Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White offers Frankie Edgar a championship fight with Jose Aldo instead

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:
"I WANT MY REMATCH!"

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar said it loud and proud earlier today, lobbying vociferously for a rematch against Ben Henderson.

UFC President Dana White tonight responded during the UFC on FX 2: "Alves vs. Kampmann" pre-fight press conference. And it's a pretty solid bet that Edgar's cauliflowered ears aren't going to be too thrilled to hear his latest statements.

"I talked to him on the phone," said White. "I think everybody is pretty clear on what I would like to see him do -- I'd like to see him go down to his natural weight of 145 pounds."

Edgar just dropped a five-round unanimous decision to "Smooth" in the UFC 144 main event at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, this past weekend, ending his nearly two-year stranglehold on the 155-pound division.

However, during that span, "The Answer" only fought two guys, albeit in a total of four championship matches.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/2/29/2834874/dana-white-frankie-edgar-ben-henderson-rematch-ufc-144-jose-aldo-featherweight-mma#storyjump

Post #1   3/1/12 12:02:11AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Edgar just got smoothed not only by Benson but Dana as well.

Post #2   3/1/12 12:16:41AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I would rather see him fight Aldo, but I get where he's coming from, he was forced to give 2 immediate rematches, so it seems pretty fair to give him his rematch after a relatively close fight, even if I'm not really interested in seeing it happen.

Post #3   3/1/12 2:54:31AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
he needs to take this fight with aldo. he may never get another guerenteed title fight especially at 155.

Post #4   3/1/12 3:10:30AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
let Edgar fight at 155, as a fighter when you lose its your pride that hurts not your body. He wants a rematch. Edgar should have to fight 1 fight at 155 then get a shot imo.

Post #5   3/1/12 3:34:31AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,456-896
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
i think a fight with Aldo wouldn't end well for Edgar. It would be interesting, and I'd like to see it, but I just don't see it ending any better for him than his fight with Henderson. A lot of people rave about Edgar's speed, and I'll concede that he is very quick in a naturally quick weight class, HOWEVER, he is also a guy with a 145 frame fighting a bunch of 155 guys. It's very impressive that he has overcome that size disadvantage he always has, but i think what you have to realize is that his speed at that weight class is what helped him a lot. What's he going to do when everyone else in the division (145) is just as fast as he is. Not only that, but you put him in with the 145 king pin in Aldo, and he'll be against the guy who is, imo, the fastest and hardest hitting guy in the weight class, and a dude with vicious leg kicks that can completely take the drive out of Edgar's take downs, and they would cause that excellent footwork to become non-existent. At that juncture Aldo would be taking pot shots at Edgar. I've made this argument multiple times before, and until I think i have a reason to believe otherwise, I will stand firmly by this thought process.

All that said, if there is one thing i've learned about Edgar, he is constantly the underdog, and he seems to thrive off of rising to the occasion and proving all those who doubt him wrong, so who knows. Few of us gave him a chance against Penn (2x) and Maynard (2x). He does seem to have a knack for making us (the fans), look stupid.

Last edited 3/1/12 11:42AM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/1/12 3:51:11AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
Edgar at 145 makes sense he's a natural 155er which puts him at a disadvantage against bigger guys in the division. He could have the size advantage at FW. I'd pick Frankie to beat Aldo. Be an awesome fight.

Post #7   3/1/12 4:01:42AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,433-817
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
screw it. let aldo fight edgar at 155. that way edgar gets to stay at his weight & we get to see a bad ass fight.
i'd pay full ppv price to see this fight alone.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #8   3/1/12 4:59:38AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Please NO rematch with Benson. I am sick of all the rematches in that weight class. Give someone else a chance (Pettis)

Post #9   3/1/12 10:31:13AM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:745-533
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I think I might pick Frankie to win this fight if it happened. I think I would pick him based on his cardio. We have seen Aldo gas before.

Post #10   3/1/12 11:06:17AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

i think a fight with Aldo wouldn't end well for Edgar. It would be interesting, and I'd like to see it, but I just don't see it ending any better for him than his fight with Hendo. A lot of people rave about Edgar's speed, and I'll concede that he is very quick in a naturally quick weight class, HOWEVER, he is also a guy with a 145 frame fighting a bunch of 155 guys. It's very impressive that he has overcome that size disadvantage he always has, but i think what you have to realize is that his speed at that weight class is what helped him a lot. What's he going to do when everyone else in the division (145) is just as fast as he is. Not only that, but you put him in with the 145 king pin in Aldo, and he'll be against the guy who is, imo, the fastest and hardest hitting guy in the weight class, and a dude with vicious leg kicks that can completely take the drive out of Edgar's take downs, and they would cause that excellent footwork to become non-existent. At that juncture Aldo would be taking pot shots at Edgar. I've made this argument multiple times before, and until I think i have a reason to believe otherwise, I will stand firmly by this thought process.

All that said, if there is one thing i've learned about Edgar, he is constantly the underdog, and he seems to thrive off of rising to the occasion and proving all those who doubt him wrong, so who knows. Few of us gave him a chance against Penn (2x) and Maynard (2x). He does seem to have a knack for making us (the fans), look stupid.

I agree and I think Edgar knows this as well.

Post #11   3/1/12 11:09:31AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Please NO rematch with Benson. I am sick of all the rematches in that weight class. Give someone else a chance (Pettis)

Irony.

Post #12   3/1/12 11:55:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I just read Benson is out 6 months!

Post #13   3/1/12 2:27:16PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

so you want to not allow Frankie a rematch, and instead give a rematch to Pettis? there both rematches...., but i agree i dont want Edgar getting immediate shot

Post #14   3/1/12 4:01:02PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
First off i dont think the fight was close enough to warrent an imediate rematch. That said, Frankie has excelled at LW beyond all of our expectations and if he wants to stay there so be it. But pasing up a title shot is a tough decision to make. I think he should go for it....if he wins he is champ....if not he goes back to LW....kind of a no brainer to me.

Last edited 3/1/12 5:04PM server time by bustedknuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   3/1/12 5:01:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2