Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jose Aldo vs Anthony Pettis? 'Showtime' considering a drop to featherweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,893-1,085
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Is it just me or is taking a title fight against Aldo on your first time dropping to FW a horrendously bad idea? Wouldn't a tune up fight to see how he handles the cut be more sensible than jumping into the lion's den with such questions unanswered?

Don't get me wrong, I love the fight but I don't want to see it ruined by having one of them handicapped.

Post #16   3/14/12 6:44:27AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,565-951
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

Is it just me or is taking a title fight against Aldo on your first time dropping to FW a horrendously bad idea? Wouldn't a tune up fight to see how he handles the cut be more sensible than jumping into the lion's den with such questions unanswered?

Don't get me wrong, I love the fight but I don't want to see it ruined by having one of them handicapped.

You have new and refreshing ideas sir. How about Pettis-Hioki?

That's a great #1 contenders bout, imo. Or if Hioki were to get the next shot, Pettis could fight the winner of KZ-Poirier. Either of those fights would also be sick.

Then again, Pettis sticking to LW is good with me. He's probably in the same mind set as Frankie Edgar and feels there is unfinished business in that division.

Post #17   3/14/12 7:54:56AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,075-626
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by VILLIN

That's a great #1 contenders bout, imo. Or if Hioki were to get the next shot, Pettis could fight the winner of KZ-Poirier. Either of those fights would also be sick.

Then again, Pettis sticking to LW is good with me. He's probably in the same mind set as Frankie Edgar and feels there is unfinished business in that division.

And other than those matchups, who else could he fight that wouldn't make people cry afoul of him getting the title shot so fast? The thing with him fighting Hioki is that Aldo wouldn't be fighting for a long time unless they give Aldo the winner of KZ-DP(lolz), so really he would be dropping weight in order to get a title shot, but first have to prove he deserves to have it by beating a contender. Almost defeats the purpose of the move altogether.

Post #18   3/14/12 9:07:32AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You're fucking kidding, right? He was the champ when the UFC merged with WEC and had to ride the pine once before. He lost an unfortunate and somewhat controversial decision to Guida and then bounced back in spectacular fashion.

Now Uncle Dana is telling him he will have to wait again. While Aldo and Cruz were simply awarded their belts, Pettis was caught in an unfortunate situation that hasn't changed in over a year and a half. Hell, even if he had beat Guida he wouldn't have gotten a title shot. Maynard sort of screwed that whole thing up.

Pettis wants a title and has proven everything he possibly can at the UFC LW division short of a rematch with Bendo and he's being told that he won't get it because Edgar, who is a more natural FW, refuses to accept a loss.

Pettis said "fuck it" and is willing to take what Dana offered to Frankie. I fail to see how that's "not proving his spot." If anything, Pettis is proving more by taking on a fighter that appears unbeatable at FW as opposed to someone that he already beat for a title at LW. (Which, by the way, he never got to defend).

Pettis is the only person to ever come over from a bought out property that didn't receive a title unification bout.

I'd say he's making the smart move. But yeah, we can go with your comment too.

He had every right to wait until Maynard/Edgar was resolved, but he took a fight with Guida and lost. Then he comes back and barely beat Stephens (arguably lost) and then KO'd Lauzon.....beating those 2 guys does not deserve a title shot, regardless if he beat the current champion. That's like saying Forrest Griffin deserved the title shot over Jon Jones vs Shogun because he was on a 2 fight win streak (over Tito and Franklin) and he already had a win over the current champion. Does that make sense? No, and it's the same thing with Pettis

Yes it is unfortunate the Maynard/Edgar trilogy fucked things up for him, but he isnt the first to get screwed out of title shots because of timing and other circumstances (Evans and Condit come to mind) and he wont be the last.

Have him fight Maynard, Florian (if he ever comes back), Sherk, Melendez, Penn, Tibau, Tavares....all guys who are top 10 or on the cusp of it in which a win over them will give him a much stronger case to get a title shot. IMO Miller/Diaz winner should be next in line but if Pettis wins another fight, I am fine with him rematching with Bendo or fighting Edgar for the title

why should Edgar get fucked over in a close title fight where the majority thinks he lost while he had to give Penn a rematch even though the vast majority thought Penn lost? natural FW or not, he is a LW fighter, has been for his career and is right near the top of the division. He has been undersized his entire career, yet has only lost twice (imo once)....I think its time we put an end to saying this.

technically Gomi never got a unification bout either, being the only PRIDE LW champion, but that's just semantics

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #19   3/14/12 11:14:30AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by pmoney

Posted by VILLIN

And other than those matchups, who else could he fight that wouldn't make people cry afoul of him getting the title shot so fast? The thing with him fighting Hioki is that Aldo wouldn't be fighting for a long time unless they give Aldo the winner of KZ-DP(lolz), so really he would be dropping weight in order to get a title shot, but first have to prove he deserves to have it by beating a contender. Almost defeats the purpose of the move altogether.

aka he should take the Florian route

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #20   3/14/12 11:18:51AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by VILLIN

I love the idea of Hioki vs Pettis.

But isn't the whole reason for the drop that he doesn't wanna have to wait anymore??

Still, I don't think its fair for him to leapfrog Hioki at FW when Pettis has yet to fight in that weight class.

Post #21   3/14/12 5:31:03PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Debunked by the man himself.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #22   3/14/12 5:33:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

He had every right to wait until Maynard/Edgar was resolved, but he took a fight with Guida and lost. Then he comes back and barely beat Stephens (arguably lost) and then KO'd Lauzon.....beating those 2 guys does not deserve a title shot, regardless if he beat the current champion. That's like saying Forrest Griffin deserved the title shot over Jon Jones vs Shogun because he was on a 2 fight win streak (over Tito and Franklin) and he already had a win over the current champion. Does that make sense? No, and it's the same thing with Pettis

Yes it is unfortunate the Maynard/Edgar trilogy fucked things up for him, but he isnt the first to get screwed out of title shots because of timing and other circumstances (Evans and Condit come to mind) and he wont be the last.

Have him fight Maynard, Florian (if he ever comes back), Sherk, Melendez, Penn, Tibau, Tavares....all guys who are top 10 or on the cusp of it in which a win over them will give him a much stronger case to get a title shot. IMO Miller/Diaz winner should be next in line but if Pettis wins another fight, I am fine with him rematching with Bendo or fighting Edgar for the title

why should Edgar get fucked over in a close title fight where the majority thinks he lost while he had to give Penn a rematch even though the vast majority thought Penn lost? natural FW or not, he is a LW fighter, has been for his career and is right near the top of the division. He has been undersized his entire career, yet has only lost twice (imo once)....I think its time we put an end to saying this.

technically Gomi never got a unification bout either, being the only PRIDE LW champion, but that's just semantics

Fair points. I am just saying that it sounded like you were saying he was being a whiny bitch about the whole thing and ducking 155 fights by dropping down. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

I just thought that Aldo is a much tougher test than either Edgar or Bendo.

Post #23   3/14/12 7:05:16PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Fair points. I am just saying that it sounded like you were saying he was being a whiny bitch about the whole thing and ducking 155 fights by dropping down. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

I just thought that Aldo is a much tougher test than either Edgar or Bendo.

I understand how that came off now that I reread it, and no that wasn't my intention. Pettis is a gifted fighter who has UFC championship potential, but in my eyes he has to earn it.

Aldo poses different challenges than Edgar and Bendo with him being an elite striker in his division...and striking is Pettis' strength

Post #24   3/14/12 8:11:04PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2