Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wyoming becomes state No. 46 to regulate MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,050-1,735
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wyoming is getting in the business of regulated MMA.

Governor Matt Mead recently signed into law House Bill 87, which calls for the creation of an MMA board to oversee and regulate the sport.

Although the country's least populous U.S. state, Wyoming is now the 46th to regulate MMA.

Only three state athletic commissions (in New York, Connecticut and Vermont) currently don't regulate MMA, and one (Alaska) lacks a regulatory body to do so. Wyoming joins other recent adopters, including West Virginia, Wisconsin and Alabama.

Wyoming officially joined the list this past Thursday, March 8.

LINK

Post #1   3/12/12 7:38:31AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Great because MMA needs more uneducated refs and judges to ruin the sport and fighters careers now lets rush to have an event there and make it important like a title fight so someone really gets screwed again.

stop getting mma regulated and new places and start educating judges and refs this is more important for thr credability of the sport.

boxing refs are failing mma tests and they are still using them ruining fighters careers ask (Frank Edgar joe warren and mish tate),and dana white is ruining MMA's future by being the most influental person in MMA today and he sits back and does nothing but tells fans to shut up. in my opinion

Last edited 3/12/12 12:01PM server time by submissionartist1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/12/12 12:00:35PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #3   3/12/12 12:33:39PM   

BMF

MMA Regular

Career:1,955-1,389
Chips:
Your right lets not rush back to Wyoming where UFC 6 was held, that would be bad for buisness. I am joking of course since I am from Wyoming. Not sure the basis for saying that Wyoming would have less uneduacted refs and judges like the rest of the world has.

So your saying just have it in Las Vegas and no where else.

How are the refs/judges ruing fighters carrers? Are you taking about Joe Warren and Edgar who were shown that his size is a factor or Tate being exposed for having a horrible ground game? Champions should being given the benefit of the doubt when defending there title, once you enter MMA or boxing you know the risk.

Post #4   3/12/12 12:35:16PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,636-993
Chips:

Posted by submissionartist1

Great because MMA needs more uneducated refs and judges to ruin the sport and fighters careers now lets rush to have an event there and make it important like a title fight so someone really gets screwed again.

stop getting mma regulated and new places and start educating judges and refs this is more important for thr credability of the sport.

boxing refs are failing mma tests and they are still using them ruining fighters careers ask (Frank Edgar joe warren and mish tate),and dana white is ruining MMA's future by being the most influental person in MMA today and he sits back and does nothing but tells fans to shut up. in my opinion

So MMA being legalized in more places will ruin the sport? Not sure I follow.

Did you ever think that maybe since Wyoming would be creating a brand new governing body to oversee MMA, that maybe they would address the problems that are popping up in already established markets? Perhaps they are going to have the best courses for officiating around. Maybe they will have the best judges and referees in the world.

I doubt there is a person on this site that would argue that officiating in MMA doesn't have a long way to go. But I find your assumptions baseless. I think judging is, unfortunately, relative and we will always have discrepancies. Why is it some people think Edgar beat Bendo yet Nick Diaz lost to Carlos Condit? Why was Condit scored the winner of a fight here he did nothing backing up, yet Martin Kampmann lost a fight where he mutilated Diego Sanchez's face and clearly outstruck and outgrappled Diego while moving backwards?

States aren't the issue. It's people. And no matter where you go, There will be dumb, uneducated people. IMO the key is weeding out the dummies when hiring officials. Also, while Dana White is often a huge douche and tells fans to shut up, judging in MMA is one issue he has always been vocal about. He tells fighters not to leave it in the hands of the judges because he, and everyone else knows there are a lot of screwy decisions. He is always blasting MMA officials. So you and DW are on the same side of this argument, bud.

For the record too, I fucking love Wyoming, and I think it could be a good market. I doubt they'd get more than one show a year, but I think it would do well.

Last edited 3/12/12 3:57PM server time by pmoney
2 total post edits

Post #5   3/12/12 1:19:56PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,702-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
New York would be a huge hub for mma, let's hope 2012 is the year! It's kind of ridiculous that boxing, a sport comprised of a couple big names ie Mayweather, Paqiuo, Klistko brothers is accepted anywhere, and the UFC has more than a handful of greatly know talent and it's hard for NY to accept it. It kind of baffles me, we've gone from bare knuckle street fighting to a legitimate, rapidly growing sport.

Post #6   3/12/12 6:43:24PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Wasn't UFC 5 or 6 in Wyoming? in any rate...who gives a damn, no legit org will host there in northern redneck country.

EDIT: 6

Last edited 3/13/12 4:22AM server time by cooler

Post #7   3/13/12 4:21:22AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:
Yeah, Wyoming has always had legal MMA, it's just now sanctioned by them. The promoter just sanctions their events with a national sanctioning body like the ICSF so it didn't matter if it was sanctioned by a Wyoming commission or not since it wasn't illegal. Same as a few other states (Alaska, Montana, Vermont), so it's not that big of news other than it's a higher number in the sanctioned column. Really all that matters now is New York. The only other state where MMA is "illegal" is Connecticut but they get Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods sanctioned events all the time on the reservations. As far as I'm concerned it's been at 49 for years now since you can just use a national sanctioning body in unsanctioned states but New York won't even allow that.

Post #8   3/13/12 8:02:32PM