Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Best Fighter Outside the UFC: Pat Curran?

Print  
Who's the best fighter outside the UFC?
Pat Curran 8 38%
Gilbert Milendez 13 62%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Story

No disrespect to Gilbert Melendez, Nate Marquardt, Gegard Mousasi, or the plethora of world class mixed martial arts talent fighting overseas.

Pat Curran is the best fighter not currently in the UFC.

The 24-year-old became the Bellator featherweight champion Friday after a destruction of Joe Warren.

Curran (17-4) knocked Warren out with a barrage of punches that followed a flush knee to the jaw in the third round of the main event at Bellator 60.

Warren is considered one of the best wrestlers in the sport, but Curran defended his takedown attempts with ease. The few times he was taken down he showed great hip escapes and scrambled back to his feet quickly, reminiscent of UFC champions Junior dos Santos and Benson Henderson.

Much like former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, Warren is also known for being able to take a world of punishment and keep moving forward, but Curran certainly stopped him in his tracks.

Post #1   3/14/12 6:32:00PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
I agree with the author.

I'd love to see Pat in the UFC against Aldo.

Post #2   3/14/12 6:33:43PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's definitely a good case for Paddy Mike being the best fighter outside the UFC. He is a fantastic talent, imo, at Lightweight as well as Featherweight.

Post #3   3/14/12 6:44:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I picked Melendez as he has beaten...more so dominated...virtually all of the top fighters outside the UFC (except for Alvarez and Chandler). Aoki was universally top 3 before that lopsided decision. Kawajiri was very highly regarded (#7-10 on almost every site) until he blasted through him. He has beaten strikers at their own game and has solid wrestling.

Curran is on a great run at FW, but the Bellator FW division imo isnt as good as the SF LW division.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   3/14/12 8:38:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I picked Melendez as he has beaten...more so dominated...virtually all of the top fighters outside the UFC (except for Alvarez and Chandler). Aoki was universally top 3 before that lopsided decision. Kawajiri was very highly regarded (#7-10 on almost every site) until he blasted through him. He has beaten strikers at their own game and has solid wrestling.

Curran is on a great run at FW, but the Bellator FW division imo isnt as good as the SF LW division.

That said...

I'd pick Pat in a fight between those two.

Post #5   3/14/12 8:57:44PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I also picked Melendez and would absolutely pick Melendez in a fight between the two.

Post #6   3/15/12 12:02:41AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I picked Melendez, but a case could be made for Curran at this point. It seems to me that Curran is just now coming into his own and becoming a top fighter whereas Gil has been there awhile. It might not be long before I change my mind on this one.

Post #7   3/15/12 10:15:20AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

That said...

You want explain why you would make that pick?

Post #8   3/15/12 10:44:05AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605 Warren is considered one of the best wrestlers in the sport, but Curran defended his takedown attempts with ease. The few times he was taken down he showed great hip escapes and scrambled back to his feet quickly, reminiscent of UFC champions Junior dos Santos and Benson Henderson.

I wouldn't say he did it with ease. Also you have to consider Warren weighed in at 145lbs with a title belt and suit on.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   3/15/12 10:56:00AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

That said...

You want explain why you would make that pick?

I think Pat has got more diverse striking and more power. I don't think Gil would be able to handle him on the feet and I don't think Gil could get him down.

I could see Gil picking him apart, maybe. But the more likely scenario for me would be Pat using some sprawl and brawl and landing the harder shots.

Post #10   3/15/12 8:15:23PM