Zuffa, the same company that owns the UFC. The same company that is run by Dana White, who has gone on record saying there are not enough talented fighters on the women’s side of the sport for him to consider putting a division in the UFC.

The question now, after such a smashing success of a fight between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey, of course, is, “When are we gonna see women’s MMA in the UFC?”

Link

Post #1   3/18/12 4:56:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
In all honestly, I saw enough of Ronda to know that she is a great talent, but she has a lot of work to do before she establishes a legacy. So far she is a one-trick pony. She has a very good trick, but everyone knows that will only take her so far. Her stand-up is absolute crap and I have zero doubt that those arm-bars are going to be a bit tricky to pull off against a high level BJJ black belt.

Also, she's naturally a bigger woman and there is ZERO chance that she is going to beat Cyborg or muscle her around.

I like Rousey, I think she is a great talent, but she's only had 5 fights. Let's stop anointing people in MMA.

Post #2   3/18/12 5:10:33PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think ronda is a badass but i think cyborg will smash her on the feet and not let it go to the ground. with such a small number of elite female athletes in MMA she will have to fight cyborg and smash her or arm lock her. if ronda couldnt have gotten tate to the ground i think she would have lost. i know ronda landed more punches in the fight but tate's standup looked significantly better IMO. i remember seeing misha land some punches on ronda i said "ronda better get this shit to the ground or shes gonna get knocked out".

Post #3   3/18/12 5:25:54PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i see no reason to be worried about a fighter's legacy when they are 5-0

Post #4   3/18/12 6:27:09PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The real question.....is there enough pretty faces in women's MMA to keep things interesting to establish a legacy???

Post #5   3/18/12 6:34:06PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The question really should be "Is there enough talent for anyone to establish a legacy in Women's MMA?".

Ronda clearly has alot more work to put in before she has a strong "legacy". But, regardless of competition, if someone is successful enough... i think they will have a legacy. It's just the legacy will come with an asterisk if the competition isn't up to par.

Post #6   3/18/12 11:39:58PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Sick of this crap that there's not enough girls when they bring in Flyweight...Flyweight is barely established as it is and zuffa brought them in. No offense to the Fly's and Bantam's but there are girls who can headline big shows unlike them who will struggle to headline fight night shows

You cant say that Flyweights will be major draws or headline big shows. Who would you possibly headline? Benavidez? maybe because he is the only flyweight who can finish a fight and unless a big name like Cruz drops to fight him I dont see flyweight doing anything significant.

Flyweight is a pointless dead end division and zuffa should've added Cruiserweight (230lb division) if they were going to add another guys division, start the trend, who cares if no other org has it, you build it they will come, the gap is too large from the two heavyweight's. The Women's bantamweight division is the most stacked of the girls divisions and the welterweight division can either be added too or merge them to make a 140 lb girls class in the UFC.

There's a huge fanbase that are girls that really enjoy watching WMMA (and among us guys too). Most of the women I've talked that are fans enjoy watching Cyborg, Carano and Rousey more than any of the guys. Did you hear those women screaming for Gina during her beating at the hands of Cyborg, the arena reeked of estrogen and brittney spears perfume. My g/f for example

Post #7   3/19/12 8:50:24AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
yes there is if she fights at both 135 and 145

I agree with Cooler about the flyweight division in comparison to the women's divisions

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   3/19/12 1:23:50PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Chips:
I think it's like the early days of UFC/MMA in a sense...there's talent, but there's a gap at the top of the food chain. So you get these fighters that have an advanced skill set and they dominate for a while until the talent pool catches up. If there is a legacy to be established, maybe it's that she broke new ground in the sport and was dominant for a while.

Post #9   3/20/12 11:40:21AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

In all honestly, I saw enough of Ronda to know that she is a great talent, but she has a lot of work to do before she establishes a legacy. So far she is a one-trick pony. She has a very good trick, but everyone knows that will only take her so far. Her stand-up is absolute crap and I have zero doubt that those arm-bars are going to be a bit tricky to pull off against a high level BJJ black belt.

Also, she's naturally a bigger woman and there is ZERO chance that she is going to beat Cyborg or muscle her around.

I like Rousey, I think she is a great talent, but she's only had 5 fights. Let's stop anointing people in MMA.

I think that's an unfair assessment of her being a one-trick pony. First of all, there are at least two tricks involved in her success so far: takedowns and submission skills. A one-trick pony to me is someone like McKenzie, who only has the guillotine and his success is contingent on what his opponent does, whereas Ronda can clinch, throw her opponent to the ground and go from there. I'm sure she can work ground and pound, but why not go for an armbar.

It's way too early to talk about a legacy, but at the same time it's also unfair to call her a one-trick pony when that's all she's had to do to win a fight. I'm sure she has other submissions in her arsenal and also some ground and pound, but when you're THAT good at armbarring someone, why not use that first?

Also the women's talent pool isn't exposed enough to be considered deep, so therefore there isn't enough for her to establish a legacy yet. Give it a few years.

Post #10   3/20/12 11:53:03AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think that's an unfair assessment of her being a one-trick pony. First of all, there are at least two tricks involved in her success so far: takedowns and submission skills. A one-trick pony to me is someone like McKenzie, who only has the guillotine and his success is contingent on what his opponent does, whereas Ronda can clinch, throw her opponent to the ground and go from there. I'm sure she can work ground and pound, but why not go for an armbar.

It's way too early to talk about a legacy, but at the same time it's also unfair to call her a one-trick pony when that's all she's had to do to win a fight. I'm sure she has other submissions in her arsenal and also some ground and pound, but when you're THAT good at armbarring someone, why not use that first?

Also the women's talent pool isn't exposed enough to be considered deep, so therefore there isn't enough for her to establish a legacy yet. Give it a few years.

Agreed on all accounts.

Post #11   3/20/12 12:22:14PM