Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Following NSAC challenge, lawyer says UFC's Nick Diaz didn't lie about marijuana RX

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
A lawyer representing Nick Diaz said the Nevada Attorney General's office made a "very offensive" and "ridiculous" statement when Diaz was accused of lying on a pre-fight medical questionnaire prior to his fight with Carlos Condit at UFC 143.

Las Vegas-based lawyer Ross Goodman contends that Diaz's medical-marijuana card doesn't constitute a prescription.

So, he said, the fighter wasn't lying when he checked "no" on the part of the questionnaire asking whether he had taken or received any prescribed medications two weeks prior to his fight.

"The fact that they're falling back now on this is significant because you would think they would respond to the stuff that we argued in the response, which I think is basically irrefutable," Goodman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Goodman on March 7 responded to a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz that was issued Feb. 8 when a post-fight drug test revealed the presence of marijuana metabolites. Diaz (27-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) lost a unanimous decision to Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 143, which took place Feb. 4 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He subsequently said he he was retiring from competition after the pay-per-view event.

For now, Diaz is temporarily suspended pending a hearing scheduled for next month in Las Vegas, where he'll appear to face a possible yearlong suspension and fines. He also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.

Rule 467.850 of the NSAC's administrative code bars the use of illicit substances such as performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The commission also recognizes a list of substances prohibited in and out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, or WADA...

Full Story

Post #1   3/16/12 12:07:16AM   

RustyRedWood206

Learning to Sprawl

Career:11-7
Chips:
DAMNNNNN..... smoke me out nick

Post #2   3/16/12 12:53:54AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,439-1,253
Chips:
I don't like how even major MMA websites say "he also tested positive for marijuana in a 2007 fight with Takanori Gomi". He did NOT test positive for marijuana against Condit. This is bush league. Are there any MMA journalists that do any research? If so point me to that website, so I can stop frequenting poorly written articles.

He also, as I never even thought of, did not lie on the questionnaire as he was not prescribed marijuana for his ADHD as that is illegal for a doctor to do even in the 16 states it is legal in. A doctor can only recommend it as an option. No lies on the questionnaire, and no positive test for a banned substance.

Last edited 3/16/12 1:59AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   3/16/12 1:48:37AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,220-1,250
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I haven't followed it anywhere as closely as you Kpro, but did he not test positive for anything or are you differentiating between testing positive for Marijuana and testing positive for MJ Metabolites?

Post #4   3/16/12 3:01:02AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Weed isnt a performance enhancer lol. It's like when they took that Canadian guy's gold medal in the ski comp cause he tested positive for cheeb

Post #5   3/16/12 3:12:53AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,439-1,253
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I haven't followed it anywhere as closely as you Kpro, but did he not test positive for anything or are you differentiating between testing positive for Marijuana and testing positive for MJ Metabolites?

WADA and the NSAC both allow out of competition usage of marijuana and secondary metabolites of THC are not a positive drug test. As of now, nothing has been released saying he was over the 50 threshold which I would assume guarantees he wasn't at this point, as the NSAC would've revealed it in the legal exchanges. Huge difference between a positive THC test and a positive test for THC metabolites since one is illegal and one isn't.

Post #6   3/16/12 5:07:38AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I don't like how even major MMA websites say "he also tested positive for marijuana in a 2007 fight with Takanori Gomi". He did NOT test positive for marijuana against Condit. This is bush league. Are there any MMA journalists that do any research? If so point me to that website, so I can stop frequenting poorly written articles.

He also, as I never even thought of, did not lie on the questionnaire as he was not prescribed marijuana for his ADHD as that is illegal for a doctor to do even in the 16 states it is legal in. A doctor can only recommend it as an option. No lies on the questionnaire, and no positive test for a banned substance.

If it's not prescribed in some form, than I'd imagine any person could walk into a dispensary and request pot. It might not be on an Rx pad, but it's still prescribed.

Post #7   3/16/12 7:42:46AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

If it's not prescribed in some form, than I'd imagine any person could walk into a dispensary and request pot. It might not be on an Rx pad, but it's still prescribed.

Think of it like getting a driver's license. Nobody is instructing you to drive...they are affording you the right to do so.

Post #8   3/16/12 11:55:39AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

Think of it like getting a driver's license. Nobody is instructing you to drive...they are affording you the right to do so.

I dunno man, it seems like there's some hair splitting going on in the Diaz camp.

Post #9   3/16/12 8:18:15PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
FREE NICK!

Post #10   3/16/12 8:51:55PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

I dunno man, it seems like there's some hair splitting going on in the Diaz camp.

We're not just talking about having a convo with the boys, which I agree would be splitting hairs. We're talking about legal paperwork, where the meaning of a word and its legal interpretation is very important and cannot be overlooked.

Post #11   3/16/12 10:51:30PM