Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

With surprising fan support, Tim Sylvia 'pretty much begging' for UFC second chance

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you're an MMA fan and you spend any time at all on Twitter – or Facebook, MMA forums or any other online destination – you've probably seen a fairly big campaign to get Tim Sylvia back in the UFC.

Even Sylvia, a former UFC champ, admits the support is surprising.

But he hopes it'll amplify his message to the UFC: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I'm sorry. I screwed up. But give me a second chance please. I'm pretty much begging."

Link

Last edited 3/5/12 9:57PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/5/12 9:55:55PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
The begging part - I can appreciate but the cowardly stunt he tried to pull to gain fan support makes me wish the ufc does not take him back.

Post #2   3/5/12 10:05:53PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:
i understand the wanting to get back to the top and even expressing that but begging for it is not the way to go. putting on fights against quality fighters and winning is. oh, and showing that you give a damn about your weight couldn't hurt either

Post #3   3/5/12 10:12:21PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have a happy medium...sign him to strikeforce.

Post #4   3/5/12 10:13:41PM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:
^ ^ ^
if there was still a hw division after the tournament...

Last edited 3/5/12 10:31PM server time by matt_black
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   3/5/12 10:30:47PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,095-1,310
Chips:
Im pretty fed up of hearing about this. Just get him in and give him Stipe Miocic or Mark Hunt

Post #6   3/5/12 10:31:16PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

i understand the wanting to get back to the top and even expressing that but begging for it is not the way to go. putting on fights against quality fighters and winning is. oh, and showing that you give a damn about your weight couldn't hurt either

I can appreciate the begging because that means he has come to terms with his situation and he is literally pleading for mercy. The part I cannot stand is the stunt he tried to pull to gain fan support by offering a fan an opportunity to be in his corner if he makes it back to the ufc. To me, that was a cowardly and selfish attempt to bribe the fans and it was nothing more than a publicity stunt to get onto the good side of the ufc. >>> Between that and the begging, I appreciate the begging more. Begging means you have surrendered and you only want mercy.

I should know because I have begged a professor before - to not fail me. I was a damn good student but I missed 1 performance. She failed others before but for me, she made an exception because I told her the truth that I purposely missed the performance to study for another exam. I pleaded to her to give me a second chance and that I would gladly accept a "C" in the class. I ended up with an "A" anyway. So yes, sometimes it pays to beg.

If something is special and extremely precious to you - you will beg. I can promise you that, prophecy. Will you beg for your life? Will you beg for your families' life? Will you beg for your job?

Post #7   3/5/12 10:34:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I forget, what'd he do?

What's the mistake that he's talking about?

Post #8   3/5/12 10:48:14PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I forget, what'd he do?

What's the mistake that he's talking about?

Asking for a release from the UFC with 1 fight left on his contract so he could fight in Affliction(R.I.P.)

Post #9   3/5/12 10:50:01PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He did make a nice chunk of change from the affliction bout

Post #10   3/5/12 11:44:25PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

He did make a nice chunk of change from the affliction bout

$800,000 disclosed

and whats more astonishing is that Andrei Arlovski made $750,000/$500,000 for show and $250,000 win bonus

Post #11   3/5/12 11:48:26PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by prophecy033

I can appreciate the begging because that means he has come to terms with his situation and he is literally pleading for mercy. The part I cannot stand is the stunt he tried to pull to gain fan support by offering a fan an opportunity to be in his corner if he makes it back to the ufc. To me, that was a cowardly and selfish attempt to bribe the fans and it was nothing more than a publicity stunt to get onto the good side of the ufc. >>> Between that and the begging, I appreciate the begging more. Begging means you have surrendered and you only want mercy.

I should know because I have begged a professor before - to not fail me. I was a damn good student but I missed 1 performance. She failed others before but for me, she made an exception because I told her the truth that I purposely missed the performance to study for another exam. I pleaded to her to give me a second chance and that I would gladly accept a "C" in the class. I ended up with an "A" anyway. So yes, sometimes it pays to beg.

If something is special and extremely precious to you - you will beg. I can promise you that, prophecy. Will you beg for your life? Will you beg for your families' life? Will you beg for your job?

Dude why do you always have to make things so much bigger than they actually are? Tim is doing what he thinks is right to get back into the game, whether we agree with it or not, but it's certainly not cowardly. Promoting yourself as a fighter is one big publicity stunt, that's the point. Do you think James Toney would have gotten a shot in the UFC had he not confronted Dana on multiple occasions? Do you think Ronda Rousey would be champ right now had she not talked trash? And do I even need to mention Chael Sonnen?

Post #12   3/5/12 11:52:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by matt_black

^ ^ ^
if there was still a hw division after the tournament...

Good call. Temporary memory lapse on my part.

Post #13   3/6/12 12:22:22AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by prophecy033

Dude why do you always have to make things so much bigger than they actually are? Tim is doing what he thinks is right to get back into the game, whether we agree with it or not, but it's certainly not cowardly. Promoting yourself as a fighter is one big publicity stunt, that's the point. Do you think James Toney would have gotten a shot in the UFC had he not confronted Dana on multiple occasions? Do you think Ronda Rousey would be champ right now had she not talked trash? And do I even need to mention Chael Sonnen?

I don't even know where to begin. I don't even know which points of mine you are disagreeing with...

I said I have no problem with Tim begging to come back to the ufc. The problem I have is he is a sniveling coward who has no sincere bone in his body when he announced he would give a fan an opportunity to be in his corner if and when he makes it back to the ufc.

To me, Tim's recent action reflects that of an impeachable politician who is doing certain things based on the recommendations of his lawyers. I am not making it bigger than it is. I'm just telling it like it is.

Post #14   3/6/12 12:35:23AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,348-1,408
Chips:
uh duh Timmay!, we all know u want Zuffa to notice ya, thats why u been talkin so much lately..but in reality, i think ur just lookin for one fatass last paycheck...

Post #15   3/6/12 1:07:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2