Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SHOGUN signed by UFC!!!!

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

Not trying to sound like a dick but you do realize every professional sport is run by a monopoly to ensure we get to see the best play the best. The NBA, NHL, MLB, EPL and NFL are far superior to any other association in thier respective sport and it does not hurt the game it enhances it.

All of those leagues you mentioned are groups of independently-owned entities, and as such are governed by anti-trust laws and, at least in the case of baseball, collective bargaining agreements between labor (the players) and management (the team owners).

Post #46   5/24/07 8:47:23PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
If you all want to think of this in terms of pro sports. Think of the UFC as the MLB and it is robbing the Japenese leagues of thier Ichiro's, Dice-K's etc and thus making it possible to judge who is really the best pitcher around.

Yet what I believe most of you are trying to say is that the UFC is going to screw fighters because if fighters want to make a lucretive living as a fighter it has to be with the UFC.

What I have been saying is based solely on entertainment and skill level the UFC is acquiring and thus making comparisions to various Pro sport leagues.

But it seems to me that you all keep bringing what I am saying back to monetary terms. As for that I do not think we are far from seeing the UFC set some standards (By way of a fighters union??), but unlike other pro sports it is more difficult as the UFC often changes its stable of fighters.

The answers I do not have but with the growing popularity of the sport one can only assume these matters will be addressed in the near future.

Post #47   5/24/07 11:20:19PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

If you all want to think of this in terms of pro sports. Think of the UFC as the MLB and it is robbing the Japenese leagues of thier Ichiro's, Dice-K's etc and thus making it possible to judge who is really the best pitcher around.

Yet what I believe most of you are trying to say is that the UFC is going to screw fighters because if fighters want to make a lucretive living as a fighter it has to be with the UFC.

What I have been saying is based solely on entertainment and skill level the UFC is acquiring and thus making comparisions to various Pro sport leagues.

But it seems to me that you all keep bringing what I am saying back to monetary terms. As for that I do not think we are far from seeing the UFC set some standards (By way of a fighters union??), but unlike other pro sports it is more difficult as the UFC often changes its stable of fighters.

The answers I do not have but with the growing popularity of the sport one can only assume these matters will be addressed in the near future.

You can't compare Japanese baseball to American baseball. The playing field between the UFC and PRIDE is a lot more even in comparison to the MLB and well....any other major baseball league. In addition, baseball is baseball, there are very few rules that divide the basic essence of the sport. Yes, PRIDE and UFC represent the same sport, but they represent two very different brands which are marketed in two different ways. UFC is the hard edged, American beer guzzling rompin and stompin league, while PRIDE represents the essence of Asian culture, whose primary focus is respect above anything else. If you try to replace PRIDE with UFC Asia, I think Zuffa is going to take a huge hit, mark my words.

There are simply way too many factors to really determine how this will end up, but I just see the marketability of PRIDE as something that can only be advantageous to Zuffa. The only reason why PRIDE was suffering was because of bad management decisions; it was literally DSE's game to lose, and they lost. Yes, losing the cable deal sucked and probably struck a blow, but DSE had the talent, they had the stage and they had a rabid cult following of fans that put(s) UFC fans to shame. I am not playing favorites here, that is just the truth.

If Zuffa wants to put PRIDE under, they should have announced it that way and announced a plan of action that would have at the very least prepared us and the fighters for what was to come. Obviously if all the DSE court problems with fighters causes fighters to leave PRIDE and come to UFC, more power to the fighters and Zuffa, and if this is what is happening with Shogun and the like, then okay, there's not much we can say about that. I just don't want Zuffa to eliminate PRIDE because they can.

Post #48   5/24/07 11:45:35PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by nubby

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

Posted by wkm311

Good and Bad in my opinion. Its coo because we will get to see Chuck vs Shogun (given he beats Rampage). But its bad because they are taking more fighters from Pride and putting them in the UFC.

But why is that bad? Because you like the pride format better?

Because if they take Shogun out of Pride, Pride will become weaker. Soon Pride won't have alot of good fighters anymore because the UFC snagged them all.

Yes but why is that inherently bad? If they are coming to the UFC and they are fighting the guys everyone has been waiting for, doesn't it seem like the positives far outweight the negatives? And the negatives seem more like opinion than anything else. If you like pride better than UFC than I understand your plight but if you like them both then this move should really do nothing but excite you. Imagine if Dan Henderson and Emelianenko make the move as well.

For people like chris leben, he doesn't really have that much selling power when compared to fighters like Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. Sure people know his name, but no one is really going to miss him.

With Shogun coming to the UFC, I bet his pay will go up and the casual fan will learn who he is. Same with Wanderlei Silva if he makes the move as I believe he will.

Well first I do like Pride more then UFC. You do make some good points, but I feel that Shogun/Wandy won't be able to fight as frequently as they did in Pride. Nor will they be able to compete in Grandprix anymore. And the people that are in Pride, when fighting in the GP, wont have nearly as much competition as they did with Shogun/Wandy.

What's stopping the UFC from putting on it's own tournament similar to the Grand Prix?

America, they can't have 2 fights in 1 night in UFC.

Post #49   5/25/07 2:02:30AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby
What's stopping the UFC from putting on it's own tournament similar to the Grand Prix?

well now that the closest competition is being owned by the ufc, the UFC can go over to Japan knowing that there is still a huge fanbase there will to buy out everything. Since UFC is branching out into different countries now i dont see it as a possibilty but more as a probability

Post #50   5/25/07 7:51:34AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

Posted by wkm311

Good and Bad in my opinion. Its coo because we will get to see Chuck vs Shogun (given he beats Rampage). But its bad because they are taking more fighters from Pride and putting them in the UFC.

But why is that bad? Because you like the pride format better?

Because if they take Shogun out of Pride, Pride will become weaker. Soon Pride won't have alot of good fighters anymore because the UFC snagged them all.

Yes but why is that inherently bad? If they are coming to the UFC and they are fighting the guys everyone has been waiting for, doesn't it seem like the positives far outweight the negatives? And the negatives seem more like opinion than anything else. If you like pride better than UFC than I understand your plight but if you like them both then this move should really do nothing but excite you. Imagine if Dan Henderson and Emelianenko make the move as well.

For people like chris leben, he doesn't really have that much selling power when compared to fighters like Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. Sure people know his name, but no one is really going to miss him.

With Shogun coming to the UFC, I bet his pay will go up and the casual fan will learn who he is. Same with Wanderlei Silva if he makes the move as I believe he will.

Well first I do like Pride more then UFC. You do make some good points, but I feel that Shogun/Wandy won't be able to fight as frequently as they did in Pride. Nor will they be able to compete in Grandprix anymore. And the people that are in Pride, when fighting in the GP, wont have nearly as much competition as they did with Shogun/Wandy.

Crap, well maybe they can change that or maybe two nights in a row?

Post #51   5/25/07 11:02:25AM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
When talking about the UFC and how it will disregard the essence of Pride I completely agree. It is evident that the UFC wants to fully rid Pride of anything that used to give it that edge as something more (or less) than the UFC. It is sad because Pride offered something that was different and now the ZUFFA brand is going to slap the UFC font on Pride and maret it as UFC JAPAN.

As I said before it is the acquisition of talent and unified rules I am happy about. But in my case I would have rather seen Pride purchase the UFC than the other way around.

Yet lets not judge how terrible this will be until we see at least one promotion under new leadership.

Also this new VP the UFC just picked up is he going to run Pride for the most part???

Post #52   5/25/07 12:42:44PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

When talking about the UFC and how it will disregard the essence of Pride I completely agree. It is evident that the UFC wants to fully rid Pride of anything that used to give it that edge as something more (or less) than the UFC. It is sad because Pride offered something that was different and now the ZUFFA brand is going to slap the UFC font on Pride and maret it as UFC JAPAN.

As I said before it is the acquisition of talent and unified rules I am happy about. But in my case I would have rather seen Pride purchase the UFC than the other way around.

Yet lets not judge how terrible this will be until we see at least one promotion under new leadership.

Also this new VP the UFC just picked up is he going to run Pride for the most part???

I almost completely agree with all of this, this was basically what I was/am getting at. I mean, despite me wanting Shogun to stay in PRIDE, I still would love to see him fight Chuck, so hopefully everything works out.

Post #53   5/25/07 5:07:07PM   

duniek

MMA Regular

duniek Avatar

Career:1,737-1,155
Camp: Duniek
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Junior24
Whats next? They sign Mike Zambidis from K-1 to take Sherk. Oooh...that would be nice

Ooooohhh I just thought of a match-up that almost gave me a hard-on:

Mike Zambidis vs Melvin Guillard!

Iron Mike would decapitate Melvins coke-head faster than Tim Sylvia comes up with excuses.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I love this comment :))))))))

Last edited 5/26/07 8:21PM server time by duniek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #54   5/26/07 8:20:45PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:
Has it been actually confirmed that Shogun is signed or not ?

Post #55   5/29/07 3:33:26PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nubby

There was actually a tournament in Vegas this year (it was a smaller show, but)... I searched aroun on Sherdog but couldn't fing the link again... All I mean is that maybe these won't be out of the question in the future (I hope not at least)

Post #56   5/29/07 3:42:52PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4