Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce: Brandon Saling (Bigot and Pedophile) Allowed To Fight.

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
TWO FACE RAPE CHARGES
Published: October 11, 2004 8:00PM

Kevin Macri Caldwell Bureau CALDWELL Two Noble County men are facing first-degree felony rape charges following an investigation by the Noble County Sheriff's Office into the weekend disappearance of a 12-year-old girl and her 13-year-old sister. According to Noble County Sheriff Landon T. Smith, the girls parents had allowed them to go to an all-night birthday party at a friend's house in Monroe County last Friday. According to reports, the girls left the party with the suspects. Brandon C. Saling, 18, Summerfield, and James T. Allen, 18, Sarahsville were each charged with rape of a person under 13 years old, a first-degree felony. Allen was also charged with three counts of corrupting another with drugs, a felony of the fourth degree. Smith said the investigation also led to the arrest of Barriman Bell, 18, Belle Valley, charged with contributing to the delinquency of a child, a first-degree misdemeanor. Joshua Clark, 19, Summerfield, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a child. Smith said other charges are being considered against the alleged suspects. "When the parents went to pick up their daughters, they discovered they had left the party during the night," Smith said. "The suspects allegedly had shown up at the birthday party and asked the girls to go for a ride with them. Then they were not returned to the birthday party." Following an extensive search, Smith said the girls were located in a camper in Stock Township. Saling and Allen were scheduled to appear today in Noble County Court before Judge Lucien C. Young III.

--- That's from his local paper.

Did some searching, but couldn't find anything on the record that gives more of a clue what happened than that. He was charged with rape, pled to gross sexual imposition. Was looking at 10 hard time so of course he gonna take the plea unless he was demonstrably innocent.

His address (he still lives with his mom as far as I can tell) puts him in a trailer a couple hours south of Cleveland. I'd steer clear of there. Pretty sure I tracked down his phone number (either that or his mom's) if you guys wanna put him on the radio show.

Post #16   3/4/12 6:00:07AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,283-1,272
Chips:
lol at putting him on the radio show.

I totally get it if an organization doesn't want to hire the guy in the first place.
I totally understand if they make a decision that he'll never be on a televised fight because of the tatoos, or even because they don't want the extra attention that comes along with the pedophilia conviction.

But if he does his time (did he?) and he's a free man (while still being a scumbag), and he's a good enough fighter, I can't see denying him a spot on the roster. I say let the guy live, let him earn a living. If he gets in trouble again, naturally, he'll never see another Zuffa fight again.

Post #17   3/4/12 10:37:08AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

This reminds me of that one dude that fought in Pride with all the racist tattoos. He had bolts and crosshairs. But yea I think this dude should be allowed to fight. It is not a far jump to say Jeff Monson shouldnt be allowed to fight because of his beliefs and actions. Fighting is fighting and has nothing to do with politics. Should we not let Court McGee fight cause he did drugs in the past?

There is a big difference between Jeff Monson's beliefs and this guys. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD COMPARE MONSON'S LEFT WING VIEWS WITH THOSE OF A RACIST/PEDOFILE. Communism and Anarchism have nothing to do with racism AT ALL. I am not sure if that is where you were going with it but you would think that someone waving the CRASS logo would be a little clearer or more educated on the subject.

Post #18   3/4/12 11:57:46AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Chips:
Just to play devil's advocate...wasn't he convicted of an equal or possibly lesser charge than Mike Tyson?

Post #19   3/4/12 12:59:20PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Just to play devil's advocate...wasn't he convicted of an equal or possibly lesser charge than Mike Tyson?

I do not think there are crimes higher than the first degree.

Regardless of whether or not Tyson's suffered harsher consequences, Salling's crime is of the higher social unacceptability. I can not think of a greater group of pariahs than pedophiles.

My question is why Strikeforce and Zuffa Entertainment did not know of his crimes. Most potential employers do background checks and they have the right to ask whether or not an applicant has committed felonies in his past. Unless they were expunged, Strikeforce should have known.

Since Salling's under contract, let him fight Daniel Cormier. Open weight fights don't happen often enough.

Last edited 3/4/12 1:46PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   3/4/12 1:39:35PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Chips:
Problem solved guys, I emailed Zuffa the link to download the sex offender iPhone app.

Post #21   3/4/12 3:01:07PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Joe silva needs to matchmaker in strikeforce now as well. Someone should be doing background checks of fighters they sign

Post #22   3/4/12 3:17:06PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

This reminds me of that one dude that fought in Pride with all the racist tattoos. He had bolts and crosshairs.

That was LA Giant, who is a pro-wrestler.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #23   3/4/12 3:20:41PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
the tatts on his shoulders are pretty out there but freedom of speech whatever...and no one should say anything about his lame white steel tattoo because lets not forget our beloved Cain Velasquez and his brown pride tattoo...freedom of speech is just that we accept one we better sack up and accept both. But for his past charges he shouldn't have gotten to fight and well his record sucks anyways also Thank God Bowling won.

Post #24   3/4/12 4:17:24PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,234
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
glad he lost

Post #25   3/4/12 4:42:15PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Problem solved guys, I emailed Zuffa the link to download the sex offender iPhone app.

Post #26   3/4/12 5:27:02PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
I want to start with i'm not defending the guys past actions.

i could not find details on what he did but he is registered as "Gross Sexual Imposition"

which is basically described as forcing someone into sexual contact. LINK

a child 13 or under falls into this as they are not able to give consent. this doesnt mean he raped a 13 year old. i think calling all sex offenders pedophiles is excessive.

the "WHITE STEEL" tattoo? who cares ? Cain has "BROWN PRIDE" and im sure there are a number of similar tattoos on various other fighters of different ethnic backgrounds.

Who cares if he is a racist? its not illegal to believe that being white is superior to other ethnic backgrounds no matter how ignorant it is. its also not illegal to pursue a career and make a living because your a registered sex offender. I'd rather him fighting on the undercard of a strikeforce event than collecting a government unemployment check.

there are a number of scumbags in this sport i dont see why this one should be dealt a special exclusion.

Post #27   3/4/12 6:03:13PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

i could not find details on what he did but he is registered as "Gross Sexual Imposition"

a child 13 or under falls into this as they are not able to give consent. this doesnt mean he raped a 13 year old. i think calling all sex offenders pedophiles is excessive.

the "WHITE STEEL" tattoo? who cares ? Cain has "BROWN PRIDE" and im sure there are a number of similar tattoos on various other fighters of different ethnic backgrounds.

Who cares if he is a racist? its not illegal to believe that being white is superior to other ethnic backgrounds no matter how ignorant it is. its also not illegal to pursue a career and make a living because your a registered sex offender. I'd rather him fighting on the undercard of a strikeforce event than collecting a government unemployment check.

there are a number of scumbags in this sport i dont see why this one should be dealt a special exclusion.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. It's not that he WAS allowed to fight, it's that neither Strikeforce nor Ohio were aware of his improprieties when they hired him and licensed him as a fighter.

They both admitted that they had no clue. Hence why the state of Ohio is launching a full investigation.

I hate to break it to you, but forcing someone into having sexual contact IS rape. The key word in there, as you so aptly pointed out, is forced. Also, he was 18 and she was 12. I'm pretty sure that pedophile applies in this case.

Post #28   3/4/12 6:09:32PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,945-1,125
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Post #29   3/4/12 6:18:16PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,677-1,658
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I think you're missing the point of this thread. It's not that he WAS allowed to fight, it's that neither Strikeforce nor Ohio were aware of his improprieties when they hired him and licensed him as a fighter.

They both admitted that they had no clue. Hence why the state of Ohio is launching a full investigation.

I hate to break it to you, but forcing someone into having sexual contact IS rape. The key word in there, as you so aptly pointed out, is forced. Also, he was 18 and she was 12. I'm pretty sure that pedophile applies in this case.

Oh come on you don't hate to break it to him, you love to people why their opinions are wrong but I aggree that this is obviously not hard information to obtain and the AC and Strikeforce really dropped the ball, I'm sure someone(s) catching hell for it. I'm kind of curious as to whether we would care as much if he was 17 at the time, would he still be a pedophile?

Last edited 3/4/12 6:37PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: poor spelling

Post #30   3/4/12 6:36:31PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4