Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce's Josh Thomson: 'This is entertainment business, not the boring business'

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Josh Thomson (19-4 MMA, 10-2 SF) was mad at the performance he gave against K.J. Noons (11-5 MMA, 3-3 SF), and he cursed when asked to rate it afterward.

Despite dominating every round and winning a unanimous decision, Thomson's anger was replaced by near-tears in the locker room.
Link

Post #1   3/5/12 1:31:33AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
It definitely wasn't a thriller, but the way he trashed his performance after was over the top. Not to say it isn't good that he always wants to train harder, get better, and put on a great fight, but I wouldn't call it a bad performance by any stretch. That first kick to the chin of Noons was excellent, and he had some luck with it again later. It looked more that he was uneasy standing, despite his immediate success, and started to give up on it altogether in pursuit of takedowns. That arm triangle was pretty deep as well, and by the end of the fight you could tell Noons didn't want any more of what Thomson was dishing. Not an edge of your seat fight, but not one to be disappointed in.

Post #2   3/5/12 9:31:14AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
"So I think he has a little hard on"

hahaha... spelling errors are fun.

Post #3   3/5/12 1:00:06PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Chips:
I wasn't upset during or after the fight because I know Thomson usually delivers on excitement. I was hoping for a decent scrap but I figured he would play it safe due to the layoff and injuries.

Post #4   3/5/12 1:12:29PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I wasn't upset during or after the fight because I know Thomson usually delivers on excitement.

I think that's the reason I was upset during the fight. I wasn't all kinds of pissed or whining about it, but every little while I had to sigh because I knew this wasn't going to end up being the fight I was hoping to see between two fighters that usually deliver fireworks.

Post #5   3/5/12 1:17:52PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

but every little while I had to sigh because I knew this wasn't going to end up being the fight I was hoping to see between two fighters that usually deliver fireworks.

Well said.

Many people questioned the validity of having Tate/Rousey as the main event and not Noons/Thomson. Funny how it worked out...the 2 female fights were arguably the best fights of the night.

This fight bored me to tears. I found myself people watching about mid-way through the 2nd.

Last edited 3/5/12 1:22PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/5/12 1:21:59PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

but every little while I had to sigh because I knew this wasn't going to end up being the fight I was hoping to see between two fighters that usually deliver fireworks.

Well said.

Many people questioned the validity of having Tate/Rousey as the main event and not Noons/Thomson. Funny how it worked out...the 2 female fights were arguably the best fights of the night.

This fight bored me to tears. I found myself people watching about mid-way through the 2nd.

yeah, I thought Thomson/Noons was gonna be the best of the night but Tate/Rousey won me over. That was the one I was screaming during, damn good grappling IMO

Post #7   3/5/12 1:41:19PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,889-1,010
Chips:
I didnt watch the fight, but from what I read & now these comments im now a bigger fan of Thompson then ever. He seems genuinally upset people shelled out hard earned money & he didnt deliver. In todays day & age of MMA with The Jon Fitchs of the world unapologetic about not entertaining fans this is a really pleasent view of things.

Post #8   3/5/12 2:34:10PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I didnt watch the fight, but from what I read & now these comments im now a bigger fan of Thompson then ever. He seems genuinally upset people shelled out hard earned money & he didnt deliver. In todays day & age of MMA with The Jon Fitchs of the world unapologetic about not entertaining fans this is a really pleasent view of things.

It did seem a bit forced when he was going off in the post fight interview. I do think he felt bad afterwards, and a title shot was likely on the line, so I can see why he fought safely. I just wasn't entertained by it.

Post #9   3/5/12 2:36:59PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
im glad thomson won even though it was a snoozer. ive never really been a huge noons fan just because he is kind of one dimensional. i know noons can fight in other areas he just chooses to fight the same fight every time. and it shows that a good wrestler can get him down and keep him there. all things aside, i find my self loosing a ton of interest in strikeforce. good fighters, im just tired of the whole organization. i think they are getting left behind by the ufc and the gap is rapidly building.

Post #10   3/6/12 1:15:00AM