Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jorge Masvidal on Gilbert Melendez rematch: 'I been robbed more than your local 7-11'

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,730-1,505
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Jorge Masvidal is coming off a loss to Gilbert Melendez in a fight where the scorecards did not tell the entire story. The Cuban-American did plenty of damage to the reigning Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and the fight was competitive for all five rounds. but he couldn't quite do enough to win more than one of them.

The outcome could have been different had Masvidal not fought with a broken hand, an injury he exacerbated in the opening round, forcing him to stick to a jab-dependent offense for much of the remainder of the fight. There is no shame in losing to a top five lightweight like Melendez and the fact that Masvidal was even headlining a Strikeforce card shows how far his career has come.

He started out a long way from arenas complete with television crews and large crowds. His first taste of fighting was in backyards in Miami where famously he took on one of Kimbo Slice's protegees in a video which is still available on YouTube.

Masvidal says he much prefers fighting on sanctioned shows and is not sure how much his street fighting experience has helped him as a fighter.

'I don't know if it helped develop me as a fighter but it definitely makes you wanna win. It's nice to fight people your own weight and get paid good though. You mighta seen my street fights on youtube, it just went from there. I just like to fight, if i can get paid for it and make a living then that's good."

Link

Post #1   3/15/12 11:17:34AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,759-1,586
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Robbed? I might not remember this correctly but I thought he convincingly lost that fight and there was no hint of controversy.

Post #2   3/15/12 11:40:26AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,730-1,505
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
There has been a couple fights where I believe Masvidal got the short end of the stick, but the Melendez fight is not one of them!!!!

Post #3   3/15/12 12:35:37PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,434-1,251
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Masvidal never opened up at all in that fight, Gil never let him get comfortable, and if he broke his hand in the first that was part of it too. I had Melendez taking all 5 and if I remember right the only burst Masvidal even showed was a short striking sequence in the final round. He got worked over.

Post #4   3/15/12 1:59:46PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
uhh there is no way he beat Melendez...even Cecil Peoples knows that

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   3/15/12 2:00:00PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,735-915
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Robbed? I might not remember this correctly but I thought he convincingly lost that fight and there was no hint of controversy.

As I have come to expect, you have it down.

Post #6   3/15/12 9:08:04PM