Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Slams Door on Tim Sylvia’s UFC Comeback Hopes

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Mar 6, 2012 - Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia has spent much of the last few weeks publicly pleading for one more run in the UFC. Earlier this week, he appeared on The MMA Hour and even said he'd be willing to fight for free in order to prove himself again.

Article

So that just happened.

Post #1   3/6/12 7:00:19PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
that door slammed hard

Post #2   3/6/12 7:19:37PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
huh.

I'm not exactly a Big Tim fan but this seems odd.

There are definitely fighters in the UFC HW division right now with less skill and draw than Timmy.

Post #3   3/6/12 8:42:01PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think dana has too much beef with tim. theres really no other reason, i had forgotten that he has actually been doing pretty decent in his last few fights. i personally dont really care.

Post #4   3/6/12 8:52:42PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
he would've had a much better chance of getting back into the UFC if he did something like try to win a belt in a smaller organization or something like that. I don't see how he expected just straight up begging to work out for him.

Post #5   3/6/12 9:05:59PM   

Samps

MMA Regular

Samps Avatar

Career:610-346
Chips:
I don't like how Sylvia is getting desperate.
-Fight for less
-Fan in corner
-Fight for free
Come on....
I say put him in SF, oh wait, HW will be gone soon.... Well maybe he can get a fight in before Cormier and Barnett go at it. He wins, he gets 1 shot in the UFC, he loses and he's not going anywhere in the UFC. Look at how many chances they gave Joe "Daddy" or Hardy
Dana is kinda being a duece tho

Post #6   3/6/12 9:28:40PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
its silly. sylvia would be a large draw imo for the pay. he is the most dominant hw champ by paper. That means something for marketing. Even though I dislike this guy to the max he would be interesting to add to the roster.

Post #7   3/6/12 9:55:47PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

its silly. sylvia would be a large draw imo for the pay. he is the most dominant hw champ by paper. That means something for marketing. Even though I dislike this guy to the max he would be interesting to add to the roster.

I think losing in under 10 seconds to an over the hill boxer takes away any marketability he had, which wasn't much really. I still wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot, but I have a feeling that is a big part of the stigma attached to him. Of coarse, leaving under the conditions he did and ballooning up in weight probably didn't help the cause either.

On a side note, I noticed an ad below the article with a shirt I have'n't seen before. Kinda funny.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #8   3/6/12 10:05:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

I think losing in under 10 seconds to an over the hill boxer takes away any marketability he had, which wasn't much really. I still wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot, but I have a feeling that is a big part of the stigma attached to him. Of coarse, leaving under the conditions he did and ballooning up in weight probably didn't help the cause either.

On a side note, I noticed an ad below the article with a shirt I have'n't seen before. Kinda funny.

I think he could be a good draw actually, if the UFC got their hype machine going.

He's huge, which is important at HW.

He's a former champ with lots of title defenses.

He likes to stand and bang.

For your casual fan, that's all you need to get them to buy.

I went out to a bar for Tito vs Rashad and my waiter was telling me that Tito was going to kick Rashad's ass. You see, Tito is a former champ. He went toe-to-toe with Chuck Liddell and beat Ken Shamrock THREE TIMES!!! No way Rashad can beat him (never mind that Rashad had been a champ more recently and had knocked the same Chuck out cold.)

Post #9   3/6/12 10:49:57PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,596-987
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Did you mean UFC HW champ? Because that is one of the most incorrect statements I have ever seen if not.

Post #10   3/6/12 10:50:42PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,378-1,590
Chips:
Dana's failure to resign Sylvia is completely unjustified. Anyone else would have already been resigned at this point. Tim might want to start begging Bellator right about now.

Post #11   3/6/12 11:22:22PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,378-1,590
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

If the "over the hill" Ray Mercer catches anyone with a good shot they are going down. Boxers have far superior punching skills and significantly more power than 99% of MMA guys. Sylvia's marketability should not be affected at all by that loss.

Post #12   3/6/12 11:26:50PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

I think he could be a good draw actually, if the UFC got their hype machine going.

He's huge, which is important at HW.

He's a former champ with lots of title defenses.

He likes to stand and bang.

For your casual fan, that's all you need to get them to buy.

I went out to a bar for Tito vs Rashad and my waiter was telling me that Tito was going to kick Rashad's ass. You see, Tito is a former champ. He went toe-to-toe with Chuck Liddell and beat Ken Shamrock THREE TIMES!!! No way Rashad can beat him (never mind that Rashad had been a champ more recently and had knocked the same Chuck out cold.)

They couldn't sell Tim Sylvia when he was top 2 in the division, so I don't have any reason to believe it would be any different when he's in the bottom half of the division now. He hasn't been exciting since he stopped juicing. Not to mention, now there are a ton of current, exciting HW's that make him look even more boring in retrospect. I'm not saying I don't want to see him get the shot, but even as champ, he was a dud with sales.

Post #13   3/6/12 11:27:35PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ghandikush

If the "over the hill" Ray Mercer catches anyone with a good shot they are going down. Boxers have far superior punching skills and significantly more power than 99% of MMA guys. Sylvia's marketability should not be affected at all by that loss.

I'm not debating Mercer's punching power. It's just a matter of public perception. He's tainted as a result of that loss.

Post #14   3/6/12 11:30:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

He's actually tied on paper with Randy, but even that is a luxury of Nevada not implementing a PED policy early enough. Randy shouldn't have lost to Barny and Tim should not have a win over McGee.

Post #15   3/6/12 11:37:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2