Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake Ellenberger: Carlos Condit Doesn’t Want Rematch

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,433-817
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
“I think the fans do want it, but at the same time, I don’t know if that’s what the UFC wants or not,” Ellenberger told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I really don’t. If it was up to me, then yeah, we’d probably be fighting in May or June, but I don’t know if that’s what the UFC wants. I think they kind of still put it in Condit’s hands, but I know Carlos. I know his manager, and I know they don’t want that fight. But again, if I put myself in their shoes, I don’t blame them.”

Sherdog

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #1   2/22/12 1:20:28AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
yea i think carlos deserves a shot at GSP first as long as it doesnt get drug out any farhter than fall 2012. carlos has dealt with a lot of shit all in the name of that original title shot he was promised.

Post #2   2/22/12 1:47:41AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Why didn't he call him out after winning the main event on a televised card over a well known fighter?

And I know it's not Jake's style to call someone out, but by that I mean saying `hey if GSP isn't ready to go by (so and so time) I'd be more than happy to throw down again with you Carlos`.

I was expecting it.

Last edited 2/22/12 2:55AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/22/12 2:53:44AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Chips:
I feel Condit absolutely needs to fight Ellenberger. Condit was only in line for a shot after Diaz was pulled from the GSP fight. Sure, Condit got screwed after that, getting pulled from the card after GSP was injured, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately.

I know this

But Interim titles are created so that a belt can be defended while a champion is out indefinitely. If Carlos doesn't fight until GSP comes back then the interim title was a complete waste of time.

Hypothetical scenario #1: Condit fights Ellenberger, loses his interim belt.

Hypothetical scenario #2: Condit beats GSP, becomes undisputed champ, then loses to Ellenberger.

Which hurts more? I say #2. Of course, there is hypothetical scenario #3 where Condit beats everyone, but for the sake of this argument (Condit sitting out for GSP), I think Condit should fight. For himself, and for the fans.

Just my $.02.

Post #4   2/22/12 4:58:00AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I feel Condit absolutely needs to fight Ellenberger. Condit was only in line for a shot after Diaz was pulled from the GSP fight. Sure, Condit got screwed after that, getting pulled from the card after GSP was injured, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately.

I know this

But Interim titles are created so that a belt can be defended while a champion is out indefinitely. If Carlos doesn't fight until GSP comes back then the interim title was a complete waste of time.

Hypothetical scenario #2: Condit beats GSP, becomes undisputed champ, then loses to Ellenberger.

Which hurts more? I say #2. Of course, there is hypothetical scenario #3 where Condit beats everyone, but for the sake of this argument (Condit sitting out for GSP), I think Condit should fight. For himself, and for the fans.

Just my $.02.

Condit needs to fight Ellenberger, sure. He doesn't need to fight him now, though.

No offense to Ellenberger and I don't intend this to come across as fighter bashing, but Ellenberger hasn't really done shit to earn a title shot. Interim or otherwise.

Before people get all up in arms, I realize he's won 6 fights in a row and that his loss to Condit was via SD. With that said, Condit has made just as many improvements during that time as Ellenberger.

Ellenberger's most notable victory came against a man who just lost his father. I'm not saying that he still wouldn't have won the fight or that he's incapable of beating Shields, but that's a rough estimate of his skillset considering how much he struggled against a Diego Sanchez that cannot seem to pick a division and is now 2-3 in his last 5 (I'll give you that he got FOTN on 3 of those).

Ellenberger showed serious holes in his game against Sanchez and I sort of feel like he should have to prove himself one more time. Personally, I think Johny Hendricks has more of a claim than Ellenberger. Say whatever you want to say, but Hendricks straight blasted Fitch and finished him for the first time in AGES.

Alas, Hendricks is set to face Koscheck in a fight that is basically a lateral move from his fight with Fitch. I actually think it's a step down if anything. Prior to Hendricks, Fitch was unbeatable by anyone not named GSP in the UFC. Koscheck doesn't really have anything that Fitch doesn't have either. Both fighters are wrestlers. Koscheck may have been the better collegiate wrestler, but Fitch is by far the better MMA wrestler. Koscheck might have more power in his hands, but neither one of them have more than Hendricks.

With Diaz completely out of the picture, barring a miracle with the NSAC, it really leaves Ellenberger sitting pretty unless Dana wants to shelve Condit until after Hendricks and Koscheck fight and I cannot see him doing that.

At the end of the day, it doesn't fucking matter what Malki wants. Dana will make the matchup with Ellenberger whether or not Kawa wants this fight. I don't think Ellenberger deserves it yet, but he certainly seems like he's going to get the de facto shot.

Last edited 2/22/12 6:48AM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   2/22/12 6:46:31AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Lots of words

You have many good points, too many to quote directly.

I think you are right about this being the de facto fight to make. There's the SD from the past fight, the trash talk, win streaks... It's a no-brainer.

I personally wish that Rick Story wasn't on a two fight losing streak right now. I would love to see a rematch between "The Horror" and "The Juggernaut" in the UFC. That would play out nicely; winner of that fight could take on the Hendricks-Kos winner. But alas, that's not likely at this juncture. All of that would also leave Condit without a title defense, though. Which is what I know I want to see.

I don't know if it's me, or just the sheer number of cards these days tricking me, but it seems like title fights are few and far between these days. And it F'n blows. We've had like two HW title fights in two years? Four LW title fights in two years? GSP is out, Anderson is out... Hell, it will probably be ten months between Dominick Cruz's last fight and his next title defense, and he's not even hurt. (not to my recollection anyhow)

Post #6   2/22/12 7:58:17AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by pmoney

I know this

Just my $.02.

Condit needs to fight Ellenberger, sure. He doesn't need to fight him now, though.

No offense to Ellenberger and I don't intend this to come across as fighter bashing, but Ellenberger hasn't really done shit to earn a title shot. Interim or otherwise.

Before people get all up in arms, I realize he's won 6 fights in a row and that his loss to Condit was via SD. With that said, Condit has made just as many improvements during that time as Ellenberger.

Ellenberger's most notable victory came against a man who just lost his father. I'm not saying that he still wouldn't have won the fight or that he's incapable of beating Shields, but that's a rough estimate of his skillset considering how much he struggled against a Diego Sanchez that cannot seem to pick a division and is now 2-3 in his last 5 (I'll give you that he got FOTN on 3 of those).

Ellenberger showed serious holes in his game against Sanchez and I sort of feel like he should have to prove himself one more time. Personally, I think Johny Hendricks has more of a claim than Ellenberger. Say whatever you want to say, but Hendricks straight blasted Fitch and finished him for the first time in AGES.

Alas, Hendricks is set to face Koscheck in a fight that is basically a lateral move from his fight with Fitch. I actually think it's a step down if anything. Prior to Hendricks, Fitch was unbeatable by anyone not named GSP in the UFC. Koscheck doesn't really have anything that Fitch doesn't have either. Both fighters are wrestlers. Koscheck may have been the better collegiate wrestler, but Fitch is by far the better MMA wrestler. Koscheck might have more power in his hands, but neither one of them have more than Hendricks.

With Diaz completely out of the picture, barring a miracle with the NSAC, it really leaves Ellenberger sitting pretty unless Dana wants to shelve Condit until after Hendricks and Koscheck fight and I cannot see him doing that.

At the end of the day, it doesn't fucking matter what Malki wants. Dana will make the matchup with Ellenberger whether or not Kawa wants this fight. I don't think Ellenberger deserves it yet, but he certainly seems like he's going to get the de facto shot.

Or Ellenberger does what he did before and destroys Condit.

Post #7   2/22/12 12:03:59PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,498-1,432
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Great point as usual. Condit really got destroyed in that fight he won...

Do you read the garbage you post?

Post #8   2/22/12 12:11:14PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,013-583
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by ghandikush

Post #9   2/22/12 1:36:34PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by ghandikush

In fairness, if it was a one round fight, then Ellenberger would've won.

They don't have one round fights? Oh.

Post #10   2/22/12 4:06:08PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Considering that I never said anything about Ellenberger vs. Condit other than Ellenberger doesn't deserve it yet, I'm just going to assume that you can't read.

Post #11   2/22/12 4:09:41PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ghandikush

Considering that I never said anything about Ellenberger vs. Condit other than Ellenberger doesn't deserve it yet, I'm just going to assume that you can't read.

Post #12   2/22/12 5:13:32PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

you think that was a destruction?
please explain.....

Post #13   2/22/12 5:52:49PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Condit needs to wait for GSP, more money and the biggest chance to beat him. Ring rust in no myth

Post #14   2/22/12 6:13:42PM   

FR33B1RD

Banned for Cheating

FR33B1RD Avatar

Career:679-366
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Is this the gangbang gandikush hour?

When I saw it live I had it 29-28 Jake but I would've scored the fight a draw the second time I saw the fight because I gave Condit the last two rounds. But I still gave Jake the first round 10-8 easily with no debate. There's no way Condit won that fight, it's too bad judges are such pussies and dont give out 10-8s when they are warranted, especially when you almost get ktfo twice (which could've been stopped as a tko) and almost get choked.

The only other fight I can remember where the judges completetly miss a blatant 10-8 was Maldonado vs McSweeney fight where I think the judges not only didnt give Maldonado a 10-8 round but had McSweeney winning...

Post #15   2/22/12 6:14:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2