Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SHOGUN signed by UFC!!!!

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
If they give him a can it's no big deal.

Post #16   5/22/07 2:08:18PM   

blkssncpt

MMA Regular

Career:434-334
Chips:
this is great for an already large wieght class but i cant wait to see shogun vs chuck this is gonna be sick!!!

Post #17   5/22/07 3:34:57PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
this is gay, im butthurt.
but chutebox also stated that wandy was gonna fight vovy, and that wasn't true. bah i hate rumors, althought shogun did say he was going to fight in june-july.

adios PRIDE.

Post #18   5/22/07 3:44:14PM   

Junior24

MMA Regular

Junior24 Avatar

Career:168-143
Camp: FightClub
Chips:
Uhm...Im in awe right now. Looks like Hendo is going to hold the M/W title for a little bit longer.

As for the LHW division in UFC. All the Chuck nuthuggers better be prepared for what I experienced after the GG vs. CC fight.

Things have just gotten very interesting in the LHW division. Bring over Soko and its on like Donkey Kong.

With all the talent UFC is aquiring, I think is good for the fans, because now every UFC will legitmate fights or not just having like 2 good fights on the card. This is exciting to say the least.

Whats next? They sign Mike Zambidis from K-1 to take Sherk. Oooh...that would be nice

Last edited 5/22/07 8:04PM server time by junior24
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   5/22/07 8:03:10PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:
Finally I will get to se ehow good Shogun will be without his headstomps and headkicks.

Post #20   5/22/07 8:07:41PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by Junior24
Whats next? They sign Mike Zambidis from K-1 to take Sherk. Oooh...that would be nice

Ooooohhh I just thought of a match-up that almost gave me a hard-on:

Mike Zambidis vs Melvin Guillard!

Iron Mike would decapitate Melvins coke-head faster than Tim Sylvia comes up with excuses.

Post #21   5/22/07 8:17:03PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Didn't Dana aks "who is shogun just six months ago?"

Dana White knows who Shogun is....he was just speaking for the casual fans out there who dont know who he is.

Post #22   5/22/07 8:24:01PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by Junior24

Uhm...Im in awe right now. Looks like Hendo is going to hold the M/W title for a little bit longer.

As for the LHW division in UFC. All the Chuck nuthuggers better be prepared for what I experienced after the GG vs. CC fight.

Things have just gotten very interesting in the LHW division. Bring over Soko and its on like Donkey Kong.

With all the talent UFC is aquiring, I think is good for the fans, because now every UFC will legitmate fights or not just having like 2 good fights on the card. This is exciting to say the least.

Thats a terrible match. Zambidis is an amazing kickboxer but Sherk will control him at will in mma. Guillard and Zambidis is also a poor idea for a match. What would make it so intriguing?

Post #23   5/22/07 8:57:15PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Posted by Junior24

Thats a terrible match. Zambidis is an amazing kickboxer but Sherk will control him at will in mma. Guillard and Zambidis is also a poor idea for a match. What would make it so intriguing?

Don't be so negative ... Zambidis would knock Melvins head off... that's what's making it so intriguing.

Post #24   5/22/07 9:02:08PM   

Junior24

MMA Regular

Junior24 Avatar

Career:168-143
Camp: FightClub
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by kaduey

Posted by Junior24

Don't be so negative ... Zambidis would knock Melvins head off... that's what's making it so intriguing.

But seriously...Im still lauging...anywho....Getting in the ring w/Mike Z and 4oz gloves equals suicidal tendancies. Melvin getting in the ring w/Mike Z and 4oz gloves equals 10 seconds of enjoyment for me.

Post #25   5/23/07 12:11:04AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
Wouldn't Babalu make the perfect opponet for Shogun if this rumor is true? You know Sorbral won't turn down a fight even if it is a month a way. Gives Shogun a chance to make up for his first loss, and sets him up for a shot at the title since Babalu is no walk in the park. He holds a win over Rampage, so that would be a compelling match when Quinton takes the title. If Chuck some how wins it is still a great match up considering many think of the 2 LHWs as the two best in the world.

Last edited 5/23/07 1:34AM server time by johny_rotten

Post #26   5/23/07 1:34:01AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Am I the only person in the world that thinks this is Bull? I mean It's stupid, Zuffa Is doin nothin but robbing pride of all its good fighters. ZUFFA IS MAKIN SOME DUMBASS DECISIONS!

Post #27   5/23/07 1:46:19PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Am I the only person in the world that thinks this is Bull? I mean It's stupid, Zuffa Is doin nothin but robbing pride of all its good fighters. ZUFFA IS MAKIN SOME DUMBASS DECISIONS!

Why is it dumb?

Ill tell you why its smart:
First if the UFC can grab the fighters from one promotion and move them all over to another they can consolidate and have a single show per a month instead of two shows. The overall production costs are reduced but ppv sales go up due to increased overseas interest.

Second they remove the need for a super bowl of mma and the need to split the revenues between the two entities.

Lastly they can concentrate on a single promotion rather than two large promotions and expand the UFC brand overseas and world wide.

In my eyes, the natural progression is for pride to fade completely.

I hope the end result will be regional UFC competitions that will lead up to a final grand prix at the end of the year where top contenders in each weight class will fight to take a championship belt in their weight class.

If all goes well, MMA will become a summer olympic sport in the near future. Brazil would finally stand a chance at running away with gold in something other than soccer.

Post #28   5/23/07 2:01:02PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by nubby

Why is it dumb?

First if the UFC can grab the fighters from one promotion and move them all over to another they can consolidate and have a single show per a month instead of two shows. The overall production costs are reduced but ppv sales go up due to increased overseas interest.

Second they remove the need for a super bowl of mma and the need to split the revenues between the two entities.

Lastly they can concentrate on a single promotion rather than two large promotions and expand the UFC brand overseas and world wide.

I hope the end result will be regional UFC competitions that will lead up to a final grand prix at the end of the year where top contenders in each weight class will fight to take a championship belt in their weight class.

If all goes well, MMA will become a summer olympic sport in the near future. Brazil would finally stand a chance at running away with gold in something other than soccer.

You mean like WWE acquiring WCW and ECW? I hate to compare MMA to pro wrestling, but from a business standpoint, they are almost identical. WWE buys out their top competition in both WCW and ECW, all these cool dream matches for fans are put on paper, but after a year or two of mis-management, the WWE brnad goes down the shitter with blatant abuses of power.

Yes, pro-wrestling is scripted, but ignoring the actual dream matches in a single UFC entity, eliminating PRIDE would do the following:

- Alienate Asian fans who are used to the PRIDE format.
- Eliminate the ring format which many fight fans prefer.
- Opposing your viewpoint, PPV buyrates would actually go down with no build up to a yearly super bowl like event. Can you imagine baseball without the world series or football without their own superbowl? I am not saying that UFC or PRIDE is comparable to team sports, but imagine what a single marketable event drawing Eastern fans and Western fans together under one PPV program format. Can you imagine the marketing possibilities? Fighters would get paid shitloads more, thus, they would perform better. Having only the UFC to market fights would perhaps increase buyrates, but what happens when all the big names have already fought? Then what? Yes, we want to see dream matches, but the truth is, you have to hold out on your moneymaker bouts until its the perfect time.

So yeah, I think UFC's current activities is absolute BS. Keep Shogun in PRIDE!

Last edited 5/23/07 5:25PM server time by warglory

Post #29   5/23/07 5:16:53PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by nubby

Why is it dumb?

You mean like WWE acquiring WCW and ECW? I hate to compare MMA to pro wrestling, but from a business standpoint, they are almost identical. WWE buys out their top competition in both WCW and ECW, all these cool dream matches for fans are put on paper, but after a year or two of mis-management, the WWE brnad goes down the shitter with blatant abuses of power.

Yes, pro-wrestling is scripted, but ignoring the actual dream matches in a single UFC entity, eliminating PRIDE would do the following:

- Alienate Asian fans who are used to the PRIDE format.
- Eliminate the ring format which many fight fans prefer as demonstrated in this very thread.
- Opposing your viewpoint, PPV buyrates would actually go down with no build up to a yearly super bowl like event. Can you imagine baseball without the world series or football without their own superbowl? I am not saying that UFC or PRIDE is comparable to team sports, but imagine what a single marketable event drawing Eastern fans and Western fans together under one PPV program format. Can you imagine the marketing possibilities? Fighters would get paid shitloads more, thus, they would perform better. Having only the UFC to market fights would perhaps increase buyrates, but what happens when all the big names have already fought? Then what? Yes, we want to see dream matches, but the truth is, you have to hold out on your moneymaker bouts until its the perfect time.

So yeah, I think UFC's current activities is absolute BS. Keep Shogun in PRIDE!

Well not to insult you but you don't have very good business sense. The WWE is still the most lucrative wrestling organization with not a single close competitor. The reason the WWE has seen any down turn is speculated to be a direct result of the increase of popularity in MMA.

If you look at the most recent transition of pride fighters to UFC you will notice they are already starting to get paid more money. So the competition between pride and UFC for talent was actually only existant because the UFC had not reached a high enough profit threshold to justify higher payouts until recently.

Also to say that because a fighter gets paid more they will perform better is just borderline stupidity. Crocop gets paid 300k a fight and his performance has been lackluster at best since entering the octagon. I highly doubt that paying him 500k a fight will garner any better performance from him.

As for having all your money making bouts, timing was never an issue with the UFC, it was all about marketing. The same is still true. Look at every single promotional commercial for UFC 71, it's all about Chuck getting his loss avenged and has nothing to do with some sort of artifical superbowl of MMA. The superbowl of MMA should be every time a belt is up for grabs because it should be the two best fighters going at it.

What's the point in having a belt if everyone knows that there is some one else across the pond that is better with his own belt. Unifying the structure, the rules, the environment. This will make the entire industry better at whole because then the only question is about the fighters and not wether or not pride or bodog or cage rage or ufc has the best fighters. It becomes, who is the best fighter, period?

Notice how people are no longer worried about who is better between Liddell and Rua. You know why? Because we will have an answer soon enough and the stage will no longer be a question because Rua is becoming a UFC fighter. He will be given a few fights to adjust to the new rules, but if he trully is a great fighter he wont have a problem proving it.

Lastly, just because Asia is used to watching MMA in a ring doesn't mean they don't like the UFC. The reason that the UFC isn't big in Japan is because the UFC isn't pushed in Asia. Look at europe... why is it that UFC is blowing up over there? Its from all the promotion. The same will be true when a lot of Japanese MMA stars sign up for the UFC. Imagine the type of support the UFC will see from the Asian fans if Okami can pull off a win against Franklin. They would shit their pants. And frankly I would too.

Post #30   5/23/07 5:33:18PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4