Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

JAKE ELLENBERGER: CARDIO WASN’T AN ISSUE AGAINST DIEGO SANCHEZ

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,788-1,528
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Jake Ellenberger was impressive in his Feb. 15 victory over Diego Sanchez at UFC on Fuel 1, but after a difficult third round, some questioned rather he almost ran out of gas in the fight.

In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Ellenberger made it clear that his cardio was fine.

“At no time did I feel like I hit a wall,” he said. “I’ve done it before. When I fought Carlos Condit the first time, I hit a wall. I’ve definitely felt that before. I know what it’s like to gas.”

After Ellenberger won the first and second rounds, Sanchez rallied to claim the third. He took Ellenberger’s back in that final period and peppered him with punches while threatening with a rear-naked choke. Ellenberger still won the unanimous decision, though, and instead of attributing the one round he lost to conditioning, he credits Sanchez.

Link

Post #1   2/21/12 10:43:43AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
had it been 5 rounds, Jake would have been far slower entering the 4th round

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   2/21/12 12:05:58PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,526-871
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
if he knows its a 3 round fight, why should he leave any in the gas tank for rounds 4 or 5?

he might have thrown more weight into his punches the entire fight bc he knew it was only 3 rounds & didnt want to have anything left when the fight was over.....

i know sanchez was wearing him out, but that would make anyone tired to have him on you like that at the end of round 3

just dont think it's fair to judge fighters who train for 3 round fights on how they wouldve done in rounds 4 & 5

Last edited 2/21/12 12:43PM server time by Poor_Franklin
Edit note/reason: putting my thoughts into words has not been easy today
2 total post edits

Post #3   2/21/12 12:27:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
fair point, you get props

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   2/21/12 1:33:15PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i agree, i never thought jake looked tired. a tired fighter would probably have given up the choke in the 3rd with diego on their back. if anybody doesnt know, diego is a very high level grappler. he has rolled with some of the best grapplers in the world and has done very well. i think ellenberger did a great job shutting diego down. jake could be a future champ.

Post #5   2/21/12 10:01:39PM   

scrappydoo303

Learning to Sprawl

Career:133-92
Chips:
Very good point about ellenberger only training for a 3 round fight instead of a 5 round fight. Hadn't really crossed my mind so with that in mind the credit should go to diego but I think diego has insane cardio like guida and had it been 5 rounds even with ellenberger training for 5 rounds it could have posed a much bigger threat for ellenberger but nonetheless I think ellenberger would have still taken the decision

Post #6   2/22/12 2:05:05PM