Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: 'Nate Diaz wants no part of fight with Frankie Edgar'

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
"I'm pretty sure, like, I'm not really big on fighting Frankie, you know? Frankie came down to train with me and he represents Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida, I train with Cesar (Gracie) so, I really don't want no part of that fight. I'm mostly interested in fighting people I don't know. "

Loyalty before potential title shots? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight contender Nate Diaz tells MMA Fighting that he wants no part in fighting former UFC 155-pound champion, Frankie Edgar. Not that he fears "The Answer," exactly, he would just rather not face someone with such strong ties to the Gracie family whom he has trained with in the past. Diaz, a member of the Cesar Gracie fight team in California, has spent some hit the mats with Edgar, who trains under Cesar's cousin in New York, Renzo. Nate will headline UFC on FOX 3 on May 5, 2012, as he takes on the very scrappy Jim Miller.

Link

Post #1   3/7/12 10:18:34PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I agree with Nate.....I wouldn't want to be a part of a dance contest either.

Post #2   3/7/12 10:28:14PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
its kind of like frankie is his fifth cousin that he only see's every 5 years at family reunions. get over it

Post #3   3/7/12 10:37:45PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I used to disagree with all the "I won't fight teammates" bull**** but the more I think about it the less opinion I have on it from a personal stand point. I don't know these guys, and I haven't spent time with them in the gym. I haven't shed blood and sweat with them. So I can't really say anything about how they feel fighting each other.

At the same time Nate hasn't spent much time training with Edgar but I know how deeply the Diaz brothers feel about loyalty. When it comes down to the Gracie name, the Diaz brothers will honor their loyalty, so I can see why he may have an issue fighting Edgar, who has ties with Renzo Gracie.

Just my opinion, though. I know a lot of fans here on the playground disagree with me.

Post #4   3/7/12 11:19:24PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
This reminds me of how Nick said he didn't want to fight BJ. I think he probably doesn't but if he was offered a shot at the title he wouldn't turn it down, or if they needed it to happen. Yea they've trained together but its not like they're stockton homies or anything

Post #5   3/8/12 2:21:16AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I used to disagree with all the "I won't fight teammates" bull**** but the more I think about it the less opinion I have on it from a personal stand point. I don't know these guys, and I haven't spent time with them in the gym. I haven't shed blood and sweat with them. So I can't really say anything about how they feel fighting each other.

At the same time Nate hasn't spent much time training with Edgar but I know how deeply the Diaz brothers feel about loyalty. When it comes down to the Gracie name, the Diaz brothers will honor their loyalty, so I can see why he may have an issue fighting Edgar, who has ties with Renzo Gracie.

Just my opinion, though. I know a lot of fans here on the playground disagree with me.

Not at all.

If I was a fighter, I would not want to fight someone I knew personally or have trained with... Of course, that does not mean I will never fight him. If the number one contender spot or the championship is on the line, then yes, I will fight. For all other fights, I would do my best to avoid fighting people I know and train with...

Post #6   3/8/12 3:05:15AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,253-1,327
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Cesar's camp is the biggest group of people who refuse to fight one another. If Gilbert wants a UFC fighter give him Nate, if Nate don't want that fight then ask him why he;s so scared hommie?

Post #7   3/8/12 5:45:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
This is a little extream if you ask me. I understand the AKA guys not fighting they train everyday together. If everyone who has worked out together decideds not to fight Joe silva is in big trouble.

Post #8   3/8/12 8:20:25AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
damn if everyone who ever trained with a gracie never fought eachother who would fight really everyone in mma is training with a gracie in some way or another theres like 100 of them they all pretty much train and or fight or have and via a trickle down everone is connected

Post #9   3/8/12 9:06:39AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by FastKnockout

Not at all.

If I was a fighter, I would not want to fight someone I knew personally or have trained with... Of course, that does not mean I will never fight him. If the number one contender spot or the championship is on the line, then yes, I will fight. For all other fights, I would do my best to avoid fighting people I know and train with...

I would fight my mother and granny if Joe Silva wanted me to.

Post #10   3/8/12 1:14:00PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 35-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,449-941
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This not wanting to fight friends shit is ridiculous. I play hockey against buddies all the time! Its a sport, its fun, its not personal! Diaz doesnt have to worry about it though cause Jimmy Miller is gonna merk em

Post #11   3/8/12 6:10:31PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by FastKnockout

Not at all.

Nu-uh

Post #12   3/8/12 8:10:09PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by FastKnockout

Not at all.

When you're the best, you have to accept all fights.

Post #13   3/8/12 9:07:22PM