Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Official 2012 MLB Season Thread

Print  
  Page 23 of 24   <<   20     21     22     23     24  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:896-509
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Ordep

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Braves trade Starting Pitcher Tommy Hansen for Angels Reliever Jordan Walden.

Braves had a lot of starters so I knew we would trade one eventually. I don't know anything about him, but his #s def aren't jumping out at me.

Money move in principle but with a good upside. Walden was the Halos primary closer in 2011 but last year he wasn't that great. Anyway, he's ~25 with a really high AVG fastball speed (I believe is around 97). Way better RHP signing than Linebrink, Proctor, or Durbin. He is still in arb year so his cost would be around 550K while Hanson is set to make 4M. The move leaves the Braves with 13.5M left to sign(or trade for) a LF, fill the bench spots and(or) extend some of the current guys. Great move by Wren.

It's a shame Jay Bay withered away to nothing, he would be cheap since the Mets are still paying him a shit ton of money.

Last edited 11/30/12 9:24PM server time by buffalodave
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #331   11/30/12 9:22:04PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

I don't want to see Simmons since his glove is going to save a ton of runs but the possibility of an Upton-Upton-Heyward outfield seems too pretty. If we could only find a 3rd team to work something out.

Post #332   12/2/12 3:13:20PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,399
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yankees make a 1yr/$12 mil offer to Kevin Youkilis

Post #333   12/6/12 11:56:00AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

to be their DH in June?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #334   12/6/12 11:58:37AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,399
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

to be their DH in June?

Id think the other way around. They still need a LHB though

Post #335   12/6/12 12:28:30PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

to be their DH in June?

Id think the other way around. They still need a LHB though

you believe A-rod will happily accept being a DH?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #336   12/6/12 12:30:28PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
apparently Dickey to Blue Jays is a close deal in a 7 player swap. Jays reportedly are sending 2 of their top 3 prospects

Post #337   12/15/12 4:44:47PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:896-509
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

apparently Dickey to Blue Jays is a close deal in a 7 player swap. Jays reportedly are sending 2 of their top 3 prospects

Done deal, Dickey agreed to a 2yr 25M extension, pending physical.

Post #338   12/17/12 12:35:57PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Even though they've had to sell some farm to round up this talent, the Blue Jays have a great shot at making a run this year. Which is good because fuck the Yanks and the Sox. I'd love to see the Jays win that division.

Post #339   12/17/12 2:50:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

Even though they've had to sell some farm to round up this talent, the Blue Jays have a great shot at making a run this year. Which is good because fuck the Yanks and the Sox. I'd love to see the Jays win that division.

all Anthopolous did for the last 3 years or so was stockpile the farm for this type of offseason. I really hope the injury bug stays away from them this year...they rostered the highest number of players in the league last season

Post #340   12/17/12 4:31:19PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,914-1,109
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd The Pirates continue to embrace the suck.......Martin at catcher is an upgrade defensively.But i'm preparing for a 256th losing season in a row...last year was a fun ride until all star break

Post #341   12/17/12 4:43:32PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

all Anthopolous did for the last 3 years or so was stockpile the farm for this type of offseason. I really hope the injury bug stays away from them this year...they rostered the highest number of players in the league last season

Do you like this deal for the Jays Bubbs? I know you're a Cards fan first, but to me it doesn't seem like a great deal when you're giving up prospects(especially a blue chipper) to get a 38 year old pitcher who relies on a trick pitch. These kinds of deals seem like desperation moves to me, but who can blame them in that division, gotta keep up with the Joneses(or Steinbrenners I guess).

Post #342   12/18/12 2:50:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher
Do you like this deal for the Jays Bubbs? I know you're a Cards fan first, but to me it doesn't seem like a great deal when you're giving up prospects(especially a blue chipper) to get a 38 year old pitcher who relies on a trick pitch. These kinds of deals seem like desperation moves to me, but who can blame them in that division, gotta keep up with the Joneses(or Steinbrenners I guess).

I am a Cards fan first, but living here it's all Jays talk so I can't help but get attached in one way or another (like the Jays, hate the Maple Leafs for instance) and follow them more closely.

I'm not sold on Dickey being anything special in the AL East...I got to witness Wakefield for a decade or so. The AL in general is a hitters league and there is no chance in hell he will sniff 200+ Ks again this season. Playing on turf instead of grass will also be a factor. I don't think they gave up too much to get him (and Thole), but there had to have been a better, more consistent SP out there. Maybe not if Toronto had to give up 2 catchers (couldn't have 4 on the 40 man), but there were brief rumors that Toronto looked into Lincicum but his $22 mil contract this coming season was a bit much to take.

Who knows, maybe this change of pace pitcher is what they need after a couple RH fireballers in Morrow and Johnson, a very consistent lefty in Buerhrle, and hopefully a bounceback season from Romero (another lefty). I have no idea how Gibbons is going to set his lineup (highly doubt Dickey will be a #5 and a new guy being the opening day starter) but I can't wait to see it unfold

This trade was more for pitching depth than anything. After losing Hutchison, Morrow and Drabek in the span of 5 days last year, they really had no one left to fill the void. Prior to the trade, after JA Happ, there wasn't much there to be a replacement. I'm 95% sure Carlos Villanueva won't be back as he wants to be a starter, not a floater between long relief and spot starter (and tbh he deserves it). Drabek and Hutch won't be back til June at the earliest after Tommy John so the Jays really need some SP depth.

all in all it could work out, but I'm sitting on the fence with both feet hanging over the skepticism side.

Last edited 12/18/12 4:33PM server time by bubbles

Post #343   12/18/12 4:32:34PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by cowcatcher

I am a Cards fan first, but living here it's all Jays talk so I can't help but get attached in one way or another (like the Jays, hate the Maple Leafs for instance) and follow them more closely.

I'm not sold on Dickey being anything special in the AL East...I got to witness Wakefield for a decade or so. The AL in general is a hitters league and there is no chance in hell he will sniff 200+ Ks again this season. Playing on turf instead of grass will also be a factor. I don't think they gave up too much to get him (and Thole), but there had to have been a better, more consistent SP out there. Maybe not if Toronto had to give up 2 catchers (couldn't have 4 on the 40 man), but there were brief rumors that Toronto looked into Lincicum but his $22 mil contract this coming season was a bit much to take.

Who knows, maybe this change of pace pitcher is what they need after a couple RH fireballers in Morrow and Johnson, a very consistent lefty in Buerhrle, and hopefully a bounceback season from Romero (another lefty). I have no idea how Gibbons is going to set his lineup (highly doubt Dickey will be a #5 and a new guy being the opening day starter) but I can't wait to see it unfold

This trade was more for pitching depth than anything. After losing Hutchison, Morrow and Drabek in the span of 5 days last year, they really had no one left to fill the void. Prior to the trade, after JA Happ, there wasn't much there to be a replacement. I'm 95% sure Carlos Villanueva won't be back as he wants to be a starter, not a floater between long relief and spot starter (and tbh he deserves it). Drabek and Hutch won't be back til June at the earliest after Tommy John so the Jays really need some SP depth.

all in all it could work out, but I'm sitting on the fence with both feet hanging over the skepticism side.

Cards baby

Post #344   12/18/12 6:21:22PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
Ryan Freel shot himself in the face

one of the comments I found was pretty clever, although some might not like it:

Apparently, earlier in the morning, Freel had been making his trademark pancakes, which he prepares inside a large juice jug. Just as he was about to pour them on the griddle, he heard a loud noise out front and went to investigate, seeing his neighbour. As he got to the side of the road, he suddenly feared that he had left the jug too close to the edge of the countertop. Sure enough, he looked back through his front window and saw the jug tilting ever so slightly. Realizing that his kitchen floor had new tile that hadn't been properly sealed, he was worried about staining and ran back in, but, looking through the window later, the neighbour found that nothing had fallen. When his neighbour was questioned later by police, he told them that the last time he saw Freel, he was sprinting for home as soon as he saw the pitcher move, but ultimately the batter never made contact.

Last edited 12/23/12 12:11AM server time by bubbles

Post #345   12/23/12 12:10:36AM   

Page 23 of 24   <<   20     21     22     23     24