Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Demian Maia Moving to Welterweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605
Totally agree.

I was going to agree with Bubles but then he had to go and add that bit about the striking.

Maia needs to worry LESS about striking and wrestling right now.

BJJ got him to the big time and made him the title contender.

If he wants to continue that success he needs to go back to BJJ. I would even recommend taking some time off to do straight jiu jitsu competitions.

If he doesn't attempt to improve on his striking, then how is he going to beat the glut of wrestlers in that division? He won't be able to take them down, and most of them are really good top position grapplers. He needs to focus 80% of his training back to BJJ - that is his bread and butter - but if he cant take his opponent down, how in the hell is he going to win? Any smart wrestler at WW will play sprawl and brawl against Maia

Also, I think it is in the UFC contract that fighters cannot compete in outside tournaments. I believe this was one of the reasons why Fedor went to SF over the UFC as he still wanted to compete in Sambo tournaments. Werdum and Gonzaga didn't compete in any BJJ tournaments while under contract either

I was under the impression that the issue with Fedor was that he wanted to compete in Sambo.

Sambo is actually very similar to MMA. BJJ is vastly different.

You might be right though. I don't know enough about their contracts to say.

It would be ridiculous if true however. You don't get paid for jiu jitsu (amlost all of the time), its almost never televised, and it's not a big spectator sport. The two aren't really in competition.

I don't know why the UFC wouldn't want their fighters to stay sharp.

Post #16   3/14/12 8:00:32PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Nick Diaz vs. Demian Maia anyone? That's a fight at WW I'd love to see

Diaz would bust Maia's face up, there would be no grappling battle at all (sadly)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #17   3/14/12 8:50:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605
I was under the impression that the issue with Fedor was that he wanted to compete in Sambo.

It would be ridiculous if true however. You don't get paid for jiu jitsu (amlost all of the time), its almost never televised, and it's not a big spectator sport. The two aren't really in competition.

I'm almost positive that was one of the many issues with why Dana and Fedor never could agree to terms. I have heard in the past that out of UFC competition is prohibited when you sign a UFC contract and I doubt it has changed.

I dont think it has to do with credentials or pay but rather they could suffer injuries which would prevent them from fighting. I don't know how many major injuries occur in grappling tournaments, but I assume its a risk they dont want to take. Also, it wouldn't be fair for strikers who want to compete in kickboxing tournaments for example. Why should Maia be allowed to compete in the ADCC while Pat Barry can't compete in K-1? It isn't fair, so to prevent legal issues about fairness and whatnot, just say no to all non-UFC competition.

The only case I have heard where a fighter was able to compete elsewhere is that one fighter who missed like a year due to injury got written permission to fight in a smaller promotion to get back into fight shape. IIRC he then had some brain issue and was cut from the UFC...I can't remember his name but it was semi recent

Last edited 3/14/12 9:00PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   3/14/12 8:59:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605
Totally agree.

I was going to agree with Bubles but then he had to go and add that bit about the striking.

If he wants to continue that success he needs to go back to BJJ. I would even recommend taking some time off to do straight jiu jitsu competitions.

If he doesn't attempt to improve on his striking, then how is he going to beat the glut of wrestlers in that division? He won't be able to take them down, and most of them are really good top position grapplers. He needs to focus 80% of his training back to BJJ - that is his bread and butter - but if he cant take his opponent down, how in the hell is he going to win? Any smart wrestler at WW will play sprawl and brawl against Maia

Also, I think it is in the UFC contract that fighters cannot compete in outside tournaments. I believe this was one of the reasons why Fedor went to SF over the UFC as he still wanted to compete in Sambo tournaments. Werdum and Gonzaga didn't compete in any BJJ tournaments while under contract either

I think UFC fighters can compete in BJJ and ADCC. I think it was specifically the Sambo tourney?

Post #19   3/14/12 9:26:48PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

I'm almost positive that was one of the many issues with why Dana and Fedor never could agree to terms. I have heard in the past that out of UFC competition is prohibited when you sign a UFC contract and I doubt it has changed.

I dont think it has to do with credentials or pay but rather they could suffer injuries which would prevent them from fighting. I don't know how many major injuries occur in grappling tournaments, but I assume its a risk they dont want to take. Also, it wouldn't be fair for strikers who want to compete in kickboxing tournaments for example. Why should Maia be allowed to compete in the ADCC while Pat Barry can't compete in K-1? It isn't fair, so to prevent legal issues about fairness and whatnot, just say no to all non-UFC competition.

The only case I have heard where a fighter was able to compete elsewhere is that one fighter who missed like a year due to injury got written permission to fight in a smaller promotion to get back into fight shape. IIRC he then had some brain issue and was cut from the UFC...I can't remember his name but it was semi recent

Didn't Rousimar Palhares just compete in a BJJ competition or ADCC sometime last year? I seem to recall reading something about Palhares performing some form of shenanigans in a competition last year and causing some form of controversy. I also seem to recall reading about him wreaking havoc on peoples legs in the aforementioned competition. I could be wrong though, so I wouldn't really quote me on that.

Post #20   3/15/12 5:40:46AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Didn't Rousimar Palhares just compete in a BJJ competition or ADCC sometime last year? I seem to recall reading something about Palhares performing some form of shenanigans in a competition last year and causing some form of controversy. I also seem to recall reading about him wreaking havoc on peoples legs in the aforementioned competition. I could be wrong though, so I wouldn't really quote me on that.

This is correct. Also, Benderson was just in a BJJ tourney and I think made it to finals for brown belt or maybe brown belt absolute. I really don't think they are prevented from these tournys, and in some cases they are fan expos (see Diego Sanchez vs the 50/50 guy in no gi).

Post #21   3/15/12 9:39:07AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605
Totally agree.

I think UFC fighters can compete in BJJ and ADCC. I think it was specifically the Sambo tourney?

Yes. Combat Sambo includes striking. That would be a bit different than a grappling tourny.

Post #22   3/15/12 12:06:36PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by warglory

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605
Totally agree.

Yes. Combat Sambo includes striking. That would be a bit different than a grappling tourny.

Give it time. All it takes is one of the top guys getting injured. Eventually, contracts will prohibit BJJ tourneys as well.

Post #23   3/15/12 12:12:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
If that's the case then I stand corrected

Post #24   3/15/12 2:05:22PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Give it time. All it takes is one of the top guys getting injured. Eventually, contracts will prohibit BJJ tourneys as well.

Or wait for one of these BJJ tournaments to get a broadcast TV deal or PPV numbers that rival the UFC's.

That would also put an end to UFC fighters taking part.

Post #25   3/15/12 2:36:19PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I think this is a huge mistake honestly. He already cuts to make MW and his cardio issue isn't going to be sorted out like this. His issue is that he's so in love with his standup at this point that he doesn't bother with a ground game.

Props cause i havent seen a post from you in forever

Post #26   3/16/12 2:57:19AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
horrible idea, just use your damn jiu jitsu more

Post #27   3/17/12 3:08:57AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
Maia's strategy has been work on his striking game heavily without modifying his tactics to avoid the takedown, and if someone chooses to take him down... perfect.

At WW, that's going to be way more effective against the top tier than it is at MW. Way more wrestlers with holes in their stand-up games. Koscheck for instance, would be the perfect example of a fight that Maia's strategy will work wonders whereever the fight goes.

Post #28   3/17/12 3:20:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Maia's strategy has been work on his striking game heavily without modifying his tactics to avoid the takedown, and if someone chooses to take him down... perfect.

At WW, that's going to be way more effective against the top tier than it is at MW. Way more wrestlers with holes in their stand-up games. Koscheck for instance, would be the perfect example of a fight that Maia's strategy will work wonders whereever the fight goes.

Koscheck would knock Maia out

Post #29   3/17/12 5:05:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Pookie

Koscheck would knock Maia out

I dont know, if matt hughes can jab you to death with faded reflexes, i'll take the guy that outstruck Mark Munoz to outstrike you.

Post #30   3/17/12 8:47:42PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3