Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Edgar: I'm Staying at 155, and I Want My Rematch

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,914-1,601
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Halt any talk about Frankie Edgar moving down to the featherweight division. Fresh off his unanimous decision loss to Ben Henderson at UFC 144, the former lightweight champion says that he's staying right where he is, and that he wants an immediate rematch.

Known for his soft-spoken style outside of the cage, Edgar made probably the most impassioned demand of his career in a Wednesday interview on The MMA Hour. After noting that he had given rematches to both Gray Maynard and BJ Penn, he said that he expects the same treatment after a close loss.

"I'm saying it, and I'm saying it loud: I want my rematch," he said. "I'm not going to have these antics or play these games. I'm telling you want I want. This is what I want. I think it's fair. I think the fans want to see it. It was fight of the night. Listen, even if these guys want to see me get beat up, I do get beat up in a lot of my fights, even in the fights I win, so it’s win-win for everybody."

Link

Post #1   2/29/12 3:03:05PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't want to see you beat up Frankie, I want to see you pwn some more fools, and then fight Pettis for the lw title. Too many rematches in the same weight class causes stagnation. It sucks for Frankie, but that's the nature of the game.

Post #2   2/29/12 3:51:13PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:
If he wants to stay at 155 I'd like to see him get at least 1 win, preferably 2 before he gets a shot at the title again. I know the fight was close but it doesn't mean there has to be an instant rematch. Maybe he should fight the winner of Diaz and Miller?

Post #3   2/29/12 4:11:59PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:
Frankie is gonna have a tough time getting that belt back from Bendo, his striking is just too diverse for Edgar. He would keep it close but imo 145 is where Edgar truly belongs

Post #4   2/29/12 4:43:35PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
So let me get this straight, Frankie had to immediately rematch Penn and Maynard, but none of you feel as though he deserves an immediate rematch? That seems fair.

Post #5   2/29/12 4:51:22PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

So let me get this straight, Frankie had to immediately rematch Penn and Maynard, but none of you feel as though he deserves an immediate rematch? That seems fair.

Different situations. I personally didn't feel Penn should have got the rematch (Although I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me). The Maynard one had to happen because it was a draw. I'm a massive Frankie Edgar fan, I just don't believe that last fight deserves a rematch. The fight was close but Bendo clearly won 3 out of the 5 rounds imo.

Last edited 2/29/12 5:11PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/29/12 5:08:35PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think it is unfair to consider the Maynard fight, seeing as it was a DRAW!!! how do you not rematch a draw for the title, if they did not do that then you have Maynard with win and draw over the title holder, plus a Draw should always warrant a rematch. so its really the rematch with bj when there wasn't really anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, he lost this fight pretty clearly, Henderson looked like he just went for jog instead being in a 5 rd fight while frank looked like he was in a bad car wreck. sux he gets screwed but he is prb one fight away from another title shot or an immediate shot at Aldo if he drops. plus the timing just sux for edgar, with all the rematches the LW title just had it was just enough is enough with title rematches, new fights are needed

Post #7   2/29/12 5:10:46PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I agree the Maynard fight was a draw, but it would be ridiculous not to give Frankie a rematch after Penn got one against him and all the amazing fights he's put on for the UFC. Pettis KO'd Joe Lauzon...when was the last time he was mentioned anywhere near title contention? And for Dana to announce he wants Frankie to change weight classes is retarted too why would a champ and p4p fighter change weight classes just because Dana White says so?

Post #8   2/29/12 5:26:34PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Edgar is better off at LW. If he were to move down, he'd lose the speed advantage that he uses so effectively now.

. . . And I don't think he deserves an immediate rematch. Immediate rematches should be reserved for 1) fights that ended in a draw or some kind of no-fault NC 2) highly controversial losses.

It sucks for Frankie because that's what happened to him twice, and some might argue that loss to Bendo is controversial. But to me the loss was fairly clear-cut, and the state of the LW division as a result of all the recent title rematches is such that another rematch is not desirable right now.

If he gets a win or two, he'll get another shot.

Post #9   2/29/12 5:33:05PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 39-50

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,612-1,018
Chips:
Edgar aint ready for a rematch. If he gets thrown right back in there with Bendo its gonna warrant the same result. & I dont wanna see a re-run of 144.

Edgar gotta take some time off, clear his head. Hes too focused on the past. He should really consider dropping. Your so tiny Frankie!!!

Post #10   2/29/12 5:45:53PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:832-583
Chips:
I think Frankie won the fight so I agree with the rematch but with that being said I would pick Benson to win the fight. I think Benson would apply a better strategy this time around and I personally think he would handle Frankie a 2nd time around.

Post #11   2/29/12 5:53:26PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
i dont really want to see this rematch but i would watch it, then again i watch every fight so i dont really count. i would be lore interested in bendo vs pettis rematch

Post #12   2/29/12 5:57:56PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I didn't think the fight was close at all. So I don't see a reason for a rematch.

Is its just me or does Edgar come off like he won the 2nd fight with Maynard.

Post #13   2/29/12 6:08:06PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I like Edgar but I don't want to see this rematch. I would prefer he pulls two or maybe three wins together and then challenge for the title. If he was to do this and succeed and become champion again, he will have sealed himself as a legend of mixed martial arts.

Regarding the Edgar vs Henderson fight, I felt it was very close but the aura in the octagon sort of hinted Edgar was wilting a bit. I have watched the fight three times now and each time I tried to look for something different. But no matter what I looked for, one thing always stood out and that was Benson being the hungrier and more desperate fighter which tells me Benson's desire to become a ufc champion was greater than Edgar's desire to defend the championship. This is not a knock on Edgar. I like the kid and he has an amazing heart but his will was definitely overshadowed by Benson Hernderson's when they fought.

Post #14   2/29/12 7:01:08PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:817-397
Chips:
I'd like to see Bendo v Pettis first...

Then rematch Frankie...

But to be honest - I kind of agree with what Dana is saying. If Frankie wants an interim challenge, maybe he should try his hand at the lighter weight-class.

I wouldn't mind seeing this rematch though - later in 2012.

Edgar has so much heart and while I don't think the decision was controversial, it was close enough that I think he should be staying in title contention. He provides enough of a challenge to Bendo that it will always keep the fight interesting.

I'd rather see intense rematches like this than fights with easy wins and obvious favourites.

Post #15   2/29/12 7:14:21PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2